Skirt paraphernalia

For those do-it-yourselfers...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt paraphernalia

Post by denimini »

I have never heard of these but it turned up in my skirt searches on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Millwards-v ... SwLEJeMpoM
I probably will never use it but I bought it, perhaps it might allay my worries about the hem being too high at the back.
"your skirt is too short"
"Oh, I had better check it with my skirt level"

There is one on UK eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILWARDS-SK ... SwiCRUdv7~

.......... and the US
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILWARDS-SK ... Sw95lbI~Ik
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt paraphernalia

Post by Coder »

Interesting - a device to chalk a skirt before hemming. I bought an antique device on eBay - but floor mounted - for decoration. Similar concept. Your one would work much better - the floor mounted version is only for long skirts, of which I have two, and will never have the gumption to wear out, but would love to.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm[...] long skirts, of which I have two, and will never have the gumption to wear out, but would love to.
Long skirts are wonderful things -- much better suited for wearing than taking up space in a closet.

Most of mine are below-the-knee with several ankle-length skirts and one outright floor-sweeper. All of them get mileage "out and about" save for the floor-sweeper at the moment because I've lost too much weight and it's too big for me right now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:27 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm[...] long skirts, of which I have two, and will never have the gumption to wear out, but would love to.
Long skirts are wonderful things -- much better suited for wearing than taking up space in a closet.

Most of mine are below-the-knee with several ankle-length skirts and one outright floor-sweeper. All of them get mileage "out and about" save for the floor-sweeper at the moment because I've lost too much weight and it's too big for me right now.
For clarification - one ankle-length white to blue ombre skirt. Would like to wear this one day, maybe.

The other longer than midi but above my ankles, olive green with short side pleats at the bottom. I will wear this one day, but it will take me some time to work up the courage.

The rest fall at or above my knee, with one or two midi skirts.

So far, I’ve not needed to hem any skirts but I have one I want to let the hem out of.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I remember the skirt/dress marker from my aunts. A few aunts made most of their clothes. To make the hem even all around, they put on the skirt or dress, adjusted the marker to the right heigth and puffed the powder while twirling slowly around. As a kid I found this very interesting because it looked like some outlandish ritual at first.

The marker was mounted on a vertical pipe that had a heavy foot. White and blue powder was available to have a contrasting color with the various colors of the fabric.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak