Jeans-to-skirt Conversion

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Jeans-to-skirt Conversion

Post by Grok »

Maybe this doesn't belong in the sewing section, because this project uses fabric glue instead of sewing. But I didn't know where else to put it.

Google "DIY Denim Cut-off Skirt (No Sewing)".
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jeans-to-skirt Conversion

Post by r.m.anderson »

Grok wrote:Maybe this doesn't belong in the sewing section, because this project uses fabric glue instead of sewing. But I didn't know where else to put it.

Google "DIY Denim Cut-off Skirt (No Sewing)".
It belongs here - no problem !

Some leather garments are not sewn but glued together but not at stress points.
So it would be possible to glue denim or other fabrics.
There are modern day glues that are strong enough to do the job but the flexibility of the joined
pieces and parts could be a problem again those stress points.
May need a tack or a rivet to keep the parts together.

Use of rubber cement or a tacky glue maybe useful in garment construction holding things together
until a sewing bond can be done.

In the case of gluing the hem (not a critical stress point) would be a good idea - if the glue used
is solvent based and can be removed the hem would be adjustable - rubber cement comes to mind
in alterations of leather skirts.

Use of glue in construction is not foreign just note that some glues are damaging and it is a one time job.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

r.m.anderson wrote: It belongs here - no problem !
Thank you! :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have had a pair of jeans that I purchased from a thrift store. This garment fits me very well, so I scribbled down information from the tags-Levi 505 jeans, W 36 L 30.

In a thrift store I found Levi 505 jeans, W 36 L 36.

Purchased fabric glue today. Have ruler and pencil.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Multi-step Process

Post by Grok »

Step 1. Find instructions. I had been thinking about this project-then I found the fabric glue option.

Step 2. Collect materials. Basically, find a suitable pair of old jeans. Searched in thrift stores for awhile. Already had scissors, ruler and pencil. Fabric glue was a quick purchase.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Multi-step Process

Post by Grok »

Step 3. Cutting off sections of jeans legs.

Laid the jeans flat on my living room floor, with legs together. Laid on top of the jeans Macabi knee length skirt, with the skirt's waist at the jeans waist. (I have been thinking of a knee length jean skirt).

As the jean legs-when laid flat-are essentially two layers of fabric, I used clamps to hold these layers together, a little below the Macabi hem.

Used the ruler and pencil to draw lines on the denim about an inch below the Macabi hem.

Then I used scissors to cut across these lines. I saved the sundered sections of jean legs.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Multi-step Process

Post by Grok »

Step 4. Cutting through the crotch.

Placed the (now) shorts with the front up. Jeans have a heavy duty seam up the insides of the legs and in the crotch. I cut below and along this seam, so that the seam is still attached to the front. While cutting I used my fingers to make sure that I didn't cut anything I didn't intend to cut.

The crotch is now open.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

BTW, I clamped using clips from the office supply section of a drug store.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Step 5. Excess material in the rear.

Flipped the thing so the front was down. Folded over to the right excess material down to the crotch, creating a sort of triangular fold. I used fabric glue (outdoors for ventilation) to fasten this fold to the material below.

Thought about, and decided that I wasn't entirely comfortable with a garment held together with glue. So I hand sewed the triangular section to the material below.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Showed my project to a co-worker who does sewing projects. She indicated that fabric glue might be okay for creating a hem at the bottom, but advised that I should sew the other parts rather than relying on glue. Because the glue's integrity may degrade after going through the washing machine a few times.

She advised me to get a seam ripper, heavy duty needles, and thimble. Suggested hem tape.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Step 6

My coworker advised me to use a seam ripper to remove the seam of the crotch/inner legs. I placed a large, wooden clipboard over my lap and legs. I placed the project on the clipboard, and taking care not to cut myself, I attacked the seam. I aimed the blade away from myself while cutting. The seam came off fairly easily-the blade is razor sharp.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Interesting; I never thought of using glue with clothing. I wondered about the origins of that curved seam on many of my minis ....... as if they were made on the jeans assembly line.
Grok wrote:Step 5.
Thought about, and decided that I wasn't entirely comfortable with a garment held together with glue. So I hand sewed the triangular section to the material below.
Modern aircraft are held together with glue. A skirt adhesive failure would not be such a disaster ................ although there is a thread relating to flying in skirts :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I use fabric glue for stubborn pieces of fabric. After glueing, I always stitch the seam.

Glueing is a neat way to assemble the pieces but I would stitch anyway. To have it look like a normal seam, you have to fold the upper part to give the seam a normal appearance.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote:
Glueing is a neat way to assemble the pieces but I would stitch anyway.
Better than using dozens of pins I imagine.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

denimini wrote:
beachlion wrote:
Glueing is a neat way to assemble the pieces but I would stitch anyway.
Better than using dozens of pins I imagine.
I wished that was true. The glue needs time to cure and in the time it takes to cure, I could finish a garment, pinning included.

I use the glue mainly to fix small holes and rips. I glue a piece of the same fabric behind the hole and later stitch over the spot with thread in the same color.

There is also double sided tape, also to get unruly seams flat. It is a hassle to apply. First peeling off the protective layer and later to get the seam perfectly flat over the tape.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak