Stealth dress

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Stealth dress

Post by beachlion »

I like to widen my horizon with dresses. With skirts between tolerated and accepted with my wife and her friends, a dress might be a bridge too far. I made already a few dresses and the feeling of freedom was even at a higher level than with skirts. So I was thinking to introduce a dress in a sneaky way and the stealth dress idea was born.
I like to combine a normal upper body piece of clothing with a skirt. I ordered two different colors of light denim and started to make a T-shirt like top and a skirt. Halfway it ocurred to me that a real T-shirt would do the trick also. I made another skirt part and connected it with a T-shirt from my drawer. To emphasize the skirt idea I added belt loops and made a sort of belt from the denim fabric.
As usual, I'm not convinced it will work as a garment let alone be accepted in the field as a regular piece of clothing.
P1010401q.jpg
P1010411q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stealth dress

Post by Fred in Skirts »

From the photos it looks good to me. It actually does look like a 2 piece outfit.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Question:
With a skirt you step into and fasten about the waist either by zipper button or wrap (Velcro).
With a dress you would do the same except in some cases it is a simple pull on with
a back or front closing.
Your "T" design how do you get into that mode - doesn't seem to be much wiggle room ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

r.m.anderson wrote:Question:
With a skirt you step into and fasten about the waist either by zipper button or wrap (Velcro).
With a dress you would do the same except in some cases it is a simple pull on with
a back or front closing.
Your "T" design how do you get into that mode - doesn't seem to be much wiggle room ?
I'm not built like the Hulk so I can pull the dress over my head and pull it down. The dimensions are finely engineered so it goes on without much hassle or seam ripping.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

beachlion wrote:I like to widen my horizon with dresses. With skirts between tolerated and accepted with my wife and her friends, a dress might be a bridge too far. I made already a few dresses and the feeling of freedom was even at a higher level than with skirts. So I was thinking to introduce a dress in a sneaky way and the stealth dress idea was born.
I like to combine a normal upper body piece of clothing with a skirt. I ordered two different colors of light denim and started to make a T-shirt like top and a skirt. Halfway it ocurred to me that a real T-shirt would do the trick also. I made another skirt part and connected it with a T-shirt from my drawer. To emphasize the skirt idea I added belt loops and made a sort of belt from the denim fabric.
As usual, I'm not convinced it will work as a garment let alone be accepted in the field as a regular piece of clothing.
The stealth dress looks great on you and the heels look nice and comfortable too. :)
Looks like a block heel. I find that they're more stable to walk in than a thin, stiletto heel.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

shadowfax wrote:...... The stealth dress looks great on you and the heels look nice and comfortable too. :)
Looks like a block heel. I find that they're more stable to walk in than a thin, stiletto heel.
High heels are experiments for me and I have no intention to show them to my direct surroundings for the time being. Even with high heels I try to stay away as much as possible from female looks. That means no pointed toes or stilettos. Beside stability of stilettos, the clicking on hard surfaces is also something I try to avoid. I see it as a sensual aspect that should go with women.

I still have not found the balls to go out with shoes with a smaller toe box like ballet flats or similar forms with higher heels. I'm testing those new territories when I go to the beach and shop for a drink at a gas station on my way home. Maybe tomorrow ....
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

beachlion wrote:
shadowfax wrote:...... The stealth dress looks great on you and the heels look nice and comfortable too. :)
High heels are experiments for me and I have no intention to show them to my direct surroundings for the time being. Even with high heels I try to stay away as much as possible from female looks. That means no pointed toes or stilettos. Beside stability of stilettos, the clicking on hard surfaces is also something I try to avoid. I see it as a sensual aspect that should go with women.

I still have not found the balls to go out with shoes with a smaller toe box like ballet flats or similar forms with higher heels. I'm testing those new territories when I go to the beach and shop for a drink at a gas station on my way home. Maybe tomorrow ....
Go for it! :D
Remember your signature, "All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak". :wink: :)

Earlier today, I walked over to the local shop skirted, wearing tan support tights (pantyhose) and nude colour, stiletto heels. :) Man's shirt though. :wink:
Picture of outfit on page 3 of my Pics and Looks thread.
I felt like a change from my usual, block heeled MJ shoes, though I must admit that the stilettos are less easy to walk in than the block heels. So I rarely wear stiletto heels.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Like I said yesterday, I went to the beach and bought my usual drinks at the gas station. I had with me ballet flats and wore them into the shop. I tried to take pictures but could not point the action cam in the right direction. So you have to take my word for that. ;)
I had the impression a few people were looking at my outfit but I don't study that behavior anymore. I filled two drinks at the fountain, pressed the lids on and rammed straws through the top. You have to be very careful to close the lid properly or the liquid might fill the cupholders and overflow. Don't ask how I know that. The automated register was without its auto pilot so a woman had to operate the touch screen. When she saw my skirt and shoes she just smiled and said to have a nice day. It had been a very warm day at the beach so the two 32 ounce buckets (almost a liter each) were gone in record time.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Really like the look. You have a great eye for style. Looks comfortable too
:roll:
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

beachlion wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm I like to widen my horizon with dresses. With skirts between tolerated and accepted with my wife and her friends, a dress might be a bridge too far. I made already a few dresses and the feeling of freedom was even at a higher level than with skirts. So I was thinking to introduce a dress in a sneaky way and the stealth dress idea was born.

P1010401q.jpg
P1010411q.jpg
A great look I think!
I have many dresses that resemble this concept. Its quite common for dresses to resemble this and be manufactured with the appearance of a top/skirt combination. Usually mine have a side zip from underarm to low hip - and a few have back zippers but what you are doing is just the same in essence.

On a side note: being a follower and wear of dress trends - the cap sleeved look or quarter sleeves to above elbow is on trend and high necklines are on trend - so this design you have is also very current!!!!
Love that you wear it with a pump as I think a skirt/dress just looks better with a low vamp shoe.

Tip for high heels - pumps must be snug fitting - they should fit very snuggly so that your heel won't lift out. You shouldn't rely on ankle straps to keep you in your heels. (also ankle straps will cut your leg in a line which has the effect of shortening your legs - which defats the purpose of wearing a high heel?

Anyway - great dress style ! Well done !

cheers
NZF
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:14 am...... Tip for high heels - pumps must be snug fitting - they should fit very snuggly so that your heel won't lift out. You shouldn't rely on ankle straps to keep you in your heels. (also ankle straps will cut your leg in a line which has the effect of shortening your legs - which defats the purpose of wearing a high heel? .......
I am with you on this. For me shoes are quite telling about the wearer, especially women. I believe part of the character of the person can be seen from the style and state of the shoes.

Shoes and especially pumps should have a snug fit. Otherwise it will look like you are prancing around in your big sister's shoes. Shoes and legs should have elegant flowing lines. My chunky heels are a slight break in those lines but I don't like the clicking sound of stiletto's for me. It attracts too much attention. Straps in general are interrupting those flowing lines. That is why I don't like mary janes. The thinner ankle straps are OK with sandals (which I don't have).

I have a size 9 (male US) and a size 11 (female US) has a good fit. Only a few pairs I had to stretch a little so I feel lucky in this case.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi,

I don't ever really wear flats anymore - I wear heels all the time. For me I find my stiletto heels quieter than block heels - especially in malls/concrete floors. Block heels clunk lounder whereas my stiletto has a click noise. At night time I'd be more worried about a block heel for safety because they make more noise I find - especially in the city.

cheers
NZF
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Last year I started a second stealth dress but I lost confidence in the concept and stopped almost at the end. A week ago I stumbled upon the dress because a pin pricked my finger when I browsed through some fabric.
I finished the last stitches and tried it on. I made two slits to the sides of the neck opening. I will attach two buttons there to close the gap.

I'm still not convinced it will work. I added a belt to have a visible break. I think it was an improvement so I ordered two black elastic belts.
P1010090q.jpg
P1010094q.jpg
P1010101q.jpg
P1010102q.jpg
To my feeling, the belt is diminishing the feeling of freedom from the shoulders down. I'm afraid I have to compromise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

beachlion wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:56 pm Last year I started a second stealth dress but I lost confidence in the concept and stopped almost at the end. A week ago I stumbled upon the dress because a pin pricked my finger when I browsed through some fabric.
I finished the last stitches and tried it on. I made two slits to the sides of the neck opening. I will attach two buttons there to close the gap.

I'm still not convinced it will work. I added a belt to have a visible break. I think it was an improvement so I ordered two black elastic belts.

P1010090q.jpg

P1010094q.jpg

P1010101q.jpg

P1010102q.jpg

To my feeling, the belt is diminishing the feeling of freedom from the shoulders down. I'm afraid I have to compromise.
Wow - great work!
I'm no good at sewing etc - but you've got some skills there!

I have several dresses with belt loops at the waist - you could sew some very fine (cotton loops) on each side for the belt to go through? That is quite common and will make sure the belt stays on the skirt/top join line as a visual break-point....

Wouldn't a back zip be the quickest easiest way of sewing in a means of putting it on? Buttons mean there will be gaps/openings, - or more buttons required whereas the zips can be invisible or a bold featured zipper.

And as for the fitted feeling from shoulders down - well - most of my dresses do just that, they are quite fitted in the bodice and waist, but there is always an inch or two of freedom and when lined they are very comfy and don't cling to your body. Fairly common for a dress. But personally I think the wonderful thing is that 1 piece is so much easier than 2 - there is no untucking to worry about - or trying to smooth a top into your skirt waist etc... or thinking does this top work with this skirt??? The dress solves all these small issues! And some a-line dresses have pockets too !

I reckon that you should be commended here.. well done and it is very covert looking, sure its a dress but it doesn't appear up front as a dress !!

cheers
NZF
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think that garment looks better with the visual separation of the belt ......... which defeats the purpose of the exercise. It might be OK without a belt if the change of material was about 70mm lower.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia