Stealth dress

For those do-it-yourselfers...

Stealth dress

Postby beachlion » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I like to widen my horizon with dresses. With skirts between tolerated and accepted with my wife and her friends, a dress might be a bridge too far. I made already a few dresses and the feeling of freedom was even at a higher level than with skirts. So I was thinking to introduce a dress in a sneaky way and the stealth dress idea was born.
I like to combine a normal upper body piece of clothing with a skirt. I ordered two different colors of light denim and started to make a T-shirt like top and a skirt. Halfway it ocurred to me that a real T-shirt would do the trick also. I made another skirt part and connected it with a T-shirt from my drawer. To emphasize the skirt idea I added belt loops and made a sort of belt from the denim fabric.
As usual, I'm not convinced it will work as a garment let alone be accepted in the field as a regular piece of clothing.

P1010401q.jpg

P1010411q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stealth dress

Postby Fred in Skirts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:35 pm

From the photos it looks good to me. It actually does look like a 2 piece outfit.

Fred
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Postby r.m.anderson » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Question:
With a skirt you step into and fasten about the waist either by zipper button or wrap (Velcro).
With a dress you would do the same except in some cases it is a simple pull on with
a back or front closing.
Your "T" design how do you get into that mode - doesn't seem to be much wiggle room ?
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Postby beachlion » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:45 pm

r.m.anderson wrote:Question:
With a skirt you step into and fasten about the waist either by zipper button or wrap (Velcro).
With a dress you would do the same except in some cases it is a simple pull on with
a back or front closing.
Your "T" design how do you get into that mode - doesn't seem to be much wiggle room ?

I'm not built like the Hulk so I can pull the dress over my head and pull it down. The dimensions are finely engineered so it goes on without much hassle or seam ripping.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Postby shadowfax » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:14 pm

beachlion wrote:I like to widen my horizon with dresses. With skirts between tolerated and accepted with my wife and her friends, a dress might be a bridge too far. I made already a few dresses and the feeling of freedom was even at a higher level than with skirts. So I was thinking to introduce a dress in a sneaky way and the stealth dress idea was born.
I like to combine a normal upper body piece of clothing with a skirt. I ordered two different colors of light denim and started to make a T-shirt like top and a skirt. Halfway it ocurred to me that a real T-shirt would do the trick also. I made another skirt part and connected it with a T-shirt from my drawer. To emphasize the skirt idea I added belt loops and made a sort of belt from the denim fabric.
As usual, I'm not convinced it will work as a garment let alone be accepted in the field as a regular piece of clothing.

The stealth dress looks great on you and the heels look nice and comfortable too. :)
Looks like a block heel. I find that they're more stable to walk in than a thin, stiletto heel.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Postby beachlion » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:08 pm

shadowfax wrote:...... The stealth dress looks great on you and the heels look nice and comfortable too. :)
Looks like a block heel. I find that they're more stable to walk in than a thin, stiletto heel.

High heels are experiments for me and I have no intention to show them to my direct surroundings for the time being. Even with high heels I try to stay away as much as possible from female looks. That means no pointed toes or stilettos. Beside stability of stilettos, the clicking on hard surfaces is also something I try to avoid. I see it as a sensual aspect that should go with women.

I still have not found the balls to go out with shoes with a smaller toe box like ballet flats or similar forms with higher heels. I'm testing those new territories when I go to the beach and shop for a drink at a gas station on my way home. Maybe tomorrow ....
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Postby shadowfax » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm

beachlion wrote:
shadowfax wrote:...... The stealth dress looks great on you and the heels look nice and comfortable too. :)

High heels are experiments for me and I have no intention to show them to my direct surroundings for the time being. Even with high heels I try to stay away as much as possible from female looks. That means no pointed toes or stilettos. Beside stability of stilettos, the clicking on hard surfaces is also something I try to avoid. I see it as a sensual aspect that should go with women.

I still have not found the balls to go out with shoes with a smaller toe box like ballet flats or similar forms with higher heels. I'm testing those new territories when I go to the beach and shop for a drink at a gas station on my way home. Maybe tomorrow ....

Go for it! :D
Remember your signature, "All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak". :wink: :)

Earlier today, I walked over to the local shop skirted, wearing tan support tights (pantyhose) and nude colour, stiletto heels. :) Man's shirt though. :wink:
Picture of outfit on page 3 of my Pics and Looks thread.
I felt like a change from my usual, block heeled MJ shoes, though I must admit that the stilettos are less easy to walk in than the block heels. So I rarely wear stiletto heels.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Postby beachlion » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 am

Like I said yesterday, I went to the beach and bought my usual drinks at the gas station. I had with me ballet flats and wore them into the shop. I tried to take pictures but could not point the action cam in the right direction. So you have to take my word for that. ;)
I had the impression a few people were looking at my outfit but I don't study that behavior anymore. I filled two drinks at the fountain, pressed the lids on and rammed straws through the top. You have to be very careful to close the lid properly or the liquid might fill the cupholders and overflow. Don't ask how I know that. The automated register was without its auto pilot so a woman had to operate the touch screen. When she saw my skirt and shoes she just smiled and said to have a nice day. It had been a very warm day at the beach so the two 32 ounce buckets (almost a liter each) were gone in record time.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Return to Sewing