An interesting take on things...

For those do-it-yourselfers...
crfriend
Master Barista

An interesting take on things...

Post by crfriend »

A while ago, somebody posted a link to this page: https://www.marlenemukai.com.br/saia-com-pala-e-pregas-macho-femea/, or perhaps only the image. It's got an interesting looking pattern for a short pleated skirt but is in Portuguese. The interesting thing is that a google translation of it comes out as "Skirt modeling scheme with flap and male and female pleats from 36 to 56" (where, in the botched machine translation, mistakes "Skirt modeling scheme" for "skirt pattern").

I'm wondering if this was a deliberate attempt at a unisex skirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: An interesting take on things...

Post by r.m.anderson »

Both skirts have lace trim at the hem - only basic difference is one is solid black color and the other a tartan plaid.
Skip the lace trim and both could be worn by either sex - although the smaller waist - wide hips is to be expected
to accentuate the female body form with sufficient flare the male wearer would fare just as well - "A" line skater
skirt with pleats - AND - I have not heard of the term Male and Female Pleats - not in as much as reference to
gender specifics - yes there are men's pleated pants and women's pleated skirts - maybe it is because the website
was in Portuguese and something is lost in the translation.
There are pleats but these are not gender specific:

Knife Box Double Box Inverted Reverse

I have a few mini-kilts from SportKilt but typically no pleated structure in the front of the (skirt) kilt - but I do find
the skirts at that website to be very appealing and attractive - the lace trim exempted.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:I have a few mini-kilts from SportKilt but typically no pleated structure in the front of the (skirt) kilt - but I do find
the skirts at that website to be very appealing and attractive - the lace trim exempted.
I don't have any sort of hang-ups regarding lace -- and I have quite a few things with lace trim. It's just a nice embellishment -- and one with historical precedent for men.

There are more than a few graven images of yours truly wearing stuff with lace on it, including a quite cute pleated mini-kilt that had lace trim on it (sadly lost).
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Whoops I forgot about 3 mini-kilts in the back of the closet until summer harkens it warmer breath.
I have 3 SportKilt with lace inserts in the pleats custom 15 inch hem and solid black waist band:
Ninja solid black
Anderson Tartan
MacPherson Red Tartan
My photos and a copy SportKilt stock photo showing rear view:
17 BLK NINJA LACE 16 (200x150).jpg
15 ANDERSON LACE 16 (200x150).jpg
16 MC P RED LACE 16 (200x150).jpg
Lace Kilt (200x171).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Perhaps the male and female pleats is also an aberration in translation, meaning internal and external pleats (box pleated) as in male & female plumbing fittings. A disappointing perspective, I know.
I too have nothing against lace; recently bought a teal shirt with lace on it for next summer. I didn't go looking for lace but it was such a light weight material that is not seen in male apparel.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:Perhaps the male and female pleats is also an aberration in translation, meaning internal and external pleats (box pleated) as in male & female plumbing fittings. A disappointing perspective, I know.
That's what I'm currently thinking as well, but it is a cute skirt nonetheless, and I may contemplate making one.
I too have nothing against lace; recently bought a teal shirt with lace on it for next summer. I didn't go looking for lace but it was such a light weight material that is not seen in male apparel.
I actually have a bit of an affinity for it, mainly because it's so rarely used in men's styles.