Winter skirt

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Winter skirt

Post by beachlion »

With the temperatures still around freezing, I made another skirt that ended about 4" (10 cm) below the knee. I still had some heavy denim and more or less copied the black twill skirt of New York fame. ;)
With the heavy fabric, the sewing machine had a real workout. I put some traditional yellow/gold thread at the hem and I'm still debating if I will do the vertical seams as well.
P1010060q.jpg
I also tried it with black tights to see the effect.
P1010064q.jpg
Those black tights are still a big step for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter skirt

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well done, I have been thinking about looking for a seamstress to copy my old Midas cargo skirts since I really like them and Midas no longer exist, how hard is it to grab one of those electric needle things and turn cloth into skirt?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Big and Bashful wrote:Well done, I have been thinking about looking for a seamstress to copy my old Midas cargo skirts since I really like them and Midas no longer exist, how hard is it to grab one of those electric needle things and turn cloth into skirt?
If you have a reasonable hand-eye coordination, it is not that difficult. There are so many tutorials out there on YouTube, it is almost impossible to go wrong. ;)

Start with a simple project with plain fabric like denim or twill. Or use an old bedsheet or curtain. A straight skirt with an elastic waistband is a good starter. Depending on the length, you have to measure your stride at that level and use that as the size of the skirt (diameter). Make a tunnel for the elastic band (non-roll version is preferred) at the waist, hem it and you are good to go.

The YouTube tutorials with guide you to a higher level. And there is also some sewers on this forum.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hmmm, must keep my eyes out on EBay for one of those new fangled sewing machine things, then some fred and some cloff to abuse. I have a wardrobe full of patterns to try out, otherwise known as skirts...
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
hillaryskirt

Re: Winter skirty

Post by hillaryskirt »

Definitely a nice skirt well done!
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I had to get used to the length at first but the warmth it gave was a real bonus. But my wife found this length terrible so I will restrict the use of it from now on. Her complaint was that it hid too much of my legs. ;)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In this case I agree with her. You look much better in shorter. I wouldn't wear that length.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Beachlion, just want to repeat what a fab denim skirt that is. Such sewing skills. Supadupa
Hope you're still wearing it regularly :wink:
Oh luv the tights and heels too.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

hillaryskirt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:50 am Beachlion, just want to repeat what a fab denim skirt that is. Such sewing skills. Supadupa
Hope you're still wearing it regularly :wink:
Oh luv the tights and heels too.
Thanks.
I have it on this very moment. I alternate between this one and a similar black version. I went shopping last night with the denim skirt and tights, no heels just loafers.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

beachlion wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 am I alternate between this one and a similar black version. I went shopping last night with the denim skirt and tights, no heels just loafers.
Wonderful. The black sounds nice. Four inches below the knee is my favourite - I hope yr wife has come round to it! :o
PS Like the idea of tights too - what denier do you use? The girls get quite excited as the weather gets colder about wearing tights again and I guess we men do too. Certainly as it is part of the culture of skirt-wearing. So exciting! :oops: :) :D