A dress from the sweatshop

For those do-it-yourselfers...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: A dress from the sweatshop

Post by crfriend »

I, too, am impressed with the speed of progress on the matter and the products thereof.

Skirts are amongst the easiest of projects to sew, and are frequently used as "starters". Dresses, on the other hand, are the devil's own work if you want them to fit right and to look good. It's 3-D at its worst when you need to convert it to 2-D fabric.

One joy of home-sewing, though, is that once mastered the skill lasts a lifetime and can produce some truly stunning works. I'm still in awe of some of the things I saw my late ex- execute on her sewing-machine, and a couple of the pieces were for me. (The most exquisite stuff was what she did for a few formal events that we attended which were truly spectacular!)

I really ought to buy a simple sewing-machine and learn how to properly use it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Your projects give me hope. A new series of "The Great British Sewing Bee" has started and is educational through listening to the remarks of the judges and the tips they pass on about the characteristics of different materials and the different stitches and techniques. I'm an avid watcher and the courage to start sewing is slowly seeping in and my first project will be a simple elasticated waist skater skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Dennis, get yourself a simple sewing machine, even second hand will do for a begin and some fabric and other materials and start. After I first bought a UTkilt, I made the next one myself because $65 was quite a lot for the amount of fabric. I found a "recipe" on the Internet.

https://web.stanford.edu/~ahebert/X_Kilt_adobe.pdf
PA080056qqq.jpg
The PDF required serious reading but in the end I had a home made kilt. And the rest is history. There are more sewers on this forum so if you need advise, just ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

bl, MOH has more than one and I'm going to try and wheedle one away from her and learn how to use it. But we're just a little too busy at the moment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I found out that some patterns come with detailed instructions to assemble the piece of clothing. So I bought a pattern for a male summer shirt. By adding 22 cm (8.5") to the length I could make a dress of it. I could download the pattern as a PDF-file and after printing, I taped the pieces together.
With the detailed instructions I had the impression I was sewing more according to the book and not according to my own engineer's style. In the end it looked more like a dress you could buy in department stores.
Because of some new technics, I made of course some mistakes like putting the sleeves inside out to the body. The fabric had an almost identical good and bad side. But in the end I had my super long male shirt aka summer dress.
P1010076q.jpg
This is according to the pattern. I will add shoulder straps and belt loops. With a belt-like thing it looks more like a seperate shirt and skirt. I'm still not confident enough to wear a dress out in the open. I have to give it time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Excellent, the colour and styling is nice. I do agree that it would look better with a belt to break up the straight up and down effect.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Sinned wrote:Excellent, the colour and styling is nice. I do agree that it would look better with a belt to break up the straight up and down effect.
Thanks. I will try to make a few darts in the waist. With a belt you get a somewhat crumpled effect at waist level.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Back to the drawing board (or sewing machine) and modify. I took some fabric from the waistline at the side seams and put in 6 darts. It looks already better.
P1010083q.jpg
A few more additions and the dress is ready for the road.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's quite a bit better BL! The added definition definitely adds to the look of the garment. Add a same-fabric belt/sash and the epaulettes and you'll have a treasure.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with Carl and that is a really good shirt dress. As to the gathering effect of the belt on a straight line, the effect is not all bad and can look quite appealing. Just sayin'.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I added some details. I made a 2" wide belt with 5 belt loops. I could not find a 2" belt buckle or even D-rings. So I made two D-rings from a 1/8" round bar of brass. They are quite coarse but functional.
P1010098q.jpg
With just a little tension on the belt the dress feels quite snug in a nice way.
P1010099q.jpg
Now I need nice weather and the balls to wear it. ;)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Very nice and it looks eminently wearable. I empathise with your feelings. A skirt, no problem, but getting my head around wearing a dress out is just one step too far for me at the moment.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Very nice dress you got there BL. Just wear it outside, I would.

Ok, that's not fair because you do know i'm a woman :lol:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)