A find from the attic

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

A find from the attic

Post by beachlion »

Some days ago, I had to be in the attic to check if I could mount a light fixture through the ceiling and find a source for the electricity. The attic is nothing more than the ceiling beams of the second floor with here and there some floor boards and scraps of multiply. You need to be careful or your leg will stick out of the ceiling. I had to move some plastic bags and because of old age, one of the bags ripped at the bottom. The contents fell on the floor and it appeared to be two sets of curtains, both of them with a flowery design.

Being a hobby woodworker, when I see a piece of wood, being a fallen tree or a left over piece, I always see potential for my workshop. Now with fabric, I have developed the same instinct. I ripped all the seams of one set of curtains, washed it and put it through the dryer.
P1010016q.jpg
The lighter design fabric seemed right for a ankle length skirt. After washing, the fabric was very flowy but also more difficult to sew. I used the pattern of my recent calf length denim skirt and made it about 39" (100 cm) long with a hem of around 60" (150 cm). I made an invisible zipper in the front and a button. For an experiment it came out good enough. I like the flowy material around my legs when walking. However I don't think I will wear it outside the house or even in the house. It is not manly enough to my taste.
P1010028qq.jpg
P1010029q.jpg
There is enough left over of the fabric to make some summer skirts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A find from the attic

Post by weeladdie18 »

My reflex with your prize find would be to make an under skirt for one of my light weight summer skirts or experiment with different cuts or styles
of tunics or wrap over skirts.......It is all style of garments which fits the wearer..........great stuff...well done

I need some long curtains .....perhaps I could make them into Patch Work Curtains made out of my excess skirt collection..........L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A find from the attic

Post by weeladdie18 »

Some of my skirts are too small so I could take out the liners and lower the waist band and put in an elasticated waist.....free skirt liners..........

there must a good use for the material in my redundant skirts.....Anyone tried hexagonal American Patchwork ?

One thought ... A Harris Tweed Fishermans Smock.....