Simple Skirt Rig

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Simple Skirt Rig

Post by Sinned »

My wife came across some black material and she said that she would put it to one side to make a skirt for me. WTF? Her attitude to my skirts is ambivalent at the best of times. She's tolerant of me wearing them around the house yet complains of "always wearing skirts" even though I don't. She doesn't like me wearing them outside yet she knows that I do when she's not around and I have a reason to go out. I'd love to learn to sew and make some skirts and dresses, shift, shirt, T-shirt, and so on.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Women, how do they think? One of the greatest mysteries of science. :bom:

John
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

It will be interesting to discover what kind of skirt she thinks is suitable for you, will it not? And of course it will set a firm precedent :-)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Grok wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:49 am 2. Make a sort of shirt dress, sewing a circle skirt to the bottom of a man's shirt.
I'm not a big fan of circle skirts, they use a ridiculous amount of material and I don't like the effect. I usually go for half or quarter-circle which require a lots less material and less wavy.

My favourites skirts however have a straight front/back, I think in kilts you'd call it the "apron"? These are essentially two trapezoidal shapes sewn together at the sides. For reference, think 100cm at the waist, 220cm at the hem with 50cm length.

I've thought of a variant with the straight trapezoid at the front and quarter circle at the back, so you get a flat front and wavy back. That would be closer to the classic kilt form.

The other thing to pay attention is where you put the waist. I find the most aesthetically pleasing when the top and bottom are about the same length, so it divides your body into thirds. This is higher than the typical waist for men's clothing though. If you want a longer top I think you need to make the skirt half the length of the top so it divides you body into quarters.

The best thing to is just get the materials and then start putting them together with pins and loose hand-stitching. That way you can try it on and see how it looks before you spend lots of time sewing and cutting.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have no idea and maybe she doesn't either. I did mention that I have a pattern for a skirt, I'll dig it out. IIR it looked complicated. I go for A-line or circle skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: skirt and Sinned's wife

Post by Grok »

I don't know her, so I can't say for sure, but.....

Could she be thinking that a skirt taylor made for a man would be considered a man's garment? And, if so, could that make your skirt wearing acceptable?

or....

If you are going to wear a skirt, this will allow her some influence over it?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Grok, there may be some more evidence of my wearing INDOORS, but I doubt if there will be any extension of her acceptance of my wearing OUTDOORS even if she has made the skirt. I just don't know and am afraid to ask as I may get an answer I'm not expecting.