Artificial leather

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Artificial leather

Post by beachlion »

I join the club of fake with a new product from my sewing machine. With all that fake news, a fake leather skirt will fit in perfectly.
P1010470q.jpg
It is quite difficult to work with. It feels a little rubbery and it is impossible to press seams with an iron. Pinholes will be visible for some time but with use, they disappear. I made an other faux leather skirt some time ago and I discovered I did not have to make a hem. Without a hem it will not ravel but is has a nice flow when walking. This one has a hem and is not that flowy. Maybe I will cut of the hem. It will be shorter then but much more flowy.
The material has a cool and a slightly sensual feel. :wink: :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Artificial leather

Post by denimini »

Looks good and all the better that it feels good.
At least you aren't afraid of using the words artificial or fake, I usually see the terms faux leather, PU leather and vegan leather. Maybe just call it polyurethane or whatever it is.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Some faux leather fabrics can be hemmed like real leather with rubber cement (glue).
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

r.m.anderson wrote:Some faux leather fabrics can be hemmed like real leather with rubber cement (glue).
When you fold over the fabric to make a hem, you are stiffening the edge of the skirt. Either sewing or glueing has the same effect. I will try the skirt as is and if I'm not satisfied, I will cut off the hem. I like the flow when walking.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

denimini wrote:....... At least you aren't afraid of using the words artificial or fake, .........
When it comes to fake, I have a name to keep up. With my European background, a lot of foods are fake in my eyes and I have no problems to let others know. Cheese is my main concern. I'm a cheese lover and the crap here is a real disgrace. And I can go on and on ....... A lot of stuff from the US supermarkets would not even be allowed in Europe.

But I like the feel of the fake leather. At least no animal had to be slaughtered for that piece of plastic. :wink:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote: When it comes to fake, I have a name to keep up. With my European background, a lot of foods are fake in my eyes and I have no problems to let others know. Cheese is my main concern. I'm a cheese lover and the crap here is a real disgrace. And I can go on and on ....... A lot of stuff from the US supermarkets would not even be allowed in Europe.

But I like the feel of the fake leather. At least no animal had to be slaughtered for that piece of plastic. :wink:
Yes, keep them alive to give milk for good cheese, which I also enjoy when I can get it.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote:
beachlion wrote: But I like the feel of the fake leather. At least no animal had to be slaughtered for that piece of plastic.
Yes, keep them alive to give milk for good cheese, which I also enjoy when I can get it.
You may be joking, but for those unfamiliar with the dairy industry, milk cows are not made into leather while they are still productive dairy animals.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Jim wrote:......You may be joking, but for those unfamiliar with the dairy industry, milk cows are not made into leather while they are still productive dairy animals.
I grew up in a big city (#3 in size in the Netherlands) but I know enough about agricultural stuff to realize that a skinned cow is not able to give milk. :wink:
I like artificial leather for clothing a lot. The feel and flow is quite realistic. For shoes I like it less because there is not much "give" for the material to form to your feet and your way of walking.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I was not quite satisfied with the fake leather skirt. With at another place a discussion about short skirts and age, I decided to sacrify the skirt for science purposes. How will it look and how will it feel if you shortening skirts. The fabric does not need stitches for hemming, it will not ravel. I started with 35 cm (13.8" ). Then I put marks at the inside with a length of 32 cm (12.5" ), 30 cm (11.8" ) and 28 cm (11" ). I took pictures from the same viewpoint so with the pictures next to each other, the effect will be clear.
Leather skirt 3X.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Very interesting. One doesn't often (if ever) see different lengths of the same skirt on the same person, to make an objective comparison.
Thanks.