Need help with shorts conversion

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Regular Guy

Need help with shorts conversion

Post by Regular Guy »

Hi. Need to find someone willing to take a couple pair of my shorts and change them into a skirt. While I have viewed several youtubes and 'how to' videos, I have botched up the ones I have tried.

If anyone here can be of assistance, please let me know. I am willing to pay a fair price for your efforts and only request a reasonable amount of time to complete

Thanks,
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Need help with shorts conversion

Post by RichardA »

Why not just buy a skirt ?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

If you are located anywhere near me, I don't mind having a go at helping you.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

RichardA wrote:Why not just buy a skirt ?
I was going to comment along those lines as most denim skirts already have menswear-styled waist-fastenings and zipper orientation.

But, if the original poster is actually out to gain experience with a sewing-machine then instruction or assistance will likely be necessary.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Two comments:

One - simply go buy a (denim) skirt
and the Other - get the experience of making one or the alteration of the shorts

Actually both have merit - buy the denim skirt in any size to destruct it to find out how it is put together then resize the pattern to fit you.
By doing this one will find how much material in the shorts is needed for the alteration adding or deleting portions and perhaps taking the
guess work out of the crotch conversion from irregular shaped pieces and parts !

More error by trial or was it trial by error !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't included his location. He obviously needs some help, as he comments that his attempts have not worked out.
So, where are you RG?
PS I'm in the West of England UK, and I'm guessing that you are on the other side of the pond. I can't claim any particular success either!!
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

RichardA wrote:Why not just buy a skirt ?
Now thats a good question! And I will try and answer other posts that have appeared.

I have about a dozen skirts that I keep in a rotation and about 8 kilts that I wear at some time during the year . I am just looking for someone to transforn a few pair of shorts that I hold a fondness for. Face it, mens shorts have generous pockets,
Masculin patterns ( which I like), and actually FIT me better than most skirts. Over the last several years I have probably purchased 50 skirts, mostly from Ebay. Out of that lot? I have the dozen or so that come close to fitting properly.

I am NOT looking to start another hobby (sewing), but many of the skirts I buy still don't fit the way I would like them to. Hence, my idea to change a few pair of shorts to skirts.

My size borders a 0 to 2 in skirts. Occasionally I can get away with a 4. My biggest, problem is suffering fom "Noassatall."
Skirts have this bubble on the back to accomodate womens bums. All well and good, and as it should be. I just dont have an ass to fill that part out.

So, to reiterate, i just need someone to transform a few pair of shorts into skirts

Thanks for the replies and help.
RG
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Oh. Almost forgot.....

Southeast US. Where it Does get warm in the summer !! And certainly makes skirt wearing very welcome for comfort.

RG
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Before I was confident in buying skirts, I converted some beige denim work pants into a basic frayed hem work mini. With pants, one has the extra material to cut from the leg to fill in the triangles where the inseam in unpicked. I am not sure how I would tackle shorts. Some of the brand name denim skirts have a "J" seam front and/or back which seems (seams?) un-necessary and makes me think they used up some shorts patterns to make skirts.
Asphalt-Blue-Combat-Camouflage-Denim-Micro-Mini-Skirt.jpg
I can understand converting pants and shorts to skirts, all the difficult parts are ready made; zipper fastening, pockets, belts loops, etc. and it is turning a useless object into something of fun, comfort and joy .... sort of like I get extra enjoyment eating lamb by knowing it is no longer grazing down the native grasses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

I'm with the "find a seamstress" crowd.

Here in the northeast US, there seems to be about 2-3 people in every town around here who have gone through the trouble of actually hanging a sign on their front lawn advertising "pants hemming" or "Custom Alterations" (etc.). A second place to look are the semi-pro costumers selling garb at your local SF convention or renaissance fair.

Both groups should be sufficiently competent to do the conversion and make it fit.

And besides, it makes the iron, pin(or baste), test-fit, sew, recheck fit process go much quicker.