Denier isn't just a river in...

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Denier isn't just a river in...

Post by Ralph »

It occurred to me while I was shopping around for a slip in my size and long enough for my torso/legs that it would probably be cheaper to just buy some tricot and make my own. How hard could a couple of rectangles with straps to go over the shoulder be?

Now I'm lost in a world of fabric choices. All I know for sure is that I want nylon tricot, but some of the stores have 15 denier, some 40, some 70... what is the weight typically used in intimate apparel?
Ralph!
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Denier isn't just a river in...

Post by trainspotter48 »

Ralph,

While I'm no expert in these matters, it's probably worth remembering that ladies hosiery is around 15 denier for a 'transparent' look. My guess is that 40d will be semi-transparent and 70d will be approaching opaque. Obviously the chosen colour will have an effect as well.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The "sheerness" of a fabric depends both on the openness of the weave or knit and also on the thickness of the fibres from which the fabric is constructed.

The usual place as an excellent definition of the term -- and it's expressed in units of mass per linear measure.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Dunno if this helps but for me the point of an underdress is winter layering. I've found basic cheap lining materials (acetate, I believe) quite useful and very available in all kinds of weights and colours.
Daryl...
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Daryl wrote:Dunno if this helps but for me the point of an underdress is winter layering. I've found basic cheap lining materials (acetate, I believe) quite useful and very available in all kinds of weights and colours.
Hello Daryl - I just picked up this interesting discussion on denier having serendipitously replied to a rather old post (also in 'Sewing') called: Nylon hiking skirt.
In that, I was making the point about different deniers which I thought was a grading system applying only to tights.
But it seems to nylon generally and maybe other materials.

Anyway your thoughts on underdresses are welcome also here.
It reminds me of a garment I own which I call my 'tomboy slip'. It is a full slip devoid of the usual feminine lace and the only, indeed, 'fem' detail is a very well hidden 'rosebud' decoration but hey - men like flowers too!
It is also pleasantly swishy to wear, gives a dress a nice line from the outside to look at and falls within the strictures and guidance for this forum I believe (ie skirt and dress wearing for men). :)
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.