A skirt in black denim

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

A skirt in black denim

Post by beachlion »

At the moment, I'm wearing a black kilt (Utkilt) when going out and the weather is reasonable. My wife is OK with it when I'm on my own and a little reserved when we go together. But I think it will getting better over time.
My next step will be out in a skirt but I have to wait untill the weather gets better and my wife is used to it. In and around the house I can wear a skirt but in my daily surroundings I'm slightly hesitant. But when they get used to my kilt, a skirt in almost the same shape will be no problem at all.

So I ordered fabric, black denim at 10oz/sqft, and started sewing.
Length is a little over 21" (54 cm), seam 63" (160 cm) and designed with the Skirtpanel calculator. Pattern made with SketchUp. I made it from 6 panels, zipper at the side and 2 slits of 4" (10 cm) at both sides.
P1010659q.jpg
P1010661q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A skirt in black denim

Post by melsav »

Looks very nice and well made. Very well done :D
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Like Melsav said.

Great job!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Looks great!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Thanks for the compliments. Being black, there is not much detail to show.

I wore it this morning and after 10 minutes my wife noticed it. I was wearing a black kilt for some time so it looks quite the same. She is still not enthousiastic about it. Also her best friend who used to be doing breakfast with us Sunday mornings did not comment on it untill my wive made the remark about her discovery. So the friend was also not enthousiastic. But I was not tarred and feathered so at least it is tolerated. They like me in kilts so it is a mental issue. By alternating between kilts and skirts, I hope to blurr them into one type of clothing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...But I was not tarred and feathered so at least it is tolerated...
Such is progress.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Well done! Is the zipper integrated into a seam? As you said, it's hard to make out the detail due to the dark fabric.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

De zipper is in the right hand side seam. This is the easiest way.
P1010660qq.jpg
With the zipper pull up it is less visible.

When the zipper is in the front, I use sometimes a lapped zipper. That is almost like a normal fly closure. It is more hassle and the seams need some attention to keep them flat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Very nice. I've just started doing centered, in-seam zippers myself. Much less work than other types, especially a full fly. :)

Do you find it at all awkward to reach to the side with both hands to operate the zipper and button? To me it seems like if the zipper is placed exactly at the side, it is ok. But if it is even a little farther toward the back, it becomes difficult to reach.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

finrod wrote:Very nice. I've just started doing centered, in-seam zippers myself. Much less work than other types, especially a full fly. :)

Do you find it at all awkward to reach to the side with both hands to operate the zipper and button? To me it seems like if the zipper is placed exactly at the side, it is ok. But if it is even a little farther toward the back, it becomes difficult to reach.
Just put the skirt on with the zipper in front and then rotate it.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

finrod wrote:Very nice. I've just started doing centered, in-seam zippers myself. Much less work than other types, especially a full fly. :)

I prefer to have a zipper in front. With a side zipper it depends on the shirt I wear and my weight if I turn the skirt after zipping up. If the shirt is smooth and/or my belly is under control it is easy to turn. Otherwise, I zip up at the side but there it is more difficult to handle, to prevent the shirt getting between the zipper. I wanted to make a 6-panel skirt with 4" slits at the sides so I had to go for a side zipper.