Plain DIY A-line skirt for beginners

For those do-it-yourselfers...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Plain DIY A-line skirt for beginners

Post by pelmut »

http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/dressmaki ... tIntro.php

This is intended to be suitable for beginners in two senses:

In the first sense, I have described in detail (possibly too much detail) every step of the process, so that beginners to sewing aren't left wondering what inexplicable technical terms mean. I haven't described how to use a sewing machine, as there are so many variations in machines and there are already tutorials on the web, but I have taken the trouble to talk the beginner through some of the more tricky bits and have tried to make the instructions self-checking where errors might occur.

In the second sense, it is suitable for men who are beginners at skirt-wearing in public. If you make the plain denim version with a centre zip and scalloped pockets, you will be spared most of the interactions you fear when wearing a skirt for the first time, because hardly anyone will notice it. It is also a very 'forgiving' skirt to wear, you don't have to worry about tripping up stairs or getting it tangled around your legs when walking. By making it yourself, this also means you don't have to go into women's territory to buy a ready-made skirt.

I have only shown instructions for one size, but to anyone with a some knowledge of basic geometry it should be obvious how to scale it up or down a few inches. Variations in length and pocket size are easy to work out for anyone who prefers a slightly different design.

I hope the website doesn't have too many errors, but I would be grateful if anyone finds a few if they would let me know through a Private Message on this board.
Last edited by pelmut on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Plain DIY A-line skirt for beginners

Post by skirtyscot »

Two observations.

That is a pretty noticeable shape of skirt, because it is flared. Straight skirts may well be mistaken for shorts, but not this one.

If those are simple instructions, then I will stick to buying ready-made. Walking into the women's department is far easier, for me.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

skirtyscot wrote:Two observations.

That is a pretty noticeable shape of skirt, because it is flared. Straight skirts may well be mistaken for shorts, but not this one...
The side-zip design is made from a fairly stiff type of denim which doesn't 'fall' nicely at all while it is new and unwashed. I wouldn't buy any more like that and I am hoping it will soften up after I have worn it for a while. [Pushing aside the thought of desperately chucking it into a cement mixer with a few large pebbles].
The front-zip design is much softer and falls very nicely, I don't know why it looked so flared in the photograph, but the proof of its 'ignorability' has been wearing it for a whole week at Sidmouth and getting very few comments from the hundreds of people I met. Several people suddenly said "Oh, you're wearing a skirt, I've only just noticed" after being in conversation with me for several minutes.
skirtyscot wrote: ..If those are simple instructions, then I will stick to buying ready-made. Walking into the women's department is far easier, for me.
I was afraid that level of detail might give the initial impression that it was a long and complex task, but it really isn't that difficult. You wouldn't need to do more than briefly glance at many of the pictures once you had got the hang of it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

skirtyscot wrote:That is a pretty noticeable shape of skirt, because it is flared. Straight skirts may well be mistaken for shorts, but not this one.
I've taken note of your comments and added a calculator to the website so that you can alter the amount of flare by altering the length of the hem. A certain amount of flare is essential for an A-line skirt, otherwise it will be tight around the hips. You could, of course, flare the top section and then reduce the amount of flare further down, but it wouldn't be the true A-line shape any more.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Why, that is most considerate of you! However, as far as I am concerned, flared is fine. I have a few skirts that are as wide as that one. Still, a useful feature for your page.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

What perfect timing for you to post this. I had in mind a small project to make a tiered prairie skirt, but that may be too ambitious a project; this will be a much better starting effort. I can always add tiers to it later if I wish. Thanks for posting it!
Ralph!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Hope it works O.K. It is one thing to make it myself and try to document every step, but is quite another to try following those steps Please let me know how you get on and of any improvements/errors you can spot in the instructions