Canvas/denim unpleated skirt with big pockets

For those do-it-yourselfers...
finrod
Distinguished Member

Canvas/denim unpleated skirt with big pockets

Post by finrod »

For a while now I've been working on sewing a skirt of a certain style that appeals to me and I haven't been able to find in online shops. I've gotten it to the point where I'm pretty happy with it, so I wanted to share the results. My wife took some photos of me in the latest version last weekend:
bridge1.png
bridge2.png
bridge3.png
I've been using heavier fabrics like canvas or denim, since I love the weighty feel and texture of jeans. There are large side-seam pockets, plus more large, angled patch pockets lower down on the sides. Probably won't need to use them much, but they're for looks as much as anything. No pockets in the back since I haven't been able to find a way to make back pockets fit in with this style well, and anyway I don't like sitting on the things in my pockets. There are three panels in back, with a yoke to bring in the fabric at the top and avoid the skirt sticking out to much in back. The front has two asymmetric panels, with a zipper fly on the seam between them. I happened on that idea accidentally when I was thinking of how to do a fly on a three-panel front. I realized there are some, ahem, safety benefits to having a zipper fly a bit off center. And I just like the asymmetric look.

To be completely honest -- I'd like to turn this into a product for sale, even though I know that is quite a long shot for a host of reasons.

I know this style isn't for everyone, but any positive/negative feedback would be much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Canvas/denim unpleated skirt with big pockets

Post by crfriend »

That's an interesting design, especially given the shot from front-dead-center with the off-center zip. I found it a bit jarring at first, but the feeling subsided once I looked at the rest of the garment. You might have a winner with that one, especially as with skirts the front zip is nowhere near as important as it is in trousers (for all the obvious reasons).

Well done, that looks like a nice piece of craftsmanship.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Finrod,

That's exactly the style I like and my jeans skirt looks like it but lacks the side pockets. The location of the zipper however is a bit confusing just as if I had a tad too much to drink...
Your style is how it should be: manly and inconspicuous.
Keep up the good work!

Jan.
Last edited by janrok on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

That's a really smart design and it looks just right on you. The extra pockets give it an air of practicality, even if you don't actually use them.

You don't really need a fly on a skirt, so you could move the zip right off to the side seam just behind the back edge of one of the pockets. I did that with one of my designs, it was a bit tricky, being so close to the pocket edge, but it worked out all right.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:thumleft:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's really good. Well done!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Thanks for the feedback, all! :D

Good points about a fly not really being necessary. I kind of like the look and familiarity of it myself, but I can also see the value in throwing out vestiges of trousers and letting a skirt be a skirt.

I enjoy trying to find these balances -- being unique while being (at least somewhat) inconspicuous, being masculine but not hyper-masculine, being original while retaining some comfort of familiarity.

pelmut, did you put the zipper right in the side seam, then? It does sound tricky. Do you have any pictures?
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Finrod,
Fact remains that a fly in a skirt gives it a somewhat masculine look.
That's why jeans skirts are often well suited for men replacing shorts.
On the other hand however a fly in a skirt is completely superfluous both for women and men.
Jan.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

janrok wrote:On the other hand however a fly in a skirt is completely superfluous both for women and men.
Actually, the fly does serve a purpose -- it's there to allow the waistband to open up enough to get over the hips. This is important for skirts built from unyielding fabrics and without elastic (or drawstring) waistbands.

But, yes, pointless for visits to the necessary.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Very nice, like the line of the skirt generally, no too flared which I find jarring on a man. I am looking at one that is very similar, slightly shorter, and the fabric is a poly nylon blend with a bit of water repellancy. very light and supple. The pockets are higher, and smaller, but somewhat useful. I'm not a fan of heavy denim in pants, though I find it very different when wearing a skirt. I find a fly useful for giving a little structure to the front of a skirt, it stiffens the fabric and tends to disguise any "bumps"
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

finrod wrote: pelmut, did you put the zipper right in the side seam, then? It does sound tricky. Do you have any pictures?
I have taken some which I hope will show how it was done.

The first picture shows the skirt side view. The side seam is supposed to be straight, but I have put on a bit of weight since I made it. Being an ordinary straight zip, instead of a proper 'fly' zip, makes it much easier to put in. Sorry about the creases, but I have just taken it out of winter storage (bundled in a bag).
DenimLSide_2882.JPG
To show up the pocket for photography, I have stuffed it with a handkerchief. You can see that the zip is in the side seam and the flap which covers it also forms the back edge of the pocket. The pocket opening isn't quite as big as I would have liked, but the pocket itself is of ample size.
DenimLtOuter_2876.JPG
From the inside, you can see that the weight of the pocket is hung from the waistband, but a horizontal line of stitching closes off the top area of the pocket, where items might unsuspectingly become lost if the skirt were taken off and turned upside down. (The beige card is just there to make the outline of the pocket clearer in the photograph.)
DenimLInner_2886.JPG
Hope this is what you wanted to know, please ask if you need more information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Thanks very much for posting those. And well done! Getting into sewing has given me a lot more appreciation for the careful design required to make things come together nicely like this.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

This is another skirt that I made from the same material. It is shorter with much less flare and has three panels, but the opposite way around from yours: the back is made from a single panel (with darts to give it some shape) but the front is two panels with a straight zip at the centre. The large deep pockets come forwards from the side seams and have curved front edges. This is one of my favourites and I wear it a lot in Summer.

The flap over the zip does not quite lie correctly, I think the free edge ought to be under more tension than the inner edge. Because I was short of material, I made bits of the pockets from a different material in the places where it wouldn't show; that was a mistake because both pockets have now started to go through in holes and it will be a fiddly job to replace them.
DenimShort_2894.JPG
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

finrod wrote: pelmut, did you put the zipper right in the side seam, then? It does sound tricky. Do you have any pictures?
I have posted detailed instructions for a side-zipper skirt at:

http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/dressmaki ... utting.php

Hope you are able to try it out.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

pelmut wrote:I have posted detailed instructions for a side-zipper skirt at:

http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/dressmaki ... utting.php

Hope you are able to try it out.
Very nice work! Having read and attempted to follow number of sewing tutorials, I have to say this one is exceptionally detailed and well-illustrated. I'm not sure when I'll try out the side zipper as I'm pretty happy with having it in the front for my current project, but I like it as an idea for skirts in general.