Convertable skirts

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Convertable skirts

Post by Jim »

I work on a berry farm in a fairly conservative area. I think it might hurt our image if I served customers wearing a skirt. So, on several of my somewhat above the knee skirts, I have sewn a button near the hem between the legs, and added a button hole on the opposite side. When I button it, it looks like the shorts I usually wear in summer. When I'm not with customers, just co-workers, I unbutton, and feel much freer.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Convertable skirts

Post by rick401r »

I've done the same, only I used velcro.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A "stealth skirt."
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Don't some of the utilikilt type skirts do similar with snaps? I have one skirt which has a press stud, it doesn't stay fastened though, I think it might be my Elcommando hiking kilt type thing.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Big and Bashful wrote:Don't some of the utilikilt type skirts do similar with snaps? I have one skirt which has a press stud, it doesn't stay fastened though, I think it might be my Elcommando hiking kilt type thing.
My Utilikilt has a toggle and loop system that can just connect the two aprons together or connect the aprons and the back. This will prevent unintended "Marilyn moments" but will certainly not make the UK look like shorts.

Don't know about the Elkomando but the original Mountain Kilt comes with a snap to link front to back. I've never felt the need to use it however in curiosity trials it seems to work fairly well. (Far better than my Jdez "cargo Mock kilt/short").

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If you scroll down in the Sewing section you will find a similar thread-apparently there is some interest in Stealth Skirts. There may be a substantial number out there who might be willing to try Stealth Skirts, even if they aren't willing to wear unambiguous skirts in public.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

There's almost no difference between skorts and those oversized floppy shorts that people wear these days.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

The Macabi skirts are the ultimate convertable skirts.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Jacj,
I sort of agree about the Macabi, they never look like shorts though, more a badly wrapped nappy! I find that if you start snapping and using the strappy bit there are then loops of hem which catch on things more often, I rarely use the m because I feel it would be too easy to damage the skirt when it is pinned up like that, also I am not a fan of the nappy look. Like them as a skirt though and for a couple of operations on the yacht I do use the clever bits to keep them out of the way. I would still like a knee length version.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Caultron wrote:There's almost no difference between skorts and those oversized floppy shorts that people wear these days.
Like this with inverted pleats back and front
http://www.cricket-hockey.com/shop/product.php/8998/0
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

RichardA wrote:
Caultron wrote:There's almost no difference between skorts and those oversized floppy shorts that people wear these days.
Like this with inverted pleats back and front
http://www.cricket-hockey.com/shop/product.php/8998/0
Yes, like that. This is almost a "crossover" or "middle ground" design, bifurcated but not noticeable.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Except that it is a skort!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Perhaps change will be largely invisible, if stealth skirts become a trend.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Skorts are a fashion crime!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Jack Williams wrote:Skorts are a fashion crime!
The funny thing is, of the last 4 skirts I picked off the rack at the thrift store, 3 of them turned out to be "skorts" when I got them home. That is, they had an integral pair of shorts as part of the construction. I cut them out, and was happy with the results. On one, I was careless, and ended up cutting of a belt loop / feature, and had to sew them back, on another, the inner short was of a rather nice material, and I thought hard before cutting it out.