Conversions?

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Southernskirt

Conversions?

Post by Southernskirt »

Hi There!

So, my skirt collection partly consists of lots of my own creations that I have converted from other garments. One of my favorite is to take blue denim jeans and make a few alterations to make a skirt slightly flared at the hem (my loose interpretation of an A-line). I love this skirt because I have all the belt loops and pockets already in place so much of the more intricate sewing is already done for me :) . I use this style in hiking, camping, and just about-town. I have also made this blue jean conversion into a straight skirt, a pleated skirt, and even a "hobble" style skirt with a narrowed hem around knee-length. My question is this, is there any interest at all out in forum-land in my posting pics and/or instructions on how to do this? Not saying it's the correct way to go about a conversion, just one that works for me. I wanted to check before I went to the trouble of documenting all of it, though I'll be glad to do so if there is anyone who would want to see how I do it.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Conversions?

Post by straightfairy »

I've done a small number of conversion and pics are within the section, as have other members.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I would like to convert a bib and brace overall into a dress, but as I can source so many denim jean style skirts from so many sources (I'm wearing one now, which I'll go to town in later) the effort of remaking jeans seems, to me, superfluous.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Am I on the wrong thread (?) but also converting: Silkbody special material mens crew top, and their womens swing skirt produced the most wonderful garment I have ever owned.
The thing about sewing items together is: are they the same size? Probably not.
However if of the same material of a stretchy nature, as here, not so hard, spreading out with fingers and less on one than other etc. Iuse the thread double, one quarter inch forward, 1/8th" back.
I'll see if there's a photo of me in just it.
These are still available.
The skirt is here:
http://www.silkbody.co.nz/woman/skirts/ ... t-s12.html
This be the top:
http://www.silkbody.co.nz/silkspun-shor ... n-s12.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Having lately lost a fair amount of my former girth, I am considering retiring a number of pairs of jeans and Carhartt dungarees, and would like to experiment with converting these into rugged skirts. Any details or advice would be most appreciated.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

dillon wrote:Having lately lost a fair amount of my former girth, I am considering retiring a number of pairs of jeans and Carhartt dungarees, and would like to experiment with converting these into rugged skirts. Any details or advice would be most appreciated.
Welcome dillon.
There are a few threads here about converting various types of trousers. Try-
Converting Jeans to a Skirt
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 66&t=10899

converting a pair of combat trousers to a skirt
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 66&t=14636

Cargo trousers to skirt conversion.
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 66&t=12608
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Last night I finally got around to converting a worn out pair of Red Camel brand jeans to a skirt. It wasn't great work, but will do, and restored a garment in need of mending to a form and purpose that I will enjoy, despite the somewhat problematic sewing. It will do fine for work around the farm and house. I've been out in the snow today in it (along with warm leggings, coat, gloves, and work boots) to bring in firewood and refill the woodbox. It hangs about center-knee on me, so roughly 21-22 inch length.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Shirt Into Shirt-dress

Post by Grok »

Basing an (improvised) shirt-dress on a man's shirt. This is a work in progress as I post this. I am sewing by hand a strip of cloth to the bottom of a man's shirt.

Purchased at thrift stores:

1. A brick red flat sheet. You can get a cheap expanse of cloth that is larger than what can be found in fabric stores.

2. A short sleeved shirt, bright orange, sized for a man larger than myself.

I actually purchased the flat sheet for another project. Left over was a long strip of cloth, hemmed on one side.
Last edited by Grok on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Shirt Into Shirt-dress

Post by Grok »

The shirt was several sizes larger than what I wear as a shirt. The extra large shirt had a straight bottom, and was long enough to cover my butt. The shirt was large enough to pull over my head while buttoned (which is how I plan to don the finished garment). When I started the conversion, I buttoned up the shirt; I then sewed from the lowest button on down, so I would have a stable area on which to sew the band of cloth; for the same reason I sewed shut a pair of slits on the bottom, one on each side.

I pinned the hemmed side of the cloth strip to the bottom of the shirt, the hemmed side being completely straight. I started sewing the strip on the left side of the shirt; here will be a vertical seam when I finish. This seam will be asymmetrical; I decided to put the seam on the side; I won't be sitting on it.

Note-the strip of cloth included a corner of the flat sheet, so not only is the bottom of the strip hemmed, but so is one end; this hemmed end is where I started sewing, so it will be the basis for the asymmetrical hem.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I cut off the strip of cloth. It gets quite hot in my apartment during the summer, and one way to cool off is wear the next best thing to being naked. And a shorter length helps.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Southernskirt wrote:I'll be glad to do so if there is anyone who would want to see how I do it.
I have a couple of pairs of jeans I bought to cut up but never got round to it, so yes, please post away. :D
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Southernskirt wrote:Hi There!

So, my skirt collection partly consists of lots of my own creations that I have converted from other garments. One of my favorite is to take blue denim jeans and make a few alterations to make a skirt slightly flared at the hem (my loose interpretation of an A-line). I love this skirt because I have all the belt loops and pockets already in place so much of the more intricate sewing is already done for me :) . I use this style in hiking, camping, and just about-town. I have also made this blue jean conversion into a straight skirt, a pleated skirt, and even a "hobble" style skirt with a narrowed hem around knee-length. My question is this, is there any interest at all out in forum-land in my posting pics and/or instructions on how to do this? Not saying it's the correct way to go about a conversion, just one that works for me. I wanted to check before I went to the trouble of documenting all of it, though I'll be glad to do so if there is anyone who would want to see how I do it.
I would like to see the pictures and possibly try this myself. Thank you!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO: Freedom For All.

I am interested in having a wrap skirt made, actually several, in denim, khaki, and camo patters, Preferably stretchy material. They would be a rectangle, above the knees, fasten with velcro, and a belt and buckle for "safety." Very practical for extra stride, easy to put on and take off over hiking boots. Maybe a pocket or two. Straight up and down and resembling shorts. Let me know if you are interested.

Happy-N-Skirts
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Freedomforall wrote:
Southernskirt wrote:Hi There!

I would like to see the pictures and possibly try this myself. Thank you!
The OP has not posted since May 2013 so I'm afraid you will not see many pictures.

I made a few conversions from old jeans. They work but there is a slight problem. The fabric around the bottom of the zipper has a bulge form, partly from the pattern and partly from wearing the jeans. When you cut open the inner seam all around and put the front panel together along this seam, you will see that bulge forming. To counter this effect you have to make one or two darts next ti the zipper. Because a lot of layers of fabric are coming together there, it will be quite difficult to do it invisible.
P8251549q.jpg
This was my very first attempt to make a skirt from old jeans. Being without a sewing machine, it is hand stitched and quite crude.
P8251549qq.jpg
Here is the dart to reduce the bulge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote: I made a few conversions from old jeans. They work but there is a slight problem. The fabric around the bottom of the zipper has a bulge form, partly from the pattern and partly from wearing the jeans. When you cut open the inner seam all around and put the front panel together along this seam, you will see that bulge forming. To counter this effect you have to make one or two darts next ti the zipper. Because a lot of layers of fabric are coming together there, it will be quite difficult to do it invisible.
Thanks. I tried to convert some overalls to a tunic and had the same problem which put me off further conversions of old jeans into work skirts (stone work, not office work).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia