The Great British Sewing Bee

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

The Great British Sewing Bee

Post by Sinned »

I was watching a programme called "The Great British Sewing Bee" last night. I think it was on BBC2. It is styled on the Masterchef format but applied to sewing. One of the tasks that thery were given was to add a couple of patch pockets to a pleated grey skirt. I didn't realise that so much work was involved in just a couple of pockets!!!! Anyway one of the guys added a couple of semicircular red pockets but as a twist made the pockets the top of a flower and added a wavy stem ( sewn directly down the centre of the stem ) and a couple of rough cut leaves all in green. This was chosen as the garment of the day and the skirt did look stunning. Incidentally they were also tasked with making a pair of trousers from scratch and I didn't realise that so much was involved. What with darts and ironing needed at specific points and don't mention the fly! Anyone interested could look it up on the BBC iplayer.

Just thought some of you may be interested.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Great British Sewing Bee

Post by couyalair »

Interested in making a pair of trousers?
No!
Let the factories do that for the men that like crushed nuts.
I've found it hard enough UNmaking trousers! The seams at the crotch and the fly are a real headache to undo.

Martin
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm not suggesting that anyone make trousers Cylr. I was just commenting on how much work goes into making them. It's surely a point against trousers as opposed to making a skirt which is a lot easier.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

It took me about two hours to make the fly in my box-pleat green/brown skirt. After I'd done it, I realised that I'd done it in mirror image. Oops. It's the only thing that annoys me about that skirt, actually: it's got a fly that opens to the left (the "woman" side). It's not a problem because it's on the woman-side, though. It's a problem because I've been using flies that open to the right for 30-odd years that annoys me.

Shutting up now...

Anyway, don't get intimidated by all the fiddly bits. You know when you need to iron, and machine-sewing is easy. Just get to it and enjoy yourself. And be prepared to make mistakes. It's a journey and, as a hobby, skirt-making is hugely rewarding. You get to wear some great skirts and wear them with the pride of a job well done. Also, people are somewhat in awe when they ask "where did you get that?" and you reply "I made it myself."

Paul
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I watched last night's show and one of the garments they had to make was a full kilt with all the pleats. A couple of very good efforts were presented. I'm sure the episode will appear on UTub shortly if you can't get it on BBC iplayer.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

ethelthefrog wrote:It took me about two hours to make the fly in my box-pleat green/brown skirt. After I'd done it, I realised that I'd done it in mirror image. Oops. It's the only thing that annoys me about that skirt, actually: it's got a fly that opens to the left (the "woman" side). It's not a problem because it's on the woman-side, though. It's a problem because I've been using flies that open to the right for 30-odd years that annoys me.
Shutting up now...
Anyway, don't get intimidated by all the fiddly bits. You know when you need to iron, and machine-sewing is easy. Just get to it and enjoy yourself. And be prepared to make mistakes. It's a journey and, as a hobby, skirt-making is hugely rewarding. You get to wear some great skirts and wear them with the pride of a job well done. Also, people are somewhat in awe when they ask "where did you get that?" and you reply "I made it myself."
Paul
If worrying about the type and placement of the FLY why not just go the easy route and use a hidden seam zipper - ambidextrous universal equal access from either the
right or the left and the best part about the construction is it is less complicated other than the ease adjustment for the male projection. What in women's wear is called
the "Flat Front". You can still have belt loops for a belted construction and if worn without a belt and worried about the zipper separating and descending then a interior
button tab can be fabricated. The hidden seam zipper is more commonly used for a rear or side entry on a fitted garment - but can be used in the front.

As for pockets on any garment the jean patch type are the easiest to work with. The only real difficulty is getting the critters settled in place before putting the sewing
machine in gear for the stitching. Patch pockets can go on the bum (normal rear placement) or on the sides (cargo style) and even on the front but that spoils the
clean look of the front and the pockets in that placement are more for show than use (sitting down the contents maybe folded and bent out of shape and if not that then
discomfort for the wearer).

Making a skirt is a breeze compared to the pants with getting all the pieces and parts tacked and pinned before some of the toughest sewing in double and triple folds of
fabric in the crotch area. Really stressful work for the machine; needles and thread !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

In my experience patch pockets are the least complex because they're not integrated into the structure of the skirt, yet they're the most difficult to finish cleanly. In-seam pockets are harder to plan out, but once you do, they're not that difficult to actually sew because each step sets the stage for the next one. In general I prefer non-patch pockets since they're stronger, more complementary to a skirt's shape (IMHO), and easier to sew.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I got to see an episode of this for the first time when I was in a hotel in Halesowen whilst visiting family back in the UK over Christmas.

I found it interesting enough to do a search when I got back home, and I came up with the very first episode of the first season. The first challenge is to build an a-line skirt!

I'd love to be able to put my own skirts and tops together, but I don't have the time to learn such a skill right now from scratch. Maybe a pastime for retirement (in 15-20 years time) :-)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FranTastic444 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:27 am I'd love to be able to put my own skirts and tops together, but I don't have the time to learn such a skill right now from scratch. Maybe a pastime for retirement (in 15-20 years time) :-)
I have a bit of sewing experience, but all self-taught. I just lined a skirt for the first time - it was really easy, and gave me confidence in what I can accomplish. I might post here about it, but if you start slow and simple you can build up to more complex projects.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I'm also a self-taught sewer or sewist. Now I know why we have a Dutch saying that more or less translates as: self-esteem stinks (eigendunk stinkt).

My experience as an engineer helps to cover the basics of sewing but instructions on YouTube show me the trade secrets of hundreds of years of making clothes.

Sewing is a hobby for me and certainly not a competition sport. I pick up a project when I feel the mood is right. Sometimes it takes weeks to finish something and sometimes I reach a dead end and stop. If you have to finish a project in a limited amount of time it would feel as work. I certainly don't want to work under sweat shop conditions. It should be a relaxation for me with something wearable as a bonus.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak