Tunic dress design.

For those do-it-yourselfers...
MoonDrake

Tunic dress design.

Post by MoonDrake »

Recently I've become very interested in the mens tunic dress on midusclothing.com https://www.midasclothing.com/pages/pro ... 53&s_id=27
I want to design something similar, the cost of a pattern to be made is 250$ American doller. How bout some suggestions and ideas? You all my skirted brethren can help with this.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tunic dress design.

Post by couyalair »

MoonDrake wrote:Recently I've become very interested in the mens tunic dress on midusclothing.com https://www.midasclothing.com/pages/pro ... 53&s_id=27
Yes, why not?
I want to design something similar,

Why ? What's wrong with this design?
the cost of a pattern to be made is 250$ American doller.
I don't know what you mean. Are you offering a prize for a design, or suggesting this as a reasonable price for a skirt?
How bout some suggestions and ideas?
I think plenty of skirt ideas have been bandied about here and elsewhere, not counting the numerous designs put on the market and aimed at women.

I feel that far too much emphasis is put on the the idea of designing something new, as if one can really improve upon the basic design of a piece cloth to wind round the hips. Does anyone think that by producing something different, it will be accepted as more "masculine"?

Recently, the French skirt association (HEJ) and the creator Hiatus launched a competition for a new design for a men's skirt. Although I have always liked drawing, designing, creating with the imaginative capacities I happen to be endowed with, I could see no point in taking part in this, as I am quite convinced that all the skirt designs we need already exist. It's unlikely that anyone will come up with something better (more appropriate) than the plain denim skirt (unisex), the sarong, the kilt with or without pleats at the back -- or even the utilikilt with pleats at the front. Do we really need more of the outrageous outfits like those seen on the women's fashion shows, most of which will never be worn? No; the good, down-to-earth, tried-and-tested designs already exist, have existed for centuries. Let's just wear them !

Martin
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

The cost of having a pattern made is 250. I believe it is good design the way it is however I'm not the kinda of guy to steal a design someone else come up with. I just want to know a concensis of opinions on what if anything other skirt wearing men would change.
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

And I agree that current designs are fine. In my opinion this tunic dress is one of the few one peice items sold for a man that is masculin, at least in my eyes. I'm sure others would share this opinion. While others will say what is masculin? And other will say other opinions.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I would change the sleeves, which remind me only of Larry The Cable Guy. Either cut the top like a vest or add some sort of sleeve. Like, rolled-up long sleeves with tie-straps might work.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

That's a good idea with the tie up long sleeves.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

You may find some inspiration searching Google Images for terms like "military uniform skirt" or "safari dress."

Most of the results will be women's sizes, but as I said, there might be some inspiration.

Here's an example:

http://elegantsurvival.wordpress.com/ca ... ari-dress/
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Ill check it out.