New surf dress.

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

New surf dress.

Post by Jack Williams »

Madness reigns.
I've decided to construct a couple of surf dresses out of junk.
It must be a quirk of mine, but not that uncommen I believe, that wet, or dress swimming is a whole lot of fun.
However, surfing in dresses is a bit potentially hard on them as you for instance come right in and grind the chest on the sand.
The Silkbody dress with it's big long skirt was definitely the best in those videos on the Coromandel, but that is basically a $400.00 dress!
So I have taken an old surf t-shirt, and also a $40,00 long sleeved top and am amalgamating them with skirts made from old silk nightshirts. Great recycling. And will probably, once redyed, look far too good for the job.
Look on this thread for photos/videos to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpaBeRBtUs&feature=plcp
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New surf dress.

Post by Grok »

Perhaps we could call the end result an amalgamated garment? I don't know if there is already a term for such.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Patchwork dress might be close... though it implies a few more pieces than you seem to bu using.

Tor
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I suppose patchwork sort of, in that the skirt will be a number of triangular pieces, probably six methinks, which will make it really wide and swingy, as the quite heavy silk is extremely flexible.
The Silkbody dresses are already an "amalgamated" garment, as they are a skirt of theirs which I have added to one of their mens short sleeve tops.
This is a good example, the crepe-de-chine skirt from one of their dresses, which had the skirt really high under the bust, amalgmaated with the mens short sleeve crew to create a really long light silk skirted dress which is great for out on windy days, when that skirt really flies!
No surfing in this one!
The surf one will look somewhat similar though I think, but not quite as long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Very cool, I'm ordering swimsuit material and making the misses and myself swim dresses for the summer.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Great idea. I'll be looking forward to seeing those.
Have't got the ones I mentioned together yet, but I have an old cotton one or two that are good though. The one I'm planing wood in on "Jack Track" is one.
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

I saw that looked good
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Very good Jack.
and very revealing :shock: :)
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Not over the top but!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

OK, I have I think the ideal components for the perfect all polyester surfing dress, seen here as still separate skirt (of which I actually have two), and a long sleeved top. :wink:

A lot less work than the one mentioned above, and also I find the bamboo material is not as rugged as that polyester top from the "Kathmandu" outdoor clothing company.
Save wear on this great dress, which has since been redyed and certainly ain't going in again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpaBeRBtUs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Looking at that, methinks sewing them together just at the stitch line of the top garment, and then removing the stuff above would be the thing.
Giving a nice smooth finished look.
"Watch this space" !

There is of course nothing against it being a great dress for up the street, no pockets notwithstanding!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Right, I think I've got them at the right level as pinned here.
Be great for walking in the rain too, which is great fun.

Went out and got drenched the other morning in this great shirt-dress though, which was really successful!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Got this all polyester wet-dress together today. So far the skirt is attached to the top with one round of backstitching of 1/4" foward and 1/8" back.
The top actually has a second round of stitching about 3/16" lower, and I shall also do that around for extra strength.

I have to say it is supremely comfortable and destined for a lot of other wearing!
Snug on the bod.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Normally I detest the drop-waist look, but have to admit that it works quite well in that shot. Well done; that looks like a keeper.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!