Patterns: Robes, Cloaks....

For those do-it-yourselfers...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Patterns: Robes, Cloaks....

Post by pelmut »

Grok wrote:...BTW, you can buy sheets at thrift stores.  These have a larger surface area than may otherwise be available.
If the colour isn't quite what you want, it is fun to dye them and see what happens.  I tried this with a sheet I wanted to use for making a skirt; the results were 'interesting', but not the colour I intended.

Has anyone tried tie-dying them to produce a pattern?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I haven't tried dying a sheet.

BTW, I have noticed online tutorials for making skirts from sheets. Skirts have large surface areas, and so do sheets.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Working for a store that sells housewares, periodically we sell "shop soiled" [0] items [1] at less than a quarter of their display price [2] and I know that some are bought for the material to make into clothing.

[0] This can cover not only an item carrying some dirt, but items without packaging or something missing such as a pillowcase from a duvet set.
[1] Items will generally be bedding or curtains. There's quite an amount of material in both especially duvet covers or 90"x90" curtains with linings.
[2] As an example a pair of mint green patterned 66"x54" lined curtains whose SP was £30 were on sale for £5.60.

And yes I have bought some material in the past ready to make into a dress/skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: 90"x90" curtains with linings.

And yes I have bought some material in the past ready to make into a dress/skirt.
I hadn't thought of curtains. :idea: Large surface area!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Checking out sheets and curtains in thrift shops is certainly a good idea. I pay about $5 to $10 for a yard of fabric fit for skirts.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carefully chosen the patterns in curtains and duvet covers could make very interesting skirts or even dresses as there is plenty of material there. Have I piqued the interest in those who enjoy sewing as an alternative source of material?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Sinned wrote:Carefully chosen the patterns in curtains and duvet covers could make very interesting skirts or even dresses as there is plenty of material there. Have I piqued the interest in those who enjoy sewing as an alternative source of material?
Using old bed sheets was already done. I made a few skirts from sheets and even a prototype for a dress.
P1010232q.jpg
Checking out thrift shops is maybe an easier way than waiting for a sheet to be worn down or ripped. The thrift shop sheets will be in a better shape I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak