I love sewing

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Dressman

I love sewing

Post by Dressman »

When I was a kid I used to watch me auntie darn everyones socks and trousers. I picked it up and never looked back really.
Maverick

Re: I love sewing

Post by Maverick »

I can remenber my mum using her treddle powered sewing machine as a boy.I was facinated and couldn't wait to have a go, the rest as you say is history
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I love sewing too, I've just made a sail for my kayak Image
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

a sail for my kayak
A couple of months ago I put up a kayak for sale. :hide:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

I love sewing, too. I bought a really cheap electric sewing machine for myself for Christmas, and have been turning out garments of slowly increasing quality since then. A friend has asked me to make her a skirt, actually, and my wife is queueing up jobs for me.

In my copious spare time.

Fun fun.

Paul.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I love sewing too. Although I have two or three sewing macines, I find myself sitting in the sun, or listening to music or whatever while I alter my dresses or stuff with double-thread back stitching, followed up (not nessesarily immediately!) by sail stitching to complete the edges together, much as overlocking. Very strong and forgettable job.
Crazyman

Post by Crazyman »

Me too! The first thing I ever made when I was about 14 was that I took an old black umbrella and made it into a skirt, all by hand. Looked pretty convincing, too. I also made my own full-body spandex suit. Took me weeks because I wasn't using a pattern, but just winging it all by hand. Must've made like 50 alterations to where I got the perfect fit. The most difficult thing about that suit, which I still have by the way, was doing the ZIPPER. I think zippers are the single most difficult aspect of sewing, and I found that it's especially hard to do with leather. I had a favourite hip pack made of leather and the zipper busted, so I took it out, measured it, and got one of the same exact length. Only problem is that I can't figure out how to put the new one in! :lol: Zippers are so useful, but so complicated. I'm probably just gonna throw it out, since I've replaced it with a beautiful leather over-the-shoulder purse.
About 6 months ago I bought a used sewing machine but I still haven't been able to figure out how to use it, namely the part on how to thread the thread and get it to do what you want it to. Guess I'll have to watch a couple of YouTube videos about that.
Most of the time I don't create anything new, but I mostly just do repairs and alterations, and always by hand.
Although time-consuming, it's really a meditative thing because you're focused on doing just that one thing.