stealth skirt pattern needed

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Jock
Distinguished Member

stealth skirt pattern needed

Post by Jock »

As many are aware there are a few skirts on the market that are designed to look like shorts at a quick glance (J'Dez, Anubis). These designs are v expensive and I dinnae have much tae spare these days (account with Royal Bank of Scotland :cry: ). A lassie that I know is very good with a sewing machine and has offered tae make a 'stealth skirt' for me if I can find a pattern.

Can any of you help?
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: stealth skirt pattern needed

Post by Since1982 »

Please define a "stealth" skirt? What's stealthy about it, camo or invisible? Good for sneaking up on your favorite persons? :twisted:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Did a search for a stealth skirt and came up with this link/item:

http://www.vaughncochranart.com/cart/pr ... uctId=4243

Description makes it a 'skort'.

"KILT-ON"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

r.m.anderson wrote:Description makes it a 'skort'.
Yes a skort it is, (shorts designed to look like a skirt), which is the reverse of what I am seeking. :cry:
Jock wrote:..skirts on the market that are designed to look like shorts at a quick glance
is what I am after 8)
examples are:
http://www.jdez.com/men/23015.html
http://www.mranubis.co.uk/stealth-kilts.aspx
Capice?
Jock MacHinery
===========
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I don't know, if you want to wear a skirt that looks like shorts, why not just wear shorts? If you're worried what people will think of you wearing a skirt, and perhaps get angry, they're gonna get a lot angrier if they think it's shorts and then find out its a skirt, they might feel duped. Isn't the whole idea of wearing a skirt mainly for YOUR comfort? Not who thinks what about your tastes in body coverings. Something about those jdez "things" smack of pretending its one thing while its really something else. Whatever flops your mop tho, enjoy!

Just my opinion... :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Hey, give the guy a break. It takes time to coax yourself into walking out there in a skirt. We have years of conditioning to overcome. At least he's on the path!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

What you're probably looking for is a Box-Pleated Skirt/Kilt.

You could achive this by using only 4 pleats.
They would be deep pleats, at the 90 degree points of a circle.
Front, Side, Back and Side. A 6" deep pleat should work fine.
(Thats 3" on each side of the 'split'.)
If you only want the pleats front and back, then I'd suggest a
minimum of 8" deep pleats.

Just a thought to consider if you can't find a pattern.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Jock,

Both the Mr Anubis and the Jdez skirts are made with just 2 box pleats; one in the front and one at the back. I have a long skirt made this way (see the second picture here) however the length means it tends to look more skirt like than I suspect you want.

I would guess that transforming a fairly straight skirt pattern into a "stealth skirt" by adding the large pleats front and back at a height to start just below the fly zip would not be too difficult. I would recommend sewing the inside edges of the pleat to encourage it to hang in shape, neither the Jdez nor the long black skirt is sewn on the hidden pleat edges and as a result the pleats tend to hang "open" as in the linked picture. If you are looking for a less visible skirt you probably need to encourage the fabric to hang with the pleat closed.

Good luck with your project, be sure to let us know how you get on.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

Uncle Al and Ian - thank you both for your very practical suggestions. I will consult with my tailoress and see what she can do.
John (JRM) - thanks for the supportive comment.
Jock MacHinery
===========
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Milfmog wrote:Jock,
I have a long skirt made this way (see the second picture here) however the length means it tends to look more skirt like than I suspect you want.
Is that a Bruno Loodts skirt? If so, I have one just like it - great until I sat down and 4" of the backseam pulled apart :( They made it to my measurements - too tight :roll:
As you say, with the pleat it's designed to look like trousers but because of the length it resembles very, very wide trousers - much wider than a man these days would wear.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Charlie wrote:
Milfmog wrote:Jock,
I have a long skirt made this way (see the second picture here) however the length means it tends to look more skirt like than I suspect you want.
Is that a Bruno Loodts skirt? If so, I have one just like it - great until I sat down and 4" of the backseam pulled apart :( They made it to my measurements - too tight :roll:
As you say, with the pleat it's designed to look like trousers but because of the length it resembles very, very wide trousers - much wider than a man these days would wear.
Charlie
It is branded "Inter-moden" and was a cheap ebay purchase. The company website indicates that they make medieval and gothic clothes but sell to traders rather than the public.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

I really like this design, but that's firkin' expensive!! :shock:
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

straightfairy wrote:
I really like this design, but that's firkin' expensive!! :shock:
aye! most "men's skirt" products are high-priced. captive audience, and all that goes with it!

just buy a skirt. it's not like people are going to notice that you're wearing a MALE skirt, and suddenly accept it! or even believe you if you tell them you bought it from a men's store/department.

skirts are skirts. period. most people will assume it is a woman's garment, sometimes even if it's obviously a kilt!

stealth skirts
stealth kilts
macabi skirts
et bloody cetera

they're just EXPENSIVE skirts.

period.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Uncle Al and Ian - thank you both for your very practical suggestions. I will consult with my tailoress and see what she can do.
John (JRM) - thanks for the supportive comment.

I was only trying to help, Jock..I didn't expect to be ignored when the TY's were given. But, as I said, whatever flops your mop. :(

Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

It's been widely reported that denim seems to be the stealth fabric of choice; as in, no one seems to notice that you're wearing anything unusual, as long as the skirt is made of denim.

Now I'm looking for the skirt of invisibility, the one that makes one so invisible that they don't see the skirt OR the person! Or maybe a robe (dress?) of invisibility would be more appropriate here.