Going to sew my own kilt, any suggestions before I start?

For those do-it-yourselfers...
MarkReaves

Going to sew my own kilt, any suggestions before I start?

Post by MarkReaves »

I'm gonna sew my own kilt within a week (have to prepare the sewing machine, get some more practice in with it, get some fabric and more thread). I will be making a "test kilt" probably using an old sheet or other very cheap fabric just for testing my sewing and such. After I'm confident in my abilities, I will work with the more expensive fabric.

I have questions for anyone willing to answer them, keep in mind that I have researched a lot when it comes to making kilts, but I am wanting to make a "utility kilt" and NOT a traditional kilt. The kilt I want to make has to have cargo pockets (might try to do a Velcro or button system to allow them to be removed whole). It also has to have pleats that will not "catch" on things as I brush by. It will also have to be relatively sturdy as I do a lot of outdoor activities along with a lot of getting in and out of cars and sitting on rough surfaces. It also has to be cool because where I'm at, it can get quite hot (100+ the past few days). I am also a large man who is also on a diet. The waist will be held with Velcro so it can adjust with my reducing waist. The kilt will be worn at the same place as pants and shorts and will have belt loops. For those wondering, my current measurement when my pants sit is 52in. and the length from there to my knee is about 23in.

My questions are:
* What's the best fabric for a utility kilt that is a good mix of function of cost. I don't want to spend more than $50 TOTAL for fabric for this kilt.
* Are there any diagrams or examples I can see online of pleats? I'm unsure of what kind of pleats to use and how much fabric they will need.
* Anyone know how to sew cargo pockets?
* Has anyone here made their own Utility kilt? If so, could you give me some tips and advice and maybe some pictures?

Any tips, advice and such would be appreciated.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Going to sew my own kilt, any suggestions before I start?

Post by RichardA »

Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

Congratulations for having the cojones to sew your own! I hope you'll post pictures and keep us posted as to how the work progresses.

P.S. I followed your link, and as a woman I have to agree with you -- skirts on men ARE sexy, and do make a gal start thinking!
simon

Post by simon »

It's also worth having a look at http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/x_ki ... index.html.

It doesn't look like the directions have been updated to include cargo pockets yet, so you'll probably need to add those on your own. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to at some stage.

Edit: I just looked a bit further down on the same board as the sticky thread I referenced. Found a post with the same text, so I'm sure you've seen it before...
Simon
MarkReaves

Post by MarkReaves »

Yea I found the Xkilt post the day I joined this forum. I've been reading through the posts there and found a lot of useful information.

My first kilt attempt was not so good (no pics). Today I'm working on my second kilt attempt using my own design and a camo fabric. For simplicity and since I frequent the other board more than this one (that may change if skirt cafe because good like it was said to use to be), anyone interested in following my second attempt at making a kilt can keep tabs on it by visiting this post.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I'm lat here, but a few things.
Basically a kilt is simply a pleated front wrap skirt. One can find a ladies' kilt skirt in a "manly tartan" and reverse the closing and voila! The Utilikilt type of skirt is a variation more resembling a hybrid between kilt and cargo - a pleated cargo skirt. I would advise the heaviest fabric you can obtain, twill, drill, canvas etc. I used heavy weight twill. Use the heaviest thread you can also. Prepare the fabric by machine washing/drying it two times to get the shrinking out of it and the natural "starch" all new fabric has to some degree. I used about 10 feet to make my kilt. I just took a long rectangular piece, hemmed on the bottom edge, and began in the exact center making a double inverted pleat, then using a cardboard template, I began making pleats - carefully folding, pinning, lining up, folding, pinning with hundreds of pins, took days. Then once you have enough pleats (depends on waist) you have to steam these pleats in by laying the whole garment on a work table over a blanket or sheets, then spraying with water and then a very hot iron on full steam with a damp towel between between it and the garment, takes hours. Let the garment dry totally, takes days. Then pull all the pins out and edgestitch every pleat inside and out top to bottom, this holds a crips permanent pleat without ironing every time you want to wear it, takes hours and hours to stitch miles..takes three spools of thread to make a kilt. Design the front flap however you like and attach a regular skirt waistband made the normal way, attach belt loops etc.

Pleats should be at least 2 inches "deep", the deeper the better. this is why kilts take so much material. I used ten feet, but I have a 32" waist and 36" hips. For every added inch you need about 5 inches of material... I doubt you'll be able to get the right fabric for 50 bucks. Twill can run 20 bucks a yard here., thread a buck or two a spool.

The more I reflect on this, a plain cargo skirt is more economical and just as practical in many respects. Just make it with a zip front fly and belt loops with patch pockets etc.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I have not made a kilt but have altered a few to suit my wearing.
A real handy book I found most helpful is one by the author:
BARBARA TEWKSBURY "THE ART OF KILTMAKING"
Published by Celtic Dragon Press
http://www.celticdragonpress.com
Price about $30.00.
8.5 x 11 sprial bound 140 pages
I don't think you will find a better source in print for the task of making a kilt.
Excellent graphic pictures.
5 Stars and then some.
Might find one at a public library if you can not afford this treasure.
WOW! HURRY CHECK THIS OUT ON EBAY:

The Art of Kiltmaking Book by Barbara Tewksbury NEW! Item number: 140251878005

Bidding is at 15.00.

"KILT-ON"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I am considering making my own "great kilt". The material would cost $100 - 150.00. I understand there is very little sewing involved but the pleating and belting sounds like a lot of work. Has anyone ever worn one?
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Hi!

This is my first post here. If you would like to make traditional kilt (hend sawn) then I'm supporting r.m.anderson. The book is fantastic and I'm just sewing my first traditional kilt.
Miket

Post by Miket »

Rick410r,

I "wore" a great kilt - of own make - about 5 years ago. The material - a polyester cotton of "Royal Stewart" only cost about £15 - and it was a bit of an experiment. The girls school I was working at had a "dress -up" day for charity with a Scottish theme. Without a kilt at the time, I went for the home made solution, using instructions from the internet, and a few runs of "Braveheart" to get all the moves, two leather belts, and a large brooch to pin the upper part, it proved very successful and looked reasonably "authentic". Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. I think I used about 6 metres of double width fabric.

It snowed heavily on the day, and I had a minibus driving test to take at school. I don't know what the examiner thought when faced with the rather frightening apparition of me in a kilt, looking vaguely like Mel Gibson without the blue warpaint!