Tutu?

For those do-it-yourselfers...
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Tutu?

Post by sapphire »

Looking for advice here.

I want to make a combo jeans skirt and tutu: Denim yoke and laye rs of hot pink tulle.

I'm going to cut the legs off the jeans and then attach the tulle. WHat is the best was to do this? should I attach all layers of the tulle to the denim or do one layer at a time? Should I attach the tulle to an underlining. If so, should I do it one layer at a time or all layers at once?

SHould I attach the layers to the waistband?

Thanks
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tutu?

Post by AMM »

sapphire wrote:Looking for advice here.

I want to make a combo jeans skirt and tutu: Denim yoke and laye rs of hot pink tulle.

I'm going to cut the legs off the jeans and then attach the tulle. WHat is the best was to do this? should I attach all layers of the tulle to the denim or do one layer at a time? Should I attach the tulle to an underlining. If so, should I do it one layer at a time or all layers at once?

SHould I attach the layers to the waistband?

Thanks
I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind.

Is the idea to make a jeans skirt with the tulle as sort of trim? Or to have it look like you are wearing a tutu underneath the skirt? And is it supposed to look like a Real Tutu(tm) (see http://tutuinfo.com and http://tutu.com), or just a skirt or petticoat-skirt with several layers of tulle?

I have played around with tulle and net, but haven't had much luck getting something I'm happy with.

I would suggest making sure there's a layer or two of comfortable fabric between the tulle or net and your skin. A layer of lining material is probably enough for tulle, but my square dance petticoat has stiff net and an organza layer nearest the skin, and I still prefer to have a half-slip under that.

I don't think you want to attach the tulle or net to the inside of the waistband, as you don't want it pressed up against your body. The net petticoats I've seen all have a tier ("basque") of nylon tricot around 6--8" long between the waist and where the net starts.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I'm looking to create a very short mini denim skirt with the tulle extending to knee length, sort of like a petticoat but with more of the "petticoat" showing. I'm NOT looking to create a powder puff tutu
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

sapphire wrote:I'm looking to create a very short mini denim skirt with the tulle extending to knee length, sort of like a petticoat but with more of the "petticoat" showing. I'm NOT looking to create a powder puff tutu
Well, this is just me, but if I were trying to execute this idea (for me :) ), I would try the following:

1. Attach the top (outer) layer of tulle just behind the hem of the denim miniskirt, maybe an inch above the bottom (so it has a chance to spread out before you see it.)

2. I would make each tulle layer out of several "arcs" of tulle, so that the top has something like a 3x gather, and the circumference of the tulle at the bottom is also something like 3x gathered (or more) when extended out to the desired cone shape. Let's say the denim skirt is 12" long and you want the tulle to add another 10", and you're thinking of a 3-radian flare, so the denim skirt might have a 80" hem circumference and the bottom of the skirt an "effective" circumference of, say, 110", you might want the tulle to be 240" at the top and 330" at the bottom.

3. If this isn't enough "puffiness", I would add additional layers, attaching each one to the inside of the skirt, 1/2" or so above the previous, but extending to the same skirt length as the outer layer.

4. I would definitely add a lining (polyester lining fabric is probably good enough) running from the bottom of the waistband to the bottom of the tulle, or maybe up to 2" above the bottom, depending upon whether you want the hem of the lining to show a little when you move. The lining should be the same color as the tulle, unless you want people to notice that it's there.

5. If you find the tulle too scratchy, even with a lining, you might want a second lining of organza between the tulle and the inner lining. Try sitting on scrunched up tulle to see how it feels.

Keep in mind I like fairly full, conical skirts. But also keep in mind that flat (ungathered) tulle is visually quite boring. Also, tulle under the skirt, especially under a denim skirt, adds nothing but scratchiness, hence attaching it near the hem.
juliamat

Post by juliamat »

Balanchine/Karinska Tutu: also known as the "powder puff" is a very short skirt with no hoops, and fewer layers of netting than the pancake or classical styles.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'm NOT looking to create a powder puff tutu
But Sapphire, you'd look sooo INTERESTING in a powder puff tutu. ::::::::dancing madly in a circle cackling insanely and whooping like a Cauliflower Whooper...Whoop whoop whoop:::::
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well, I think a traditional tutu whizzing straight out from the waist when pirouetting would look really good worn naked if one had the physique! Male or female.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

OK-this is not on topic :wink:

My grandson used to tell me .........
"There's a Tu-Tu-Twain PawPaw!"

I know, it's a groaner - but hey, out of the mouths of babe's.
(I couldn't resist - :wink: )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)