A pencil skirt

For those do-it-yourselfers...

Re: A pencil skirt

Postby Fred in Skirts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Tipsytim wrote:Hello everyone. I had to join this group to answer this point.

:welcome:
Welcome to the cafe Tipsytim!! Grab a seat and a cuppa and tell us a little about yourself. :D
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Postby beachlion » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Welcome to this forum.
My problem is not really the visibility of the bulge but more the cut of the skirt. I have other skirts in more or less the same style without that much of a bulge. So I will try to find a better cut. I also have a slight belly and the drooping front is adding to the effect. I will make a second version soon.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Postby weeladdie18 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Perhaps my style of pencil skirt outfit is the answer to the bulge problem.....I wear a traditional
Scottish Drovers Sporran hanging from a tight leather waist belt.....I prefer not to carry a heavy load
in my sporran....just spectacles or handkerchief or a few coins. ...As I have said before , I also
often wear an unbuttoned male tweed sports jacket . Nice and warm with plenty of pockets.
Or perhaps a long wooley cardigan, worn in such a way as to show my drovers sporran.
The sporran is made from one or two pieces of leather sown together together with leather thonging.
Check out the photos of this item " Drovers Sporran " on the Scottish Highland Dress Suppliers webb sites.
The basic design is a one piece leather bag held together with a draw string , a front cover, and a belt loop
attached to the rear of the bag.....Visit your local Charity Shop and canibalise a handbag and a woven
leather belt and you have all the materials you require.....good hunting ....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Grok » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Daryl wrote:
beachlion wrote:
1. Make the skirt fuller and rapidly tapered in at the waist by means of pleats or darts. That little extra bit of fullness gets rid of the problem at the "wrong spot" but doesn't ruin the overall straight-long silhouette effect. You can afford to add a slight taper inwards once past the "wrong spot". That will enhance the sharp/straight look without looking like your skirt was made to accomodate female hips.
This description sounds like that of a pegged skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Daryl » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 am

Grok wrote:
Daryl wrote:
beachlion wrote:
1. Make the skirt fuller and rapidly tapered in at the waist by means of pleats or darts. That little extra bit of fullness gets rid of the problem at the "wrong spot" but doesn't ruin the overall straight-long silhouette effect. You can afford to add a slight taper inwards once past the "wrong spot". That will enhance the sharp/straight look without looking like your skirt was made to accomodate female hips.
This description sounds like that of a pegged skirt.

But nowhere near as dramatically pleated, and especially not shaped to create the illusion of female hips or buttocks.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Sewing