Sarongs and other wrap around skirts.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Sarongs and other wrap around skirts.

Post by Peter v »

Reading often about sarongs, I wonder if they could be brought into fashion as skirts, in sarong fashion? Meaning being a skirt, of other colour / pattern, but with the sarong construction.

Also are there any good instruction sites for how to wear sarongs, and other such wrap around skirts, step for step? As it seems that there is some getting used to how to put them on correctly.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
skirtedsailor

Post by skirtedsailor »

Try http://www.lungiman.com

They have what they call the surf kilt which is nothing but a sarong. Some really cool pattens, although somewhat pricey.

I think they have instructions for wear as well.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Peter v wrote:Are there any good instruction sites for how to wear sarongs, and other such wrap around skirts, step for step? As it seems that there is some getting used to how to put them on correctly.
There are video instructions for 25 different styles here, most are for the ladies but towards the end you will find a number of male styles.

Alternatively Jan (Kiltair) produced these instructions which I find easier to follow.

A Google search for "how to tie a sarong male" produced more than 90,000 hits; I'll leave you to check the rest out for yourself...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Milfmog wrote:
Peter v wrote:Are there any good instruction sites for how to wear sarongs, and other such wrap around skirts, step for step? As it seems that there is some getting used to how to put them on correctly.
There are video instructions for 25 different styles here, most are for the ladies but towards the end you will find a number of male styles.

Alternatively Jan (Kiltair) produced these instructions which I find easier to follow.

A Google search for "how to tie a sarong male" produced more than 90,000 hits; I'll leave you to check the rest out for yourself...

Have fun,

Ian.
Thanks, great. The you tube film "how to tie a sarong is really interesting.

Parero - sarongs:

Of course, when you have breasts, anything drapes beautifully over them, hanging on them. Men don't have much overhang there, so the cloth must hang on the body another way. And as mentioned before, the cloth must be of a "size" suitable for your body width, otherwise there may be nit enough cloth over for a good knot. I like the way women wear them, as opposed to the men, them only wearing them from the waist down. as opposed to the women wearing them as a dress, which could also be done by men of course. Naturally, in warm countrys, the women wear them as dresses to cover their breasts, and the men only have to cover from the waist down.

But I would like to use the parero idea as a dress for the summer. And if other colours / material was used, it could I think be used as a dress all year round. In apropriate temperatures of course. Creative thinking. That comes with accepting the freestyle way of dressing / thinking.

When only wearing it at waist level for men, should give no problems.
I wonder if the pareroes have only one size for all people or are thee different sizes for men and women?
Otherwise the parero is a very versatile dress / skirt. Fantastic.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I see skirtedsailor has brought up the surf kilt and the instructions for tying. I have, I think, four of these and they are tube sarongs. I have tried, and my adult daughters have tried and we have all failed to tie them using the instructions supplied, so I resort to the Indonesian mens tube sarong style, voila! success 8)
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Uncle Al

Tying a Sarong

Post by Uncle Al »

One of the ladies I used to work with-before retirement-used
to sell sarongs at the office on vender day. Her husband is
from Samoa. He showed me how to 'tie' the sarong.

First hold both ends of the material, like you were drying your
behind after a shower.

Next, wrap the right part over your tummy.

Next wrap the left part over your tummy.

Because the pressure of the outside material is
holding the inside material steady, switch hands.

Take the ends (corners) your were holding,
suck in your tummy, and pull untill material
is tight on your tummy. Then poke the one on the right
over the top of the inside material. This forms a tube.
Tuck the corner of the inside material, on the left, over
the top of the outside material and give it a slight roll down.

Keep that tummy in!!!!!

Next, roll the material 'tube' down 5-6 inches.

Now you can let your tummy out.

I haven't lost one yet! :)

I hope this helps :!:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Thanks for the tips. I must see if I can get something suitable. I like the dress type, full body lenght, which may not be so commonly worn by men, but as a dress in the summer, it should be really comfortable. Being "fully dressed, but still very cool and airy. Sometimes even in the summer I don't feel comfortable in all situations without something worn up top, so a dress is ideal.

The skirt option is of course very nice, especially when you don't want anything, like a shirt or T shirt on top, don't want to be only dressed in a swim short, so put on a skirt with onlu underpants underneath.

Hmmn summer, makes me think about our vaccation in Sweden, at a lake, where we were bitten nearly to madness by mosquitos, which even pricked through my Fjall Raven G 1000 trekking pants, feeling exactly as if I was being pricked by a sewing needle! To think of wearing a ( short ) skirt there... :roll: :(

With that said, it may be wise to wear the age old pants, long sleave shirts and hat as protection against insects, persistent horse flies, mosquito's, tics etc. :roll: :( :( :? But when they are not present, immediately put the skirt or dress on and enjoy it.

Peter v.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

That's one thing winter has going for it: NO BUGS
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

sapphire wrote:That's one thing winter has going for it: NO BUGS
That's for sure. Boy those Swedish mosquitos did bite! :twisted: :twisted:
Maybe we were soft, juicy and very tasty.

And strangely enough, the swedes didn't seem to bother much, but at certain times in the morning and the afternoon, you could look at your watch, an know that they were comming, we had to be behind mossie nets. My wife had a bite on her foot, and it became a bruise/bump about four inches wide, and three quarters inch high. It was huge. Otherwise it was really a nice country to visit, possibly like many places in the US I would Imagine. But for us living in the very cramped sardine can the Netherlands, it was great, endless straight, and winding roads with trees as far as you could see.

Wasn't wearing skirts then.
So back to skirts.

Peter v.
DavidsSkirts

Sarongs and skirts vs pants, re: pests and predators...

Post by DavidsSkirts »

Trousers won't protect you against ticks, nor some other parasites - like leeches - as many of these like dark, protective places to hide in, and trousers/pants/jeans are actually more conducive to picking up such wee l'il beasties...

Skirts (or going nude...) actually means less chance of harbouring such fugitives; as for flies and mossies - insect repellants still work, even if they are often toxic..
8)

I have a couple of ankle length sarongs, and a couple of mini' length (comparatively speaking - more correctly they could be equally called midi's, as they are knee length..).
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
SkirtDude

Re: Sarongs and skirts vs pants, re: pests and predators...

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sarongs and skirts vs pants, re: pests and predators...

Post by Peter v »

SkirtDude wrote:
DavidsSkirts wrote:Trousers won't protect you against ticks,
Virginia is notorious for its ticks and poison ivy. When hiking I tuck my pant cuffs into my socks so the ticks walk up the outside of my clothes rather than the inside. Then I douse the socks with 20% deet for good measure. I don't care much for the smell of the repellents but they beat the heck out of getting Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Fever. .
Yes, those dam..d pesky insects. :?

I think that the best way to repel them would be from the inside out. Go nude and take some conkuction in, so that you excrete a insect repelling sweat / odour, so that the insects will not see you as a delicious fast food package.

But who has that conkuction, which is healthy for us, yet makes us invisible to insects?
When wearing clothes, the insects have to penetrate that barrier first, which gives us time to evade them. But as stated, some insects choose to seek dark places... :? :?

I remember one time a few years back, in the North of france, I went walking with my son in the mountains next to the camping, and stepped into long grass, only to see to my shock a few minutes later, that my khaki pants trousers were black!!! :shock: :shock: Jes, they were BLACK, and covered with TICS ! LIme disease :? :shock: :shock: So with a jump I lept on to the road and shook and hit them off my pants, panting form the shock. If I had been bare legged, they were probably up to my groin!

So next time I'm going in a wet suit! :roll: :wink:

I also remember being followed by horse flies, In Germany. Worse than a SAM rocket! I dread the idea of them getting at my bare legs, under a skirt. :? That's when I appreciate pants and long sleaves, even in the summer.

Peter v.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sarongs and other wrap around skirts.

Post by Grok »

An innovation - the kikoy buckle.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Sarongs and other wrap around skirts.

Post by Since1982 »

Is there anywhere on the site that buckle is on that shows a person wearing a kikoy and the buckle at the same time?? As it shows now, it looks like something to pitch at someone's head or anchor a small boat with. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/