Sarongs and other wrap around skirts.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Milfmog

Re: Sarongs and other wrap around skirts.

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:Is there anywhere on the site that buckle is on that shows a person wearing a kikoy and the buckle at the same time?? As it shows now, it looks like something to pitch at someone's head or anchor a small boat with. :faint:
A wooden anchor Skip? Interesting idea, probably up there with the fireproof match and the waterproof teabag (good value for money those teabags; you can use them again and again).

Seriously, my wife has a couple of similar buckles / clips that she uses with sarongs but they are decorated with coloured glass jewels and are not to my taste. However, when she bought one last year at a craft fair I had a chat with the stand owner who also made the clips and suggested that she consider making a few plain ones or possibly some with a design more akin to mens belts. I reckon a skull and crossbones would be right up my street :D. If we get to the fair again this year I'll be looking to see if anything suitable for me has appeared on the stand. In the meantime I continue to roll and fold my sarongs.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I like the look of the natural wooden buckle, but can't imagine how you could use is to fix anything.

Martin
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

There is also the question of whether or not they're still in business.
Check out the last post in their "news" section, dated 4 years ago, where they announced that they had to close their operation.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Noticed "buckles"-scroll down. I was disappointed when I clicked on "mens."
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Another list of uses.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Wikipedia article for sarongs.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Wanted to get an image of the kikoy buckle in actual use.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Now-custom sarongs.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

And it looks like you can get sarongs for kids.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Grok wrote:Now-custom sarongs.
Hmmm, it would be nice to see them modelled by men as well. The impression is that a sarong is a woman's garment :(

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The marketing I see on line seems to imply that, yes, sarongs are womens' garments. Not that I have anything against women wearing sarongs, but we are seeing the assumption that unbifurcated garments are exclusively female. So what do we do if the word "sarong" becomes associated exclusively with women? Borrow one of the other terms for sarongs. Perhaps use different patterns on the garments-for example, do not use a floral pattern or the color pink on a sarong intended for men. Of course an implication is a differentiation by gender. So we end up with...Braveheart sarongs?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

But devotees of The Apprentice (UK version) know different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0cTE2_JSZs Start 3 minutes in.

He says it's not a sarong, it's a kikoi (sp?) and am I not in a position to dispute that!

A couple of funny looks from the other competitors, and there is a quiet "it's a skirt" from one of the women, but he doesn't seem to care. And really, neither do they after about 5 seconds.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The idea of custom sarongs gave me an idea. Some suppliers of nontraditional kilts also sell T-shirts. Why not offer a sarong? The customers are interested in unbifurcated garments.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Kikoi (Kikoy?) is an east African version of a sarong, and traditional mens wear. The images I see on line indicate a pattern of colorful stripes. Also, I came across a comment that women there started to wear the Kikoy.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I can't say I like sarongs that are bundled up and knotted at the waist. I prefer a smoothe look. The three (paréos) I have acquired all have tapes at the ends, so I wrap the cloth around me (mine go one & a half times round), then tie the tapes wherever they meet. They have darts and are shaped between hips and waist, thus remaining smoothe and flat, looking, imho, like a garment not just like someting you threw on hastily to cover your nakedness.

Martin