Men's skirts on the catwalk

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Men's skirts on the catwalk

Post by Charlie »

I found this, men's skirts at some fashion shows. Mostly Jean Paul Gaultier - at least he's still out there.

http://men.style.com/fashion/search/res ... nd=trend27

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Sadly, not up to JPG's normal flair! Especially from a chap who has done more than anyone in the "Fashion World" to encourage blokes to expand their horizons. But that's the 'killer', of course - that word "fashion" = transitory, but more important - expensive! To be fair, we've probably all seen skirts on sale in menswear shops in the 'clubbing wear' section and, not that dear! Just nothing over a 30 inch waist!!!!!!! :?

First impressions of the collection? Looks like, "Take one bloke - add one tablecloth....." No wonder the models look so depressed! :(
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Hmmmmm . . . I haven't had a 30 inch waist since I was 19!

I agree that JPG has shown better men skirts than this before. I particularly hate the heavy Dr. Marten type boots that the models are wearing in this collection. Someone should show some imagination in respect of mens' shoes!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Brrrr UGLY. They look like zombies from Michael Jackson's thriller video clip.
So much lack of expression, so heavy booted, so just ugly, even for just pure men's skirt wear. No wonder that is not catching on. I know that the catwalk has to be extreme, the confection that is derived from it later, is most often "cleaned up" before reaching the public, but still, not tantalising at all.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Sad

Post by Since1982 »

It's sad that some of us are not as accepting of other's wear as we used to be. "Hate and Ugly" are mean spirited words. My mom had a saying I really liked, "If you can't say something nice about what you see, it's better to say nothing at all"...

Speaking to JPG's line, too dark for me, and I think wearing trousers under a skirt blows away the reason for a skirt in the first place.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

I do like the skirt suit from Valentino. But I thought MEN would model it? :wink: It's disappointing they are all 'playing it safe' by wearing trousers underneath :? ... I did like the Pinstripe also, and the ankle-length black skirt :)
Last edited by Kilty on Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

yep the skirt suit and shoes are nice but are unfortunately not presented by men. Every beginning is tough and even skirt wearing shall be filtered through traditional men's fashion, at least for a while.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

I did like one

Post by JRMILLER »

Of the bunch, I did like this one. I particularly like the idea of connecting the tie and the skirt together color-wise.

http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fa ... 00180m.jpg
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sad

Post by Peter v »

Since1982 wrote:It's sad that some of us are not as accepting of other's wear as we used to be. "Hate and Ugly" are mean spirited words. My mom had a saying I really liked, "If you can't say something nice about what you see, it's better to say nothing at all"...

Speaking to JPG's line, too dark for me, and I think wearing trousers under a skirt blows away the reason for a skirt in the first place.
You are right, here goes: I think that the models could have shown some happiness while wearing the fashions, and the colours were somewhat bland, near dark. Unhappy looking models, like they were in need to go the lavatory, and the dark unstimulating colours don't do the men's skirt fashion any good.
I personally think that the fashion shown will not be to the taste of many. Would probably put men off skirt wearing for life. On the catwalk showings may be a bit adventurous, but personally, I think this batch is does not much good.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I still hate the boots.

:wink:
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Departed Member

Memo to self:

(My) New Year Resolutions

The battle against (so-called) "political correctness" is to become my top priority for 2008. Saying what you really feel is more important, more honest than saying what you think other folk may want to hear. With the sole exception of JPG, who has at least tried for over a decade, I hate the "Fashion Industry" for trivialising (or ridiculing) the concept of "Skirts for Men".
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Actually aside from the women modeling so called men's styles, and the guys looking frumpy or nearly neanderthalish, or the men wearing pants beneath the skirts, these styles show hope. The are not as table clothish as some of the designs I have seen. At at least all the men are wearing some form of upper body wear. If the Valentino pictures are in fact proposed male fashions, I WOULD TOTALLY WEAR THAT!!!...perhaps with different shoes. The designer should have had a male model, and a female model to show that the differences between male and female wear is not all that different.

Overall, I like the presented styles, just not how they were presented.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

merlin wrote:Memo to self:

(My) New Year Resolutions

The battle against (so-called) "political correctness" is to become my top priority for 2008. Saying what you really feel is more important, more honest than saying what you think other folk may want to hear. With the sole exception of JPG, who has at least tried for over a decade, I hate the "Fashion Industry" for trivialising (or ridiculing) the concept of "Skirts for Men".
As they say in the English parlement "Hear Hear"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying what WE really think, is one of the most important freedoms we can enjoy. It is the right to do that that is worth fighting for. You can't have a good swim without getting wet, so it may not be well recieved all the time, but who Blo*dy well cares?

Coming out in a skirt is a statement that you are doing what you want, unconformistic. And is worth every second!!

Peter v.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Well I happen to know that at the university of Wallmalo (Australia) every man is Bruce (even guys with the name Michal) and the women are named Sheila, this is to reduce the amount of confusion.

So to Peter V, I say

HEAR HEAR, well spoken Bruce.

Now where is the fosters?
Departed Member

Pythos wrote: At at least all the men are wearing some form of upper body wear.
I couldn't agree more, Pythos! Well said! That's been a key aspect in relegating believable 'street skirt wear' to the beach, before it's been given a chance!