A wedding

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Language

Post by ChrisM »

Please note, the term "Fancy Dress" is not common in American English.

Most Americans will, I suspect, take this term to mean "formal", as Sasquatch did.

Should I understand that in British English the term means "costume party"?

Thanks,

Chris M.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Pythos wrote:I do see I made an error in the intro. I put friend instead of roommate.

If this part had copied over our initial fur ball would not have taken place.
So it is I who should apologize.

Also I have a British background, where the term fancy dress party, or wedding, or event, means costumes, or unusual dress. Formal means black tie and gowns.
Pythos,
Apology unnecessary; we're okay. Let me share in grieving the damage to your dress. You looked genuinely hot in it. I'm not bi, but if I had been drinking and saw you in it, well...

(Just kidding!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Let me phrase your response: "Uh, Sasq, I think its best we never meet...")

On the wedding subject, you asked:
Are people at a wedding supposed to be dully dressed except for the bride and groom?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes, sort of. You have to have a sense of what's appropriate, which I suspect you already possess. Weddings are all about the bride, and it's her day to be beautiful. (Some ladies relish it so much they keep doing it over and over!) The receptions are for the rest of us and the best ones have open bars and no accordions.

I take it, Pythos, that you are yet unmarried. Sooner or later, you'll need a wife. Once you have a wife, you never have to ask yourself "Am I dressed appropriately for this occasion?" Your wife will provide you the needed guidance on the matter. I've been married since God was a child, and I can hear my wife providing guidance even when she's not around. (Love prevails, nevertheless!) :)

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Fancy dress

Post by Since1982 »

Pythos wrote:Are people at a wedding supposed to be dully dressed except for the bride and groom?
In my 60+ years on the planet, living primarily in the USA and being from traditional christian American roots, IN my experience, yes, at every wedding I've ever attended as a guest it was a given that the bride and groom were to be the center of attention and the bride was the only person in the ceremony to be in "white" IF she deserved that. All the wedding guests were to be attired tastefully and looking great, but not quite as great as the bride and groom. I have no knowledge of how it is where Pythos lives so would not even attempt to say how it should or should not be.

In my life, the term "Fancy Dress" referred to only tuxedos for men and floor length gowns for women. Today, I'm quite sure it could mean lots of other things depending on what country you're in or what the particular group you are a part of believes it should be.

As long as the bride and groom are happy with what anyone at their wedding wears, then it's perfectly OK to shine brighter than anyone else or be the dullest looker in the room. Pythos' dress sounds like quite the outstanding garment. :):):)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Re: Language

Post by Milfmog »

ChrisM wrote:Please note, the term "Fancy Dress" is not common in American English.

Most Americans will, I suspect, take this term to mean "formal", as Sasquatch did.

Should I understand that in British English the term means "costume party"?

Thanks,

Chris M.
Yes Chris, that would be a pretty good assessment of the most common usage on the Eastern side of the big pond.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Fancy Dress Ball

Post by Since1982 »

Check with social registers in towns like Boston, New York, Atlantic City, "Fancy Dress Balls" or dances that require Tuxedos for men and "Ball Gowns" for women are a normal part of the life of the wealthy.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

If I were wealthy, I would have no one tell me what kind of attire I was "required" to wear. If I were invited to an event where a certain garment was "required", I would tell them to Sod off.

Now this of course excepts events where safety is a concern when it comes to ones attire.

When I go to a party or event, I do so, for enjoyment. I take none of that from being "required" to wear what someone else wants me to wear.

Just me.

Since I am not wealthy, I need to do as requested,...within reason.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fancy Dress Ball

Post by Peter v »

Since1982 wrote:Check with social registers in towns like Boston, New York, Atlantic City, "Fancy Dress Balls" or dances that require Tuxedos for men and "Ball Gowns" for women are a normal part of the life of the wealthy.
I would expect that if a wealthy and well known celebrity came in a tuxedo skirt combi he would be accepted. :shock: :? 8) :roll:

Peter v.

Can somebody inform at some event places as to attire regulations? Then we may get a better picture as to the real situation.

I assume that requiring a tuxedo, really means that men should all be well attired, the tuxedo being a top standard suit that is pretty much the same anywhere. That gives the assurance that all attending will be well dressed. So if you wear a very neat dress, or skirt / tuxedo quality top combi you should be accepted also. I doubt whether it was actually meant when the rules were first made, that everybody actually had to wear a tuxedo. Possibly at that time, there were no other equally neat clothing combinations, where there was no discussion at the entrance about suitability. So thinking along those lines, it is probably outdated and DISCRIMINATIVE now.

Who'll investigate?

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Old Wealth

Post by Since1982 »

Unfortunately in the United States, unless it's a rock star, the "old" wealth would not be accepting of any combo of tuxedo and skirt for a man. Maybe in a 100 years. A Transvestite is more accepted "IF he had tons of old money" than anything new like a skirt wearing man. You have to remember, in the USA, school age children of old money or wealthy people, that's from 6 to 18, thru high school, nearly all wear school uniforms and go to private schools. The "skirt wearing man" I referred to is not or ever a kilt wearing man. Kilts are accepted. Or a rich man from a country that has a national dress like a Sulu or Sarong or Robe. 8)

Old money/wealth is like family money made in the 1800's, early 1900's or brought from Europe. Like Roosevelts, Vanderbilts, Kennedys. Even though Kennedy made his illegally in the early 1900's booze business, today, after having a president for a son and senators, his family's considered old money. :roll:

Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

I do think that it is time to shake things up a bit, like at the grammy awards, when I suppose tuxedo's are asked, to have some prominents seriously wearing skirts. Well made tux / skirt combi's or other derivants. That is surely the way to get positive attention above the other clones there. Of course it would have to be men who are man enough to do that and more importantly who do appreciate the pleasure of wearing other than standard men's attire. It is no good having it be only a stunt. There must be celeb's out there who also would love to wear skirts.....but are they man enough to tell the world?

Dream on, I think, but you can always hope. :roll: :wink: :) :D :D

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
DavidsSkirts

Re: Fancy Dress Ball

Post by DavidsSkirts »

Since1982 wrote:Check with social registers in towns like Boston, New York, Atlantic City, "Fancy Dress Balls" or dances that require Tuxedos for men and "Ball Gowns" for women are a normal part of the life of the wealthy.
Down here in Oz', those types of events would be called 'Formal' or 'Black and White'...

'Fancy Dress' here would have the same meaning as in the UK - a 'costume party' style event..

So if guests were invited in 'Fancy Dress', they would be expected to dress up or down - but not to what is normally expected for such an occasion.
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.