Everyday Skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Everyday Skirts

Post by sapphire »

I have a bunch of what I call "Everyday Skirts" They are gored skirts, heavy cotton jersey and wear like iron. The ones I have have side pockets and come to mid calf on me. I'm 5 feet 6 inches in the vertical dimension.

My skirts were manufactured by Lands End and seem to have fallen off the end of the land, until now. But, AHA! I just saw them listed on the Land's End website. They seem to be popular because the number of colors remaining is dwindling.

Just a head's up for a very comfortable, well made, long wearing, practical skirt.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Everyday Skirts

Post by Peter v »

sapphire wrote:I have a bunch of what I call "Everyday Skirts" They are gored skirts, heavy cotton jersey and wear like iron. The ones I have have side pockets and come to mid calf on me. I'm 5 feet 6 inches in the vertical dimension.

My skirts were manufactured by Lands End and seem to have fallen off the end of the land, until now. But, AHA! I just saw them listed on the Land's End website. They seem to be popular because the number of colors remaining is dwindling.

Just a head's up for a very comfortable, well made, long wearing, practical skirt.
sounds interesting, can you give the website?
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

The general website is
http://www.landsend.com

Right now I'm on a laptop that won't render the pages properly. Click on the link for Women's (top menu bar, second link from the left)

A page will come up and there will be a link on a left hand side menu for skirts and dresses.

Browse through the skirts, there are some nice candidates in there. The skirt I'm referring to is called "Women's Modern Knit Skirt". It is on the top row, to the right. I also like the long skirt to the left of it.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Yes, they have changed it. Mine have pockets and are longer than what is shown.

The new length isn't a problem for me. I may just order one and report back when it arrives.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I wear kaftan style dresses day in day out all custom made
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Looks nice. Might have to get one...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I think I'll give this one a pass.

Unfortunately, even when Lands' End has a few items that I find somewhat "interesting," there's always a problem. The most interesting skirts that they show on-line don't come in plus sizes -- the "soft pleated" one and the "uniform" skirts. This one does come in plus, but it has an elastic waist, and a simple elastic waist won't stay up on me, and they don't mention whether it has pockets; I assume that means it doesn't.

They also don't give skirt lengths, let alone hem circumferences (you can get them over the phone if you have 10-20 minutes to spare.) This is an issue for me because most of their skirts are clearly much tighter than I like. My criterion is: can I put one foot up on top of my dresser (with the other on the floor) without the skirt restricting me? I'm not sure any of their skirts would pass the test.

Finally, they don't have bright colors, except for kids' stuff. When it comes to drab clothing for men and women, Lands' End is a leader. :(
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

sapphire wrote:The general website is
http://www.landsend.com

Right now I'm on a laptop that won't render the pages properly. Click on the link for Women's (top menu bar, second link from the left)

A page will come up and there will be a link on a left hand side menu for skirts and dresses.

Browse through the skirts, there are some nice candidates in there. The skirt I'm referring to is called "Women's Modern Knit Skirt". It is on the top row, to the right. I also like the long skirt to the left of it.
Thanks, Sapphire, the skirts are quit nice, more "moderate" skirts. And as stated further down, are a little drab, but we don't always have to wear coloured skirts although it is nice to. By the way, I have a pair of boots very much the same as : Women's Medium Width Midcalf Riding Boots.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I agree. At that fabric sale I emntion a couple of weeks ago, I got some lovely purple and bright blue fabric to try to copy the skirt in questions.

Unfortunately, as usual, I'm once again working on a dozen projects at the same time.

sigh.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

http://www.denimskirts.com/lodeskta.html

The above URL is a link to a wonderful site that contains long denim skirts.

Some of the skirts are as long as 44 inches, and they are sized by waist size in inches - much like a pair of jeans.

I have ordered from the site, the service is promp the quality is exceptional. They are great "every day" skirts.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

They look good, I have never seen them that long in the UK, maybe not looking in the right place