CitySkirt Passport

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

CitySkirt Passport

Post by JRMILLER »

Guys,
Heard about cityskirt and would like to see what they have to offer. Appears you can't get in unless someone invites you in. Does anyone here belong and would you be willing to invite me in?

Thanks,
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Jerry Young

Cityskirt

Post by Jerry Young »

Hey, JR

I have been trying to get a cityskirt sponsor to send me an invitation so I can shop on cityskirt's website. If you or anybody else has one, please send it to my email at jwyoungjerry@yahoo.com
I would appreciate that very much, thank you!
Jerry W. Young
CJFMix

Post by CJFMix »

Have you seen their skirts ???

http://cityskirt.com/CSFrames.html

I think their skirts are ugly !!!
Why are'nt they using REAL models ???
Their skirts are way too expensive ...

.....................................................................................................

Have you ever tried used clothing stores ???
Here , in Montreal , we have what we called "friperies" ...
They resell used clothes , in great condition , clean , and sometimes , you're able to find this year's stuff ...
Their variety is incredible , usally , in a half hour , I walk out with 4 skirts everytime !!!
But the most important , is the price : they range from $3.99 to $24.99 !!!

At those prices , and the variety of choices , I have been shopping there for over 23 years !!!
Last edited by CJFMix on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

CJFMix

Post by Since1982 »

Didn't you notice where it said, "reopening in August 2007"? Obviously this is an old link. What we are trying to get is the new, "since August 2007" link. As far as their skirts being ugly is concerned, perhaps to someone that likes frilly fem skirts, Dan's skirts ARE ugly, masculine too...Personally, I see nothing ugly about his skirts. At least he's a manufacturer out there MAKING skirts for men! Hiring live models is very expensive. Hence the manniquins. Perhaps you should try competing with him before you start bad-mouthing him and his products. :x
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Yes, you're right, CJFMIX, use real people, not shop models.

The skirts are very plain, but at least they seem to have long functional front zippers. Just nice basic skirts. And price wise, wel compared to the prices over here, not too bad, especially because they are exclusive.

There are very many men who want to wear skirts, but daren't wear anything else than skirts reminicent of their drab pants collection. That's their choice. Also there are men who just like :roll: :wink: the assorti.

I think they are very drab and plain. I like skirts with more life in them. and don't say that is not manly. There is nothing manly about any skirt or pants, or womanly either, they are just gaments to be worn. But you can show your emotions with different soorts of clothing. The skirts shown show very little emotion. Which is of no consequence if you just want something hanging from your waist. That's OK.

peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Departed Member

Re: CJFMix

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote: At least he's a manufacturer out there MAKING skirts for men!
Unfortunately, the Price ain't Right! It's the same with Kilts. You've got to be extremely committed to pay such a high price for a garment 'off the peg'. And that's not going to convince Joe Public to even consider a skirt as a clothing option. All credit to those folk trying to market such items, but I'm afraid presentation, in this day and age particularly, really is vital. It would surely have been worth making the effort (and even expense?) to 'do the job properly'. Why not model 'em, himself - or one of his workforce? "Could do better" would be the entry on his 'school report', I feel....... :(
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think their skirts are ugly !!!
That's one opinion, and the whole problem with "fashion" is that it's based on opinion rather than something more quantifiable. Note that I mean no offence in this; I also found CitySkirt's designs unappealing, but for different reasons.
Why are'nt they using REAL models ???
Their skirts are way to expensive ...
Actually, DanR went to some lengths in this very forum to explain the dynamics of running such a boutique fashion-based business -- and they're not pretty. Put bluntly, it's not something that any rational person might want to take on unless they were either (a) phenomenally committed, (b) a masochist, or (c) certifiably insane. Personally, I came away from reading Dan's posts with a real respect for his sense of guts and fortitude, even if his aesthetic didn't match mine.

His posts are likely still available as search objects.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Sweatshops

Post by Since1982 »

merlin wrote:Unfortunately, the Price ain't Right! It's the same with Kilts. You've got to be extremely committed to pay such a high price for a garment 'off the peg'
I don't think there are ANY manufacturers of men's kilts or skirts that can compete with womens clothes made in bulk in sweatshops in Taiwan or China, or even as close as sweatshops in Mexico.

However, women DO pay very high prices for garments with fancy fashion designer names on them. Far more than $500.00 for a custom made kilt or skirt for a man. Any custom made garments are going to cost a lot. But lets not buy them, keep promoting sweatshop labor for homeless and poor people. In some areas of Mexico, people work sewing garments for as little as $.50 cents a day. I'm sure the promoters of those garments can sell them far more cheaply than DanR or ScottishKilts.com. :oops:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Re: Sweatshops

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote: I don't think there are ANY manufacturers of men's kilts or skirts that can compete with womens clothes made in bulk in sweatshops in Taiwan or China, or even as close as sweatshops in Mexico.
Much the same problem here! My wife used to work in the trade manufacturing clothing. Her factory closed, because M&S wanted their goods manufactured more cheaply. The equipment was first moved to a factory in Portugal where all costs, wages, rates, etc. were much lower. A year later, everything was moved again, this time to Morocco. Don't get carried away with the 'sweatshop' myth, though. A number of former UK employees spent time (in both countries) training folk to use their former machines (well, it was money coming in, and a 'holiday' to boot!). They said their working conditions were, if anything, superior to those they had worked under in the UK. Blame governments, if you will, for losing jobs in this way.
Since1982 wrote: However, women DO pay very high prices for garments with fancy fashion designer names on them. Far more than $500.00 for a custom made kilt or skirt for a man. Any custom made garments are going to cost a lot. But lets not buy them, keep promoting sweatshop labor for homeless and poor people. In some areas of Mexico, people work sewing garments for as little as $.50 cents a day. I'm sure the promoters of those garments can sell them far more cheaply than DanR or ScottishKilts.com.
Folk (blokes, that is) will only pay what they feel they can afford, regardless of source, I'm afraid. But no, I wouldn't buy any of the Cityskirts illustrated because, for one, I don't find them particularly appealing and, for two, add transport/tax costs to the UK (what if they don't fit?) and they're definitely 'out of the frame'!