Clothing as an Outward Expression

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

OK,
At the risk of upsetting the entire group, let's play with this concept a bit.

As I was driving down the highway (that's when I think I do my best thinking), it occurred to me that clothing is an "outward expression of my inner being." That is, the sum of what I think I am at any one moment is expressed outwardly in how I choose to dress.

To make this theory work, we must have a collective "opinion" or agreement about the meaning of specific articles of clothing. For instance, dark suit with pin stripes and red tie means business and an attempt to appear powerful in the business realm. A sleek red dress with lots of reveal might mean another kind of business and ready for action.

Thus, I have been thinking about what denim jeans represent and I get freedom of movement, casual, rough and tumble and masculine. If this is the generally accepted view of denim jeans, then women who wear them may be expressing inner feelings of masculinity. However, I have to admit in the case of jeans, they have been worn by women for several decades now and the masculine aspect of them may no longer be valid. Women have been very successful in making them "their own".

What of skirts? I think that among the general public a skirt means pretty, soft and feminine. Thus, when we are wearing our skirts, are we expressing our soft and feminine side?

In time, if men are successful at making skirts "our own", the feminine part of the symbol will also fade away just as the masculine symbol has washed away for women wearing jeans. However, this will take time, perhaps decades.

What do you think?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

YesI

Post by ChrisM »

I like the thesis - that clothing is an outward expression... etc.

Let me add two extensions:

1: Clothing is not ONLY an outward expression of self, there is also certainly a subjective feeling. Thus, while I may agree with your definition of denim, I have never in my adulthood worn blue jeans because I don't like their feel. They are stiff and heavy, to me. Thus my, if you will, 'lexicon' of 'outward expression' is limited by my unwillingness to use certain items. Or by simple my preference for other items, just as my written language is limited by my unwillingness to use profanity or my preference for sesquipedal words.

And that leads me to item #2:

2: We may not be speaking a common language. Either by choice or by accident, or by culture, or whatever, the 'meaning' of our varying outward expressions may not be uniformly understood. THus I may be attempting to transmit "I feel relaxed and soft / cuddly today" my interlocutor may actually RECEIVE the message as "I am homosexual."

Is his lack of vocabulary my problem? Must I restrict my haberdashery statements to a lingua franca that is practically pidgin in it's simplicity? This is, indeed, what most men do. Their 'vocabulary' consists of something like "I am formal." "I am performing manual labor." "I am now in a relaxed mode." (Suit / Jeans / Old T-shirt, respectively.)

So, bottom line of this message: Nice thesis - clothing as language. Just recall that (a) clothing is also for warmth and comfort, and (b) we may not all 'speak' the same language.

Thanks!

Chris
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I think this thesis has merit. I also think that it will be complicated to get to a common agreement.

I'll just offer my own experiences in clothing as expression. We all take on different roles in our lives. If I am cleaning, scrubbing the floor, cleaning litterboxes, gardening, apintint the porch, etc, I dress for comfort and protection in clothes that I feel OK getting dirty/soiled.

When I went to the Gala opening of the college's new library, I wore a gold evening gown and appropriate make up.

When I went to lunch with the college trustees, board of higher education meeting, trustee meeting or to any other community event where I was represented as a trustee, I wore classic skirted business suits. I usually followed the lead of the college President, a woman.

While I was teaching, I generally wore trousers, but in an outfit that was clearly more refined than what the student wore.

There was one time when I was a student where I wore a classic skirted business suit to class because I had a meeting with the president afterwards. It confused everyone. Clearly I was better dressed than the students, but I was also better dressed than the professor.

This past halloween I felt like dressing up outrageously sexy. Carl has expressed his opinion of the result in another post.

Then there was the time that I attended the annual meeting of the Cat Fanciers Association. I felt in general that most of the delgates were too pompous and overly fond of themselves. So I decided to dress as a caricature of them. I had long gown with a sheer overlay, streaked my hair in multiple colors, added hairpieces in multiple colors that never occurred naturally on a human, a tiara,, full makeup with temporary body art. I also did a French manicure and pedicure with rhinestones and sparkle overcoat.

TO my utter consternation, the costume was a hit, and everyone (males included) wanted me to do their nails!

Then there was an unpleasant experience. Carl had given me a lovely, sexy dress for my birthday and I got all made up and pretty for when we went out to dinner. There was an old drunk man who figured that anyone looking that good just had to be a hooker and just wouldn't stop pestering me, even when I explained that I was out with my husband. I really wanted to poke a fork in his eye. His unwanted attention really ruined the occassion.

Nowadays, as a disabled pereson, I don't really have anywhere to go other than the store, I just dress comfortably, albeit somewhat sloppy.

With regards to makeup, I seldom wear it. I wear both contact lenses and glasses. In order to apply eye makeup, I can not wear either the contacts or glasses and usually poke myself in the eye. ALso, if any of the makeup flakes off and gets in my eyes, my eyes tear up, the makeup runs and the result is an Alice Cooper look alike.

So, yes we dress for our occassions and also for how we feel at the moment. I'd like to hear of your experiences and how you choose which garments for what occassions. Maybe we can start to develop a common form of expression from our shared experiences
Departed Member

Re: Clothing as an Outward Expression

Post by Departed Member »

JRMILLER wrote: OK, At the risk of upsetting the entire group, let's play with this concept a bit.
I don't think you'll upset anybody, but you might dig up a much wider spread of opinion, than you bargain for! :)
JRMILLER wrote: ... it occurred to me that clothing is an "outward expression of my inner being." That is, the sum of what I think I am at any one moment is expressed outwardly in how I choose to dress.
Not something I can identify with, to be honest. Clothes are just - clothes. Practicality (for the job in hand) and comfort are my only criteria.
JRMILLER wrote: Thus, I have been thinking about what denim jeans represent and I get freedom of movement, casual, rough and tumble and masculine. ..... Women have been very successful in making them "their own".
To me, outside of the 'heavy' workplace, I ascribe only one adjective to jeans - boring! My first impression tends to be that the wearer is likely to be: insecure, unimaginative, and also (probably) boring, themselves. :( Obviously, that is not always the case! It's not just the dull uniformity that puts me off, but the two pair I had (40+ years ago!) were extremely uncomfortable, at best described as 'wearing stiff cardboard with a lining of emery paper'! :evil:
JRMILLER wrote: What of skirts? I think that among the general public a skirt means pretty, soft and feminine. Thus, when we are wearing our skirts, are we expressing our soft and feminine side? What do you think?
I don't really see this. It all depends on the exact nature of the skirt, surely? Not all skirts can be described in such way. Outside of party outfit or wedding, then most women's skirts are just sensible, everyday, practical garments. Other than 'much more comfortable', I'm not aware of feeling (or acting) in a different manner. Having said that, my wife's best friend (who fully supports the concept), says I'm much more relaxed, but we are both aware that is purely down to the increasing discomfort (and physical pain) of 'enforced' tr*user-wearing.

Well done, bringing this topic up, by the way! It always helps to know how others come about their views. :)
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Thus, when we are wearing our skirts, are we expressing our soft and feminine side?
Not me. I don't have a "masculine" side and a "feminine" side. I'm not a schizophrenic (I spelt it . . I spelt it! I spelt it Mum!). I'm just me. So when I wear a skirt I am just expressing my whole self - exactly the same as when I am wearing jeans or anything else.

For me the clothes I wear do express a lot about myself. They are a visible "guide" to aspects of my character, my ideals, my lifestyle - and my mood.

In this respect when I am wearing a skirt I am probably expressing a couple of things. Firstly - that I think of myself as a rebel - in the sense that I will not allow myself to be constrained by 'convention'. Secondly, that I have a set of ideals which include that of fashion equality for men and women. And thirdly, that I am in a good mood - as I only wear a skirt when I am feeling happy. (This is not a conscious decision - it just always works out like that).
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Clothing is indeed an outward expression, but the reasons behind the same clothing can vary enormously each time worn.

If the wearer has had time to know what his preferances are, and buy accordingly, an experienced wearer, thus, then he probably can wear accordingly to his mood.

If the wearer has a small budget and can for now only afford a skirt or two, then there is not much to say for his mood when wearing.

I find that when I wear anything that is either better quality, more expensive, flimsy, vulnerable, it keeps me, prevents me, from doing odd jobs, etc.

So if I am contemplating doing a job, let us say around the house, I would wear a simple denim skirt. Which will not say that I will actually do anything. I would be in the "I am ready for a job" mode, something like wearing a t shirt and an old pair of jeans pants.

When there are no demanding activities expected, casual skirts, can be worn, which are less practical, but let you express yourself more.

Weather also is a factor. Obviously cold weather demands other skirts than in warm weather.

With every skirt we wear, we are expressing ourselves, but it is only when other people know us intimately, that THEY can justly assume our mood, what we actually are expressing by wearing it.

As we have so many moods, and can express ourselves in so many different ways, the only way we can show that with skirts, AND not forgetting fitting clothing to make the picture compleet, is to have a garderobe as large, or larger than that of your wife. :roll: :wink:

As there are so many soorts of skirts (for the freestylers) and options of suitable clothing combinations, including shoes, that it then comes down to financial restrictions. If you have only a Utility kilt you express your self, but that's it, the same every time worn. Summer or winter.

That's what I just love with other skirts, even if you feel the same every day, you could depending on how many skirts you have, wear a different skirt every day of the week. Just to not have the same skirt on two days in a row. Of course you can wear the same skirt seven consecutive days, and just wear different socks, tights, upper clothing. And again, that is what I like in being a Freestyler, there is so much choice, ( if you buy it of course) that it never bores you.

You will always be the only one who really knows what expression you are acting out, with the clothes you're wearing, but that's part of the fun, you're little secret.

So, I hope I got it right, please comment.
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

ChristopherJ wrote:
Thus, when we are wearing our skirts, are we expressing our soft and feminine side?
Not me. I don't have a "masculine" side and a "feminine" side. I'm not a schizophrenic (I spelt it . . I spelt it! I spelt it Mum!). I'm just me. So when I wear a skirt I am just expressing my whole self - exactly the same as when I am wearing jeans or anything else.
I agree with this, mostly. The only thing I would say differently is that when I'm trousered, I'm almost always expressing less than my whole self. These days, I feel like I'm putting on my armor or straightjacket when I put on my trousers. (Jeans are the worst!) And when I get home from work and take off the trousers and all and put on a skirt, I imagine it's a little like when Victorian women would come home and loosen their corsets.

One thing I've noticed since I've started wearing skirts is that I've become more aware of my body. When I wear a skirt, I'm aware of the feeling of the skirt sliding over my legs and -- well, the rest of my lower body. I'm very aware of being exposed from below. When I look in the mirror, I actually look at myself, instead of only looking at a little piece. And I'm much more aware of my sexual feelings. (Since I"m "unattached" at the moment, this is not always a plus!)

DIGRESSION & RANT

I have to admit, it gets my back up a little when people talk about a "masculine" vs. "feminine" side. When I was a kid, I always resented being shoe-horned into a masculine role -- "what boys do" vs. "what boys don't do." I always resented that the girls could do stuff that I couldn't (I didn't realize at the time that the girls' role was at least as restricted and uncomfortable as mine, just in a different way), and that I had to put up with all sorts of tortures and humiliations that were considered essential parts of being a boy, or else be outcast as a "sissy" and thus fair game for sadists of all ages. Why does playing the piano or cuddling a kitten (or a baby) have to be called "feminine" = "girls' stuff,' and reroofing a house or understanding proofs in geometry have to be called "masculine" = "boys-only stuff"? And why does showing an interest in or even looking at "girls' stuff" have to "give you cooties"? (Or was it that it would turn you into a girl? I forget.)

(The traumas of childhood....)
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

AMM,
This is an important post, one that I need to think about for a while. I'll try to have a response tomorrow
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

An interesting topic indeed. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the clothing I wear displays anything in the way of the expression of my personality, what little of one I happen to have, I simply wear clothes that I like and look good on me, nothing more or less. I don't feel any different regardless of if I'm wearing a denim skirt, a black leather miniskirt (yes, I have one) or a short, clingy knit skirt, I'm simply me, for better or worse. Hopefully that made sense to everyone here.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JeffB1959 wrote: I simply wear clothes that I like and look good on me, nothing more or less. I don't feel any different regardless of if I'm wearing a denim skirt, a black leather miniskirt (yes, I have one) or a short, clingy knit skirt, I'm simply me, for better or worse. Hopefully that made sense to everyone here.
Couldn't agree more Jeff. At the end of the day I also think I'm just me, someone who wants to feel comfortable wearing whatever I want, that in my opinion, looks reasonable. I'm also very pleased to have a supporting wife who is more than happy with me in a skirt or kilt.

Bryan
Travel, transport and photography
crfriend
Master Barista

Inner feeleings?

Post by crfriend »

I can't really say that other than on a gross scale my attire really reflects my inner mental status. Sure, if I'm feeling "down" or otherwise depressed I'm much less likely to expend the effort to put on a skirted garment, even though I find them more comfortable than trousers; it's like I can't spare the energy. Other than that, what I wear is primarily down to whim unless there are restrictions imposed by activity or modesty.

I have several variations of skirts that I wear, and I assemble "looks" from those in slightly different manners, but I am not aware of any projection of overt "meaning" when I put something together. I'm happy if what I manage to cobble together looks good and, more importantly, looks believeable in a male context. Interestingly, I find that I need to pay more attention to how I look than when I'm in trousers. Trousers don't occupy a large portion of one's overall silhouette the way that skirts do -- and that's one thing I like about skirts; they provide a larger tableau for creativity than trousers. This is why prints really only work on skirts; there's no room for a print to show on trousers!

Like AMM, I enjoy coming home from work and chucking the trousers for a skirt; it's a reminder that my time is now my own, and I'm not answering to anybody else (other than Sapphire, the cats, the computers, and my stomach). It's just a very nice way to wind down the day -- and all that happens is a simple swap of the lower part of my day's outfit.

I'll "crank it up a notch or two" if going out at the weekend, and this is when the real experimentation happens (I'm usually too tired during the week). This is when I'll fiddle with various accessories and try to get a really "polished" look rather than a "business casual" look. Actually, other than when I'm doing really filthy work, my normal look is usually a notch above "business casual", so that's where my skirted looks fall; I see no reason to change my basic aesthetic. Actually, it can be kind of fun to work out precisely what look I want, right down to watch-chain and necktie and to try to get it all to "work" and not look like a parody of something I'm not. One thing I'd like to get at some point would be a full-length mirror so I can get an accurate check of how things look; however, my physical size and the geometry of the house are involved in a conspiracy on that count and there's nowhere that I could put one.

As far as the physical sensations of wearing a skirt go, I'll concur with AMM that it's very different than wearing trousers. I don't get the notion of "being exposed from below" (unless I'm wearing a mini, and then it's so "in your face" that the feeling is impossible to miss or ignore) because most of my skirts are fairly long, but the feel of the flow of a skirt is vastly more pleasureable than the rubbing of trousers, and the fact that one can "play with a skirt" in ways that one just can't with trousers (e.g. swinging the hem 'round to tease a cat) is another big plus.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Point

Post by JRMILLER »

Thanks for your comments guys, got a full range --

When I first put on a skirt it was like, wow, I have finally arrived! The feeling was pure joy and I am really scratching my head trying to figure out where that is coming from. Like most guys, I have done a fairly decent job of covering up and eliminating any feminine tendencies that I have exhibited over the years. Society does a pretty good job of reminding us to stay in our boxes. Thus, after so many years of conditioning, it's difficult to admit my interest in skirt wearing "might" be coming from my repressed side.

That's why the post, I am trying to out smart my subconscious, clearly some deep part of me truly enjoys the skirt wearing expression. I am just wondering why or how is this possible?

Yes, I know that men wear skirts in other parts of the world, so please don't remind me that it's perfectly alright cause I already believe that. I was raised in western culture where the skirt makes a powerful statement.

Thus, I am left with the paradox, an otherwise normal male raised in western culture actually likes to wear skirts.

Surely some of you have already dealt with this paradox?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Hi JR,
For me, I tend to consider things objectively, often coldly, and tend to let my observations determine my thought patterns, very male in that sense. In studying myself and the way different garments look on me it is clear to me that I look infinitely better in a skirted garment below the waist. This assumes that one can cast aside the inherited cultural baggage and sexual angst that burdens us in the West and see things for what they are and not what we presume they are.

So I KNOW I look better in a skirt than trousers, this discovery (along with other events) really launched my adventure into skirts. So, yes, there is a bit of a romantic in me who enjoys the feel of a skirt and all that, but there is a larger rational me who knows from objective study that my figure is enhanced by a skirt far more than by traditional male trousers. This objective side is what tipped me towards making it public - if I think I look better, then perhaps others will see me the same way?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

BrotherTailor wrote:Hi JR,
....In studying myself and the way different garments look on me it is clear to me that I look infinitely better in a skirted garment below the waist. ....?
I have to say that not only do I prefer myself wearing a skirt for looks, I also think women look far better in a skirt than trousers, as it appears to be a more natural form of garment to both sexes.

Bryan
Travel, transport and photography