I might dress Like A Hippy But I'm From Being So

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

I might dress Like A Hippy But I'm From Being So

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I’m surprised that because I’ve long hair, a beard, wear sandals & a robe nobody has suggested I’m Jesus. But people do refer to me as hippy which makes me chuckle sure I like a toke & I oppose the war in Iraq but I’m pro gun rights & pro capitalist.

Seems people will always unfortunately judge by appearances which is why even with being very hairy there are still jerks who still reckon I’m some weird tranny.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

the Jesus look
I should watch out, look what they did to him and he was the good guy
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

RichardA wrote:
the Jesus look
Don't believe everything you read in books! :?

It does rather bring up an interesting point. Do (m)any of the folk here specifically grow beards in an attempt to say, "Yes, I'm wearing a skirt, but look, I'm all 'man' 'cos I've got a beard!"? I've certainly known blokes who wear a Kilt purely for "The Big Occasion" (and there's no reason why they shouldn't! :wink: ) believe that it is as much part of the 'uniform/costume' to sport a beard, as to wear flashes, sporran, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Do (m)any of the folk here specifically grow beards in an attempt to say, "Yes, I'm wearing a skirt, but look, I'm all 'man' 'cos I've got a beard!"?
In my case, no. I've always sported a mustache, and I've had beards on and off over the years, but more frequently "on" than not, and it has precisely nothing to do with my skirt wearing. I had a beard when I started wearing skirts in public, but that was likely more of an accident than anything else, and an artefact that I simply haven't shaved it off. Of course with winter rapidly approaching, I'm not likely to shave it off any time soon.

For what it's worth as well, I also have very long (what's known as "terminal length") hair that reaches my waist -- and I am never, even from behind, worried about people being confused regarding my gender.
I've certainly known blokes who wear a Kilt purely for "The Big Occasion" (and there's no reason why they shouldn't! :wink: ) believe that it is as much part of the 'uniform/costume' to sport a beard, as to wear flashes, sporran, etc.
Why not, indeed! In fact it should be encouraged!

Out of curiosity, what's the incidence of beards in Scotland (and the rest of the kilt's "home turf")? Specifically, what's the incidence of beards on Scots (or otherwise on said "home turf") who wear kilts? Does a high incidence count as a "rule"? Where does this leave Scots that wear kilts but who do not sport beards or other facial hair?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Aww, Carl.....

You left out the juicy part

You've never been mistaken for Jesus, only for Osama bin Laden <wink>
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Hippy and beards

Post by Peter v »

I was a beard wearer most of my life, but now that I wear skirts, in freestyle, I don't think it looks particularly good. But if you do have a beard, I would think choosing your clothing goes hand in hand with it looking right with a beard.

I would think that most of us, the "more mature ones" wouldn't have that much hair on their heads or it is thinning out rapidly, so that the Jesus look would be only with a few lucky guys.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
crfriend
Master Barista

Facial fur.

Post by crfriend »

Peter v wrote:I was a beard wearer most of my life, but now that I wear skirts, in freestyle, I don't think it looks particularly good. But if you do have a beard, I would think choosing your clothing goes hand in hand with it looking right with a beard.
That's part of making the whole picture work. Beards (and facial hair in general) are part and parcel of being male; there's no reason to shy away from that when donning a skirted garment because it's who (or at the very least, what) you are and that cannot be denied. Actually, fully expanding the thought, there's no reason why facial hair should necessarily be considered in the overall scheme of things unless it's a critical element of the style that someone's going after.
I would think that most of us, the "more mature ones" wouldn't have that much hair on their heads or it is thinning out rapidly, so that the Jesus look would be only with a few lucky guys.
I may be an exception, but I'm inching my way towards fifty and still sport a pretty good head of hair -- and it's long. I guess I got it from my mom's side; my dad was bald by the time he was thirty and my grand-dad by the time he was twenty. I'm not about to chop it off, either.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
CJFMix

Post by CJFMix »

The fact I have a beard has nothing to do with my skirt wearing ...

I have been wearing skirts in public for 33 years , and now , it's been 10 years with a beard ... Only because , I got tired about shaving every second day !!!

It grows up to 1cm. , then , once a month , I trim it down to 3mm. ...

I have to admit , that I have adapted my style of clothing since I wear a beard ...
I now pick "sobre" garments , not as femenine as I used to ...

And you know what , not that I cared , but before , I was looked at as a "loony weirdo" or "some kind of freak" , (I guess , I was) , and many doors got shutted !!!
But after a clothing style adaptation , I am now looked at , as "just a guy wearing a skirt" !!!
And now , the doors stay open , and I'm welcome everywhere !!!
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I am not hirsute enough for a good "western" beard, so can't do the Jesus or even ye Osama look and, as I get older and greyer, if not trimmed, I tend to have a faint resemblance to Ho Chi Minh :roll:
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

merlin wrote:
RichardA wrote:
the Jesus look
Don't believe everything you read in books! :?
I believe Jesus existed but I don't believe he was the son of God because God doesn't exist
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Whoooo boy! I won't get into an argument on the existence or not of "God". The concept of God promulgated by the Abrahamic religions Judaeism, Christianity and Islam) is, in my view, totally wrong. Yes, that God doesn't exist.

While Yeshua ben Yusef said he was the son of man, he NEVER claimed an exclusive sonship of God. The O.T. Jewish deity was, in human terms, a thin skinned, insecure psychopath who would be immediately placed in care and on medication. This fearful deity is still in the other two religions with the unwritten philosophy of a God who loves us- Just as long as we obey! But--we can always run to daddy Jesus or Mother Mary who can smooth things over. A load of holy Taurus Excrementum!!! However, we are all children of God as are all things. I know I can be accused of the "heresy" of panentheism but, I truly believe that God, as the ground of all being, indwells all things and is the glue that holds it all together. This is a god who has endowed us with spiritual powers that the religions wish to suppress and deny. We have it in our power to heal or hurt, to see well outside the three dimensions of space/time and, through actual experiential knowlege, know there is a life after death.

I could go on but I have gone far enough. I don't want to upset anyone else's apple cart but, give me my hobby horse and I'll ride it!
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Sarongman wrote:Whoooo boy! I won't get into an argument on the existence or not of "God".
Well being as I'm an atheist shouldn't be any surprise I take the view God doesn't exist