I feel like ...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
CJFMix

I feel like ...

Post by CJFMix »

I'm the only one in my part of town , who wears a skirt in public !!!

I used to wear skirts in public on some occasions , but for the last month , I go out wearing a skirt almost everyday , having in mind , to make the phenomena visible , hoping to encourage others to do it !!!

How many men are potentielly able to wear a skirt in public ???
How can we statisticly evaluate ???

Are we 1 man out of 100 , 1 on 1000 ???
Still , at 1 out of 1000 , we'd be seeing 1 everyday ...

But such is not the case , the last time I saw one , was 2 years ago !!!

I dare you , Sirs , to take your skirt wearing in public !!!
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: I feel like ...

Post by crfriend »

I'm the only one in my part of town , who wears a skirt in public !!!
I hate to sound pessimistic, but that may be the case. We're quite a long way off from achieving "critical mass", those of that wear skirts as everyday garb, but that's not a reason to abandon hope.

Quite likely, if everybody was to be perfectly honest, probably closer to one in ten (assuming perfect honesty). However, the reality seems to speak to the guys who actually have the balls to wear skirts in public, and that's maybe (being charitable) in the one in 10,000 realm -- rarer than the proverbial hens' teeth if you'd like to put it that way.
But such is not the case , the last time I saw one , was 2 years ago !!!
Blimey! 'Twas that recent? The last time I saw a bloke in a skirt out and about in public was on the Boston (MA/USA) MBTA in the late 1980s! If it wasn't for Tom's (and later on Skirt) Cafe I'd still believe myself to be a horrible aberration in the fashion sense. It makes me quite sad, actually, that something so innocent as what we decide to clad ourselves in can (and does) carry connotations that we neither intend nor espouse.
I dare you , Sirs , to take your skirt wearing in public !!!
I'm with you, brother! I'm out there most every day -- even if I sometimes feel very ,very, alone.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

3rd Outing in 3 days

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi,
I am in the Naples FL area right now, will be back home end of the week. I have been out with my denim skirt for the last 3 days running. Today it was dinner at Macaroni's, a Italian Restaurant.

I have been looking at kilts and decided this denim skirt looks more like a kilt than shorts, it's has several pleats similar to a kilt, but is a little longer. Thinking about hemming it and adding pockets. I really miss the pockets!

-john
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

crfriend wrote: The last time I saw a bloke in a skirt out and about in public was on the Boston (MA/USA) MBTA in the late 1980s!
My first marriage went south in 2000 and I moved from my house in West Roxbury to an apartment in Jamaica Plain (folks from New England will get the references - the rest of you can just say that I moved from a middle class, conservative part of town to a more edgy neighborhood). For most of the next year I made a very, conscious effort to be as honest to myself as I could in my choice of clothing and other gender symbols, and so I spent a lot of time wandering around my neighborhood in skirts. The first time was terrifying, the second time I was nervous, by the tenth or eleventh time I hardly noticed (and, by the way, not a whole lot of other people noticed either).

So, crfriend, if it was the late 1980s, it was before my coming out, but if you spent time in Jamaica Plain, Cleveland Circle, Kenmore Square, Harvard Square, or Coolidge Corner in 2000-2001 (before I moved to Philly), we might have bumped into each other.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

[...] if it was the late 1980s, it was before my coming out, but if you spent time in Jamaica Plain, Cleveland Circle, Kenmore Square, Harvard Square, or Coolidge Corner in 2000-2001 (before I moved to Philly), we might have bumped into each other.
I'm trying to narrow the precise time-frame down (without too much success), but it was definitely before 2000 as my commuting patterns then no longer involved the central subway. It could actually have been as late as 1998 or so. I spent almost 20 years of my career working in and around Boston, and seven of those were spent travelling all around the city.

"The Sighting" was on Boston's Red Line between Washington St. (now "Downtown Crossing"; the old names die hard) and South Station (Under). This was very clearly a guy, as he had a short beard, but was wearing a long white skirt. I was rather envious at the time because even then I was getting bored with what was "on offer" for mens' clothing.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

crfriend wrote:
[...] if it was the late 1980s, it was before my coming out, but if you spent time in Jamaica Plain, Cleveland Circle, Kenmore Square, Harvard Square, or Coolidge Corner in 2000-2001 (before I moved to Philly), we might have bumped into each other.
I'm trying to narrow the precise time-frame down (without too much success), but it was definitely before 2000 as my commuting patterns then no longer involved the central subway. It could actually have been as late as 1998 or so. I spent almost 20 years of my career working in and around Boston, and seven of those were spent travelling all around the city.

"The Sighting" was on Boston's Red Line between Washington St. (now "Downtown Crossing"; the old names die hard) and South Station (Under). This was very clearly a guy, as he had a short beard, but was wearing a long white skirt. I was rather envious at the time because even then I was getting bored with what was "on offer" for mens' clothing.
Hi guys, it's the same over here, in the netherlands. Of the handful who have the time to wear, they most probably aren't allowed by their wives. Any way, there may only be at a guess ten wearers actually wearing skirts openly on a regular ( at least once a week ) basis. I wear skirts daily in public, but I can do that because I don't have a job and live alone. Not having a job is depleting that tlittle bit of savings that I had, very fast, so without spending money, I will visit town much less, and probably end up sitting in the house most of the time. :( So even I may not be seen out in a skirt as often as now. And I fully enjoy wearing a skirt.

I say this to illustrate how difficult it is / most likely is to wear skirts in public. When it is allowd by the partner, then it may not be suitable for working conditions, then there may not be approval from the boss, All in all there may not be more than a handful actually able to wear skirts. Of that small group, skirt wearing is still a choice, so in the winter it won't be worn as much as in the summer. and so on. I'm very glad to be active. But as I say on the dutch forum I'm on, there may only be three or so in the whole of the Netherlands wearing regularly :( so we have to think up a way to stimulate wearing with the men who have at least the time to. Thinking about the men who otherwise would be active, but who are kept from doing so by their partner :twisted: .

As you also state, one is better than nothing, but it doesn't stimulate very much. I am however very interested in what people are talking about, or thinking along men in skirts way, now that I have been constantly seen in our town on an nearly daily basis, for the last two to three months. It certainly brings food for thought about men wearing skirts, and hopefully stimulates other silent skirt wearers to come out in the open, after seeing me.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hi guys, it's the same over here, in the netherlands. Of the handful who have the time to wear, they most probably aren't allowed by their wives.
That's one of the saddest things about blokes who want something different from trousers; those that are closest to them are the main denying force. Looked at intellectually, what we're doing is fundamentally harmless; it injures precisely no-one; it gives us happiness and pleasure; and in those things, it should foster acceptance by our "significant others".

I count myself incredibly fortunate that I have someone so supportive by my side. Sure, sometimes she thinks I'm nuts (sometimes I am), but that's normal -- what's abnormal, from my perspective, is those who categorically reject the notion of anything "out of the ordinary" in "fashion" (in the broad sense). Hopefully other wives/girlfriends might change their minds if more supportive women came to the fore.
Not having a job is depleting that little bit of savings that I had, very fast, so without spending money, I will visit town much less, and probably end up sitting in the house most of the time.
However bad it may get, please don't just mope around the house; that's a recipe for severe problems down the road. Humans are social animals and really need interaction with other humans on a daily basis. Isolation can breed depression, and depression can kill -- figuratively and literally; so stay engaged with your surroundings and community.
I say this to illustrate how difficult it is / most likely is to wear skirts in public. When it is allowd by the partner, then it may not be suitable for working conditions, then there may not be approval from the boss,
I regard my skirt-wearing as completely separate from my work life. Some of my co-workers (cow-orkers?) know that I sport skirts in my off hours, and some have seen me so attired, but it just doesn't figure into my work environment. Vastly more important is to have an accepting (or, even better, encouraging) partner, but, sadly, those seem to be few and far between.
All in all there may not be more than a handful actually able to wear skirts. Of that small group, skirt wearing is still a choice, so in the winter it won't be worn as much as in the summer. and so on.
Interestingly, I think that the ability to exercise the choice is what's key. On days off, I am free to make that choice -- Is it a skirt today or trousers? I don't actually feel a sense of loss that I can't (or, likely more correctly, won't) do so for work; and it's not something that I'm going to lose sleep over, either.
[O]ne [male skirt-wearer] is better than nothing, but it doesn't stimulate very much. I am however very interested in what people are talking about, or thinking along men in skirts way, now that I have been constantly seen in our town on an nearly daily basis, for the last two to three months. It certainly brings food for thought about men wearing skirts, and hopefully stimulates other silent skirt wearers to come out in the open, after seeing me.
That's largely true, mainly because one bloke can't be in all places at all times "flying the flag". It'll take more than the small handful that are active practitioners now before it reaches enough of a critical mass that it'll start encouraging "closet" skirt-wearers into public view and convince their partners that the activity is fundamentally harmless and serves to "beautify the landscape" somewhat for everybody.
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

crfriend wrote:

Quite likely, if everybody was to be perfectly honest, probably closer to one in ten (assuming perfect honesty). However, the reality seems to speak to the guys who actually have the balls to wear skirts in public, and that's maybe (being charitable) in the one in 10,000 realm -- rarer than the proverbial hens' teeth if you'd like to put it that way.
This goes straight back to why men in skirts are all my heroes! I think it does take a lot of courage to buck the system and do something different from the norm. I admire greatly the strength and inner balance it takes for anyone to take that kind of step. So BRAVO, GUYS!! :D YOU LOOK GREAT!!!

I'm actually a little blown away that Carl thinks the statistic could be as high as one in ten men who would like to wear a skirt or kilt in public. That would be really cool, I think!

But if so, then it certainly would mean that the acceptance factor ought to be a lot higher than most people seem to imagine it is. If one in ten men WANT to wear a skirt, then just think -- according to your standard bell curve, that would mean one in ten men would be adamantly against it, and eight of ten men would not really care one way or the other. AND SO WOULD THE WOMEN FEEL. One in ten women would be pretty darned turned on by the sight of a man in a skirt (like blushing lil' ol' me), one in ten women would be offended by this breach of protocol, and eight of ten would really not mind one way or another (once they got used to the idea, probably).

Pretty unscientific, I know, but it does give you something to consider, eh?
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I saw a guy in a Utilikilt at Boston University the other day.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

crfriend wrote:
However bad it may get, please don't just mope around the house; that's a recipe for severe problems down the road. Humans are social animals and really need interaction with other humans on a daily basis. Isolation can breed depression, and depression can kill -- figuratively and literally; so stay engaged with your surroundings and community.
Thanks, crfriend, for your interesting comments. I get much pleasure from wearing skirts and other feestyle clothing.

A short life history:
I do have moments of depression, as I suppose many people have, but don't talk about. Not generating my own income is not helping any. Luckily I will get an minimum social payment, but that's just enough to pay the rent from. Being without I will surely try to keep some social contact, but I have a social deficit as a result of me being a non smoker, and years of emotional stride has left it's mark, unfortunately several times having that put me in sick leave from work. It has both worn me out mentally and fysically, and given me strength to stand up for myself. To keep away from smoke, I have had to live a virtual life of solitude, not having social contacts because there was always tobacco smoke every where, at work, every club, organisation, cafe and so on. And we're not rid of it here yet. (MY problem, as I'm a fighter for personal rights, the freedom to smoke if you want, but with respect for all others. It's that respect which gives problems, It's nearly always not there.)

I don't shy away anywhere when I wear skirts. I'm here, accept me.

So I'm used to being a loner. What I meant was, that without finances, I will eventually have no motorised transport, and no money to spend at all. Which will bring visits to town slowly to an end. I said it in regard to my activity at the moment. It is very nice, and essentila if wearing a skirt can be fitted into your activities, even daily, which makes for continuity, and therefore becomes part of your everyday life. And not being an activity in itself, as it actually is for me at the moment. That's an activity that can only be continuous if you have the cash to spend regularly. Which I don't have. I'm not Bill gates. :roll:

If I had a job, and possibly some social life, I would be very insistent in skirt wearing being a part of it, when I so choose to wear one.

No one said life was easy, but still, it does have it's nice moments. 8)

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.