Where do we put our wallets?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Where do we put our wallets?

Post by JRMILLER »

Oh noble skirt donners,
Having just obtained a nice skirt with an elastic waistband (my favorite kind of waistband) I am contemplating shopping. Where or where do I put my wallet?

-john
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

I have a Columbia Sportswear waterskirt that has only two small mock "cargo" pockets that are useless for a full size wallet. So I leave the wallet behind and just take a driver license, credit card and some cash. Otherwise, just wear a shirt with a pocket and stash your wallet there. Best option is to but skirts with pockets. It requires some time to find skirts that meet the needs of a man - unless you're brazen enough to carry a purse, which doesn't appeal to me.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I've always worn shorts all summer, mostly without pockets. And some of my pants have no pockets either. Not to mention skirts. I keep wallet either in my backpack, or I carry a simple canvas bag.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Skirts? No pockets.

Leggings? No pockets.

Catsuit?....Bwa ha ha, ahem, no pockets.

None of my "fun clothing" have pockets. So I wear shirts with pockets, jackets with same, or work out some other way of carrying what I need, not excluding back packs, or fanny packs.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I always look for skirts with pockets and to hell with the "unsightly" bulges, however, when in a sarong or surfkilt, I have a shoulder bag that fits all the paraphenalia comfortably. I've tried a bum bag but it was too awkward.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Like others have said, a chest pocket or jacketpocket (esp at this cool season). I hate the bulge of a wallet under me and so never keep it in my pocket except for brief periods standing up even with trousers. I will often even simply carry my wallet in my hand when shopping for only one or two items in the summer.
One good thing if you find a skirt with pockets is to thin down your wallet, buy a slim model, and carry a minimum of junk in it, so at least the outline in the pocket is lessened.

*fashion tip - For the guys - If you have a drain pipe physique and stilty legs, then why not try a below the knee hemline and patch pockets on the front like trousers? (add them yourself) They will add a horizontal eye distractor, widen the hips a bit, and break up the overall height image, and serve a practical function for cell, keys, wallet,etc. Might be worth a try. :?:
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Where do we put our wallets?

Post by crfriend »

Where or where do I put my wallet?
Well, I can't precisely say where you put yours ;), but if I'm wearing a skirt without pockets, I tend to carry in my shirt-pocket. I also learned, several years ago, that it pays to get rid of the junk one tends to carry in a wallet (old ATM receipts, long-expired subway tickets (although I still carry a rather "stale" one from the San Franscico "Muni" that's a decade old), photographs that have long since lost relevance, and other assorted accumulated detritus). Once the wallet has faced its "crash diet" it ought to be able to fit comfortably in a shirt pocket.

When wearing trousers, I carry in the front pocket, so the transition to side pockets was quite easy for skirts that have them. As far as other assorted miscellany (car keys, mobile 'phone, &c.) I'll either hand-carry, or, in the case of the car-keys, put 'em on a lanyard around my neck. This works especially well a I tend to wear waistcoats (US "vests") a goodly deal of the time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

You could always add pockets. Patch pockets are easy and with some imagination could look sharp in constrasting fabric. Adding onseam pockets aren't hard either once you get the hang of it.

Some travel clothing companies offer "invisible" security pockets which are a sort of very flat fanny pack that is worn under the garment. Wouldn't work with catsuits though
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

what about a "Manbag" yes I did say Manbag
http://www.mansbagshop.co.uk
bmaxim

Post by bmaxim »

purse
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Toolbelt?

Codpiece?

Sock?

Bra (Oops, that's me) :lol:
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

BrotherTailor wrote:Like others have said, a chest pocket or jacketpocket (esp at this cool season). I hate the bulge of a wallet under me and so never keep it in my pocket except for brief periods standing up even with trousers. I will often even simply carry my wallet in my hand when shopping for only one or two items in the summer.
One good thing if you find a skirt with pockets is to thin down your wallet, buy a slim model, and carry a minimum of junk in it, so at least the outline in the pocket is lessened.

*fashion tip - For the guys - If you have a drain pipe physique and stilty legs, then why not try a below the knee hemline and patch pockets on the front like trousers? (add them yourself) They will add a horizontal eye distractor, widen the hips a bit, and break up the overall height image, and serve a practical function for cell, keys, wallet,etc. Might be worth a try. :?:
Don't they call skirts with that "cargo"skirts? I've seen them, and I think the Utilikilts have them also.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Pythos wrote:Skirts? No pockets.

Leggings? No pockets.

Catsuit?....Bwa ha ha, ahem, no pockets.

None of my "fun clothing" have pockets. So I wear shirts with pockets, jackets with same, or work out some other way of carrying what I need, not excluding back packs, or fanny packs.
Uhum,, Catsuits? great. I've only seen them worn by women, ooooh did they look nice, drool.
How do they look on men?

With the cat suit you must have a purse of some soort I imagine.
peter v,
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Generally speaking, I have never worn my wallet in my back pocket, uncomfortable, and pick pockets. Now that I wear many womwen's skirts, they have no pockets, and i have too much with me anyway.

I now carry a handy women's leather bag, because there are just a few men's bags. What is in it?

My wallet, with credit cards, Identity card, driver's licence, car papers, some other papers and paper money.
My purse, with coins,
I wear spectacles, so I have a pair of perscription sun glasses with me,
My keys, house and car,
Paper handkerchiefs, (no pockets in the skirts)
Sometimes when I wear pantys, I have a reserve pair in a case with me,
A pair of gloves ( for pulling pantys/nylons up) as after a toilet visit the pantys need to be pulled up by smooth hands so that they are not damaged, hands are quite often rough.
Mobile telefone.
Fingernail file,
Small folding knife.
A hair comb.

So you can see, there is enough to fill a small bag.

Strangely enough, if you take some things out, and leave them at home, that's when you need them.

Everybody should have at least a house key, some small change, some paper money, credit card, Identity card ( compulsary here in the Netherlands) possibly driving licence with them. That could possibly fit in a pocket somewhere in a shirt or jacket, otherwise I would suggest a small bag of some soort. Sampsonite has two or more men's handbags.

I don't want to carry a pair of glasses with me either, but I must, on my nose, otherwise I don't see as good as I should, I don't want to carry a bag around, but when you want to have certain things with you, or have to, then there is not much choice, whether you're wearing pants or skirts. I was dragging a bag around for years before I wore skirts, as even my wallet was too big to fit comfortly in my back pocket.

Choose a bag which suits YOUR style don't search for a men's bag only if you like other styles. By bag is a rectangular shape and has four compartments. It was labelled women's bag, but could just the same be a men's bag. Men's bag probably meaning that there are no decorations, like non functional belts, very rounded edges etc. But That is like everything else, a question of personal taste. I like some women's bags, ( there are only a small handful of "men's"bags available, but they are spoilt for me because I don't like some of the decorations on them.

There's nothing wrong with wearing a bag, women do nothing else! But get used to having one, keep thinking about it, otherwise you may leave it behind or get it snatched from you. ( Your wallet in your back pocket can get snatched too. )

Peter v.

PS Skirts, often Denim skirts, can be denim p[ants replicas, and then you can use the pockets precicely the same as your pants, otherwise a bag is probably your ownly option.
Last edited by Peter v on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

RichardA wrote:what about a "Manbag" yes I did say Manbag
http://www.mansbagshop.co.uk
Nice site, tasteful real leather bags. I like the satchel bags myself, I personally don't care much for sewn on pockets.

I see that the most are quite large bags.

There are aparently only three small bags,

Style: 18512
Antique Brown
Title: Man's Bag [ S ]
Price: £19.95

Style: W4192
Antique Brown
Title: MAN'S SHOULDER BAG [ S ]
Price: £19.95

And possibly a little larger,

Style: 47294
Black
Cognac
Title: LEATHER MESSENGER BAG
Price: £59.95

Peter v.