This Coming Winter

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

This Coming Winter

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Okay it’s the last days of summer & just over a month in the northern hemisphere we’ll be fast moving thorough autumn into winter. This winter I’m going without trousers even if Britain gets snowed under. Though I’ve been wearing skirts & kaftans in public now for 5 years I’ve never gone without wimping out & wearing trousers when it gets cold. However I’ve now given all my trousers to charity shops & I’m firm in my resolve to get thorough winter trouser free.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Good for you!
Heavy wool skirts to below the knee, high kilt type hose, short thermal boxers, and tall boots. and keep moving...
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Tights also work. So do longer heavy weight skirts.

Keep us updated on your adventures!
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Well I've got past the shortest day completely without trousers (& tights)

To help deal with the weather I bought myself a Parka & boy it keeps me warm.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:Well I've got past the shortest day completely without trousers (& tights)

To help deal with the weather I bought myself a Parka & boy it keeps me warm.
Good job! Congratulations. {we need a "thumbs-up" smiley}

Parkas certainly have their place in the colder climes. Don't forget your hat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

crfriend wrote: Parkas certainly have their place in the colder climes. Don't forget your hat.
Moped don't you mean I've already got Paul Weller & Who records
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

well done

Post by knickerless »

I think you are an example to us all - trouserless for over 3 months. It is down hill from now - days now getting longer and warmer.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I too got through the shortest day in a denim kilt, tights and knee-high socks. Strangely, I saw a higher proportion than normal of women in long skirts. Perhaps they know what we know - long skirts are warmer than trousers :)

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

It's not quite downhill yet! There are often greater extremes in store for a month after the respective solstice. However I know Ziggy will get there :)
DavidsSkirts

It's Summer down here !!!

Post by DavidsSkirts »

I find around here, that the warmer weather starts about 6 weeks or so after the winter solstice (in June here..); though in NSW it's also common to have a few warm days during an otherwise cool - cold winter...
8)

I would probably only have to dress the way you people are discussing here, maybe 20 to 30% of the time (unless I headed up into the hills/mountains, or down South - where conditions could be more familiar to people in UK, Europe and North America..); half the time I would dress in what might be Spring/Autumn levels up there; the remainder of time it would be warm enough to go nude {if only that were possible..}.
:lol:
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Sarongman wrote:It's not quite downhill yet! There are often greater extremes in store for a month after the respective solstice. However I know Ziggy will get there :)
I had thought about attending a conference in New Hampshire next week but the amount of snow New Hampshire gets at this time of scared me off
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Don't be scared off. Check the weather forecast at nws.noaa.gov to see what's coming up

For the most part, folks just stay inside during a storm, the road crews come out and by the next morning the roads are clear.

Most conferences are held inside a hotel so you don't even have to go out.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I was going to fly out to New Hampshire this weekend for a libertarian conference but it wasn't lack of cash which was the problem it was the prospect of snow I really have phobia about snow & ice.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:I was going to fly out to New Hampshire this weekend for a libertarian conference but it wasn't lack of cash which was the problem it was the prospect of snow I really have phobia about snow & ice.
You were really going to fly trans-Atlantic to attend a political conference in the US for a weekend? Why?

In any event, the weekend was reasonably clear; all we got where we live (about 35 minutes south of the New Hampshire border) was some (freezing) rain. Monday, however, dumped a few more inches of heavy wet snow on us, but we New Englanders are pretty used to that; it's timing that causes fiascos like we had in early December. We're waiting to see if December broke the record for snowiest December yet or not. The final tally isn't in just yet, but my back doesn't indicate that a record was broken.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Ziggy, I'm with you on the snow and ice stuff, even though I've lived in Massachusetts since 1971.

I just stock up and hunker down and wait until its over.

As I mentioned before most conferences are held at conference centers which have hotel, restaurant, conference and exhibit space. You don't have to go outside unless you want to. Many places also provide transportation to and from the airport.

I've been to many of the venues in Mass, NH and CT showing cats, so next time, drop a line and I can probably give you the scopp on the place.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long