What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Post by ChristopherJ »

I find it difficult to work out what goes well with a skirt and what does not. I don't want to simply copy women's fashions - as I'm a man and I want to look like a man - so I want a man's fashion style. So this thread is for discussing clothing other than skirts and to determine (if possible) what looks right on a man in a skirt.

I've got several bugbears. In order:

1) Tops. By this I mean shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, pullovers etc. For me it seems that dark coloured shirts look good. Baggy t-shirts look terrible. Pullovers don't look right somehow - but what else to wear in winter? Sweatshirts are OK if they are not baggy . . .
See what I mean - I don't have any rules to work by.

2) Footwear. I own mostly trainers - and they look OK with a skirt sometimes, but I have found that high boots are best - in my opinion, with a short skirt. But are there any other options?

3) Top coats. By this I mean winter wear - both for warmth and weather protection. Is there a decent style of man's coat that looks OK with a skirt?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

1) Tops - My biggest problem also. I've had trouble with woven shirts with buttons, unless I wear them unbuttoned over a colored T-shirt. Big baggy sweaters and T-shirts don't work, but fairly form fitting knits do. For some reason, ordinary short-sleeved knits look funny, but long sleeved knits rolled up look good. The other thing I've found looks good are woven pullovers, assuming that they fit well.

2) Shoes - Sandals, loafers and ankle boots, depending on the style of skirt.

3) Outerwear - Almost anything cut like a jacket will work well with the right skirt. In fact, I've found that a light sweater, either crew neck or V-neck, worn under a blazer, will work with almost anything. For cooler weather, I have a black leather blazer and a brown heavy cotton blazer styled jacket that I can wear in all but the coldest weather. Depending on the skirt, big, bulky (as opposed to baggy) knit sweaters can eliminate the need for outerwear.

I have yet to find a a raincoat or an overcoat that fits and works well with a skirt, and as for parkas or macs, forget it.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Good thread topic!

I think what we wear on top must balance the bottom half. For example, if you wear an ankle length skirt, pleated and full, the top should be similarly cut - high neck long sleeves. A dress that is floor length however is normally for evening wear (in women's terms) and is thus cut more revealingly, sleeveless, some sort of dramatically done back like criss cross straps etc.
A knee length skirt depends on the material, a full woolen skirt, in say heavy tweed would look stupid with a mest halter top. Such a skirt would demand at least a substantial blouse/shirt and even better a sweater or matching/contrasting jacket. Something like a chiffon or semi transparent summer skirt is the place to break out the tank tops, and stretchy stuff. Don't wear a short tight pencil skirt and a big fluffy sweater...as men we have to take into account our wide shoulders and thick necks, and try to balance tops and bottoms or we end up like inverted triangles.

The dress solves the problem.

The traditional "hourglass" silhouette is, in my opinion, still something that even men should aim for to the extent they are able. Most women admire a man with wide shoulders and a defined waist that is smaller than their hips. It is not nearly as pronounced as in women, but the hip/waist ratio theory of beauty -fertility - desirability - health still holds I think.

Having said all that. I'm the same as anyone. What goes with what? I guess I lean to more "natural" fibres, heavy wools, cottons, leather for the feet, they seem easier to figure out. I just look at what works for women and translate... trying to avoid colour clash, not mixing wild stripes with soft solids or mismatched checks etc. look for harmony - lay the outfit on the bed and stare at it for an hour...it will either grow on you or it will not.

I definitely think that baggy tops are terrible with a skirt. It is the skirt that we want to emphasise properly, and a flapping and frumpy top just serves to confuse the viewer. As men we need to try a little bit harder to make this work, women can slum and still look good, men slum and they just come across as slobs with bleary eyes and stubble... :roll: (said with bleary eyes and not having shaved today, sitting here in my night gown over two petticoats and a cozy but mismatched sweater altered to fit firmly :? ) slob city. (but i did finish making myself a matching flat cap to match the winter cape I made a month ago! so the day was not a loss...I "have" to go to the fabric store tomorrow to find the right colour covered button to go on the top...might pick up some other stuff....:) )
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Just a couple of quick thoughts on the subject.

A fisherman sweater would look great with a kilt.

Carl has great luck wearing a man's dress and vest with a skirt.

In warmer weather he's combined a Hawaiian shirt with his skirts.

This past weekend he wore a black tiered skirt, black tights, black men's dress shoes and a black t shirt that read "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Jeff looked good in his sweater and skirt combo and in his polo shirt and denim skirt.

Basically you are looking for a balance amongst the pieces that you put together. You can take the components of a business suit and add a skirt tailered to coordinate with the cut, color and fabric of the suit.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:I've got several bugbears. In order:

1) Tops. [...]

2) Footwear.[...]

3) Top coats. [...]
Here's the way that I get around those:

For tops, I just wear what I normally wear during the course of the day. For me, that's a mens' dress shirt (button-down optional) and, if it's cooler or I want an additional splash, a waistcoat (vest). Occasionally I'll wear a necktie (aka "strangulation device"/garrotte). If I'm wearing a tie, the shirt collar will be inside the waistcoat collar, else worn outside for contrast, most frequently with the top two buttons undone so I get a nice "V" at the neck (my beard hides the shirt if I have only one button open). If I'm wearing a shirt that has "tails" it gets tucked in -- always; if I've got one on that has a straight hem, I'll either wear it "in" or "out" depending on my fancy at the moment.

Footwear is approached in an identical manner. I wear plain black mens' loafers (with a small buckle for contrast) during the day; I wear these with my skirts. I wish I could find something with a mild heel, but that's not likely to happen soon.

Outer coats can be a bit of a problem; however, as I rarely wear much beyond a lined windbreaker I haven't had to really hit that problem head-on yet. (I just tend not to go outside too much during the winters and stay to heated areas. The exception is when I'm shovelling snow, and then the windbreaker is usually sufficient to keep me warm because I'm working. A hat is a necessity in this event, as are gloves; the biggest key is staying dry.) I used to have a wonderful early-1960s US-government-issue (army) trench coat that could stop a 50 MPH arctic blast, but that ultimately wore out a few years ago -- that one would have worked well with most of my skirts because it was long and the hem of the skirt wouldn't poke out from underneath.

Unless you're playing the same game that I do (stick to heated areas whenever possible), I suspect that wearing a skirt outside in frigid temperatures isn't the best of ideas. The issue can be mitigated somewhat by wearing heavy tights (opaques) and boots (I don't like boots, so that option's off the table for me), but there's nothing like a heated room or car.

BrotherTailor brings up the interesting notion that even men should aspire to a "hourglass figure" (in a less extreme form than women, but something in that regard anyway). Whilst this can work for the skinnier guys (I have mild curves), it won't work for the more heavy-set blokes and the "standard for men" allows a bit of a beer belly (which is not "allowed" for women -- there's your double standard again). I suspect it's also why fewer men than women have eating disorders -- the pressure isn't there in the same way. I have been trying to figure out some way that I can get my "curves" to show in a non-suggestive way, and the fact that I do quite natually "nip in" at the waist is one reason that modern off-the-peg shirts fit me like tents, especially in the lower back region.

And, finally, fabrics (if you haven't had enough of this rant already). I'd like breezy cotton tops during the summer; unfortunately, there's something in my body chemistry that dissolves all cottons but uphoulstery-grade ones. It even dissolves cotton thread, so if I have a shirt constructed of manmade fabrics sewn with cotton thread I get to replace the stitching every few months. My current favourites are polyesters (and blends), rayons, and silks (for special occasions). I also really like velvets and brocades; all of the above "work" quite well for me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

An interesting topic. I'll try my best to add to what's been mentioned already.

Tops: With fall and winter approaching, turtleneck sweaters like what I sported in one of my pics work well and look stylish when paired with a skirt. Perhaps you could do something with a bulky cable knit pullover that can be worn over a skirt, particularly a short skirt. I find that to be a nice look if it's done right. Now, this is just me, but I also consider it crucial to color coordinate your tops with your skirts, you don't want to throw just anything on and head out the door, being stylish and exhibiting a good sense of style is important.

Footwear: Admittedly, I can't be impartial and offer good advice here since I prefer to wear heels as I just don't look good in a skirt while wearing cumbersome men's shoes. I simply don't. Perhaps that's my own peculiar bias, but that's the way I feel.

Outerwear: Well, leather jackets are timeless and look good with just about anything and everything. Ditto for leather coats, they also look good.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

since this is

Post by SkirtedViking »

...the freestyle section I do not expect negatvie comments.First i do not belive in masculinity in terms of clothing etc. as many women wear unfeminine garments and shoes.So I wear so called female tops that do not require anatomical parts that I do not have with the skirts.Also shoes range from flats to high heels of all kind, boots including.I like tailored jackets a lot, they suit skirts best in my opinion.It is not necessary to tell that whatever I wear I do it as myself,just a guy fighting for equality and fashion freedom.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Well that's some great feedback for me so thank you to those who have posted their thoughts and ideas. I find it very helpful.
alexthebird
1) Tops - Big baggy sweaters and T-shirts don't work, but fairly form fitting knits do.
BrotherTailor also made the same point about baggy sweaters - and this has been my experience as well. Yet I do agree with you that fairly close fitting ones can look pretty good. It's nice to have that confirmed.
3) Outerwear - Almost anything cut like a jacket will work well with the right skirt. In fact, I've found that a light sweater, either crew neck or V-neck, worn under a blazer, will work with almost anything.
The key point here is 'the right skirt'. I've got a few nice jackets - not many as I mostly wear bomber type jackets - but about 4 good ones. However, I have tried wearing them with my skirts and they don't really work, because I like my jackets long and my skirts are fairly short - so I end up with the jacket being almost as long as the skirt - and that just doesn't look right IMO.

Here's photos of me in 2 different jackets:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/4194 ... b7.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/4677 ... 26.jpg?v=0

The red velvet jacket is the same length as the skirt - and looks odd, I think. The blue one looks a little better, but basically, I don't think that type of jacket works well with a short skirt. A shorter jacket - like a Levi jacket looks OK though.

Pity - I really like the combination of a light sweater under a jacket. Maybe if I went for a shorter, blazer type of jacket it would work. I'll have to look around at some jackets.
Jeff
Now, this is just me, but I also consider it crucial to color coordinate your tops with your skirts, you don't want to throw just anything on and head out the door, being stylish and exhibiting a good sense of style is important.
Well - that's me stuffed then! :(

As I am colour-blind and have the fashion sense of a caterpillar.

However, I do agree with what you say 100% Jeff and I am trying to learn. Having spent 50 years just literally wearing whatever clothing items were cleanest that day, I am now actually THINKING about what I wear - and LOOKING to see what other people wear - and trying to understand how people (mostly women) actually co-ordinate their outfits etc.

It's a whole new world! Scary! :shock:
crfriend
Master Barista

Hmmm.....

Post by crfriend »

JeffB1959 wrote:Tops: With fall and winter approaching, turtleneck sweaters like what I sported in one of my pics work well and look stylish when paired with a skirt.
Here's a notion, and it's not terribly new in the "menswear" world -- a turtleneck paired with a sportcoat -- but worn atop a skirt? The length of the jacket would likely be the issue depending upon the length of the skirt, but I suspect it might work.

I don't think it's work with a mini (we are, after all, talking winter here), but it just might work well with a knee-length skirt and a jacket that hits at the upper thigh. I believe I need to go and find a couple of my old suit jackets....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I was shopping today, and hit Value Village (it is a chain of charity used clothing retailers). I picked up 5 sweaters with specific skirts in mind for coordinating. I have a black and grey/white houndstooth weave wool skirt (comes to 5 or so inches above my ankles) and I bought an off-white cableknit turtleneck sweater to go with it. It looks good to me. I think natural colours and tones are easiest to work with, and are the least "stand outish" if you know what I mean? You can be a bit "off" and still not look like a rodeo clown...I don't have a woman around to give an opinion though, so take my comments for what they're worth.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

ChristopherJ wrote:
Jeff
Now, this is just me, but I also consider it crucial to color coordinate your tops with your skirts, you don't want to throw just anything on and head out the door, being stylish and exhibiting a good sense of style is important.
Well - that's me stuffed then! :(

As I am colour-blind and have the fashion sense of a caterpillar.

However, I do agree with what you say 100% Jeff and I am trying to learn. Having spent 50 years just literally wearing whatever clothing items were cleanest that day, I am now actually THINKING about what I wear - and LOOKING to see what other people wear - and trying to understand how people (mostly women) actually co-ordinate their outfits etc.

It's a whole new world! Scary! :shock:
Aww, it's not so scary. It's all about watching women and what they wear and applying what you see to develop your own look as you don't want to simply copy what others wear. Your style has to be just that---YOUR style! I've always believed that if you look good, you'll FEEL good! From looking at your pics (Good heavens! Legwarmers? That's so-oooooo 1980's! Heh! Just kidding!), you're certainly confident when out and about in a skirt, just tweak your style and you'll definitely look great!
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

JeffB1959,
You are so right when you say that if we "look good, then we'll feel good". One's self image, the way we see ourselves is vital to mental health and wellness. The fact that a lot of us see ourselves as looking good in a skirt, ought to tell us something. the trick is to project those good vibes onto others we meet by presenting attractively.

A classically good looking woman walks into a room wearing a tailored dress or skirt suit, and every man in the room is fixated, bewitched, for at least a moment, even the married guys, it is just the way we are designed. For a man to accomplish the same thing in a positive way in a room full of women while wearing his skirt outfit is going to take some doing... but I think it can be done.

Yours for a more beautiful and elegant world,
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Of course you can turn a lady's head in a well put together skirted ensemble!!

Suit jackets, sport coats and blazers work really well with skirts, but please be cognizant of proportion. The length of these garments just doesn't work with minis. Try a shorter jacket or go in the opposite direction with a long men's top coat. Consider a duster ala The Matrix. I'll be you'll love the way the duster swirls around your legs. Worn with a mini and tights, the combo would make for some head turning entrances.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

(Good heavens! Legwarmers? That's so-oooooo 1980's! Heh! Just kidding!),
They are coming back into fashion! Honest! :wink:
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Christopher,
This is just my opinion, and don't take offense, but lose the legwarmers, or, better, save them for jeans. I'd suggest you try some grey wool hiking socks worn slightly slouched for an "at ease" look that also provides some gentle transition between the black tights and white sneakers.

But as for the jackets, I have no real opinion. They both look okay to me.

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia