What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Classic pumps work best for me

Post by Peter v »

John wrote:All,

I just wear leather pumps in a classic woman's style, with medium to moderate heels depending on the mood I'm in.

As for up top, I just choose a man's top that coordinates well with my skirt and pantyhose. The enclosed picture is a typical example.

Cheers,

John
Congratulations, very nice, well chosen. And don't be put off by comments about being too femme. You are just a man who is refining his clothing.

ENJOY.

The pumps really look the part.
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Departed Member

Thanks Peter!

Post by Departed Member »

Peter, thanks for the kudos.

Cheers & Regards,

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Post by Sinned »

I enjoy looking through old threads as I can see slight changes in perceptions and tastes. Do it for yourself and you'll see what I mean!

As for what I wear with my skirts - well I just try and co-ordinate the colours but just wear regular shirts, t-shirts and in this cold weather pullovers. Fot the lower half colour co-ordinated hosiery with the thickness increasing with the decreasing temperature. Every so often, when I have a couple of hours on my own, I get the long mirror out and try on a few combinations to see what works to me and what doesn't. I try and get skirts that go with some of the things I rarely wear to encourage me to wear them. I then let my wife have a look at the results and take notice of her comments. If SHE thinks the combination looks good then to my way of thinking most others probably would too. I do try and wear the same things that I would wear with trousers and in doing this some of the tops are going out as I would no longer wear them with either.

Sinned
Last edited by Sinned on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I wear a men's polo shirt or a high-end tee shirt. I always wear women's shoes because men's shoes are just too clunky and ugly. In my opinion, women's mid-heel or low-heel pumps look better than clunky men's shoes especially if you are wearing pantyhose with the skirt.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I disagree. I'm a man in a skirt, so I wear men's shoes. Yes they are clumpy compared to women's shoes. People can get used to it!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

skirtyscot wrote:I disagree. I'm a man in a skirt, so I wear men's shoes. Yes they are clumpy compared to women's shoes. People can get used to it!
I wear men's shoes which are big and clumpy. They go with my big clumpy feet. I just don't think size 12 feet would work in a pair of dainty high heels! :lol:
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I always thought a TOP was a hat, a shirt was a MIDDLE and a skirt was a BOTTOM. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I wear men's shoes which are big and clumpy. They go with my big clumpy feet. I just don't think size 12 feet would work in a pair of dainty high heels! :lol:
Indeed. Just try finding (US women's) size 13 1/2 heels -- or anything else, for that matter! I guess I have to plod around in my conventional clod-hoppers even though not all that long ago decent men's shoes could be had, even some with -- gasp -- heels.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I wear an 11 in a woman's shoe and usually purchase my shoes at Nordstrom Rack. Nordstrom Rack has a large selection of women's 11, 12, and some 13's. Several times when shopping for size 11 women's shoes at Nordstrom Rack, I have encountered women that wear size 12 and were also trying on shoes. They were envious that I could wear an 11. The point is that there are women that wear size 12 and even size 13. If you would like a more refined look of a woman's shoe, don't be discouraged if you require a larger size.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I put on a pair of black leather loafers with a leather skirt and did not like the look at all. Even my wife commented on how big and clunky the shoes looked. I suppose boots would be a better look but I don't have any.
I have worn women's shoes with a skirt/kilt for a charity walk. Not an easy task.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

rick401r wrote:I put on a pair of black leather loafers with a leather skirt and did not like the look at all. Even my wife commented on how big and clunky the shoes looked. I suppose boots would be a better look but I don't have any.
I have worn women's shoes with a skirt/kilt for a charity walk. Not an easy task.
If you want a more refined look that is not so clunky, I suggest wearing a pair of Easy Spirit Pumps. You may have see the advertisement several years ago with women playing basketball in them. They are really that comfortable and are cute at the same time. Women's sandals are also another option for a non-clunky look. If you choose to wear women's sandals, then you should get pedicures and wear colored nail polish on your toes.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

jamie001 wrote: Women's sandals are also another option for a non-clunky look. If you choose to wear women's sandals, then you should get pedicures and wear colored nail polish on your toes.
I do (both) and get lots of compliments on my toenails from women. 8)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Dragearen

Post by Dragearen »

Depends on which skirt I'm wearing.

Tops - for my kilt and my plaid skirt, I usually wear a dress shirt, sometimes with a vest and tie. For my sarongs, I'll wear that or a traditional orange shirt from Nepal.

Shoes - In the summer, Timberland black shoes. Almost like dress shoes, but less shiny and with a real tread. In the winter, or if I'm working, combat boots.

Jackets - Either a pea coat or a black Affliction indie-style coat.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Combining my skirt with my shirt in different colours, depend on the skirt I am wearing and a jacket in the same colour as the skirt. Combine the skirt with various tupes of tights and flat shoes. fiortunately I have no big feet, so that's ok. Sometimes I combine them with some boots
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Personally, I've never liked mid-calf boots or socks on men or women. Half-calf just breaks the form of the leg.

Therefore, most of the time, I tend to wear either sandals or gym shoes with short socks.

When I'm hiking, I do wear ankle-high boots and half-calf socks, but unless it's cold I push the socks down to the boot tops.

I really haven't done "formal" yet, but I suppose I'd wear either kilt socks or black tights.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron