What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Post by knickerless »

I see nothing wrong with the leg warmers. I now how draughty it gets here in the mid west. I think they fit the image you are trying to achieve. It works for you. It probably would not work for me. We are all different.

Nick
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Personally I'd say both those jackets are too long with the skirts pictured, but as my wife would doubtless tell you, don't mind me I would not know fashion sense if it hit me between the eyes with a club hammer :shock:

To go with the skirts you pictured, I'd look for jackets that stopped just below the waist; might be a bit hard to find in styles more formal than the bomber / denim jackets you already referred to. The other alternative, as has already been suggested, is a coat significantly longer than the skirts. That can look stunning if you can find the right coat.

I have teamed a light tan coloured sports coat with a black shirt and 42" (floor length) black skirt before now and reckoned it looked OK, both with and without a neck tie. I'll see if I can dig out a picture.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

To go with the skirts you pictured, I'd look for jackets that stopped just below the waist; might be a bit hard to find in styles more formal than the bomber / denim jackets you already referred to. The other alternative, as has already been suggested, is a coat significantly longer than the skirts. That can look stunning if you can find the right coat.
This thread has really helped me a lot in just sorting out my ideas a bit. Most of the stuff I already knew - but it was good to have them confirmed - like the length of jackets that goes with short skirts. I had already decided that long jackets didn't work - and haven't worn any for 6 months. I don't do 'formal' (FFS - I only own one pair of shoes and only wear those to funerals!) so I am happy to wear Levi type jackets with the skirts.

But - and here's the bad news. Who first mentioned those long coats that they wore in the Matrix. Are they called Dusters or something?

I wants one. NOW! You are right, that sort of long coat would look great with a mini.

But I don't have much money. Maybe I'll find one on eBay . . . .
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

ChristopherJ wrote:The red velvet jacket is the same length as the skirt - and looks odd, I think. The blue one looks a little better, but basically, I don't think that type of jacket works well with a short skirt. A shorter jacket - like a Levi jacket looks OK though.
The jackets in the picture do work!

A Fan :wink:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:This thread has really helped me a lot in just sorting out my ideas a bit. Most of the stuff I already knew - but it was good to have them confirmed - like the length of jackets that goes with short skirts.
Dang, ChristopherJ, that red velvet number is an outright stunner if paired with a longer skirt. May I offer a bit of advice (from my own perspective)? Instead of a tee-shirt under it, pair it off with a dress shirt in a contrasting colour (even plain boring white, although I'd be tempted to fiddle with yellows) with the shirt collar worn outside the jacket. That'd provide good contrast "up top", and, paired with a longer skirt would look eminently grand.
I had already decided that long jackets didn't work - and haven't worn any for 6 months.
"Regular" jackets work fine with longer skirts -- they just don't work with minis. If you want a jacket that'd work with a mini, you need to find a very short jacket, almost in the waistcoat length; those would work just fine.
Who first mentioned those long coats that they wore in the Matrix. Are they called Dusters or something?
That'd be Sapphire.
I wants one. NOW! You are right, that sort of long coat would look great with a mini.
I just wish I had the cubes to wear outright minis in public....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Yes, I'm the one who mentioned dusters.

The duster is an ankle length overcoat that originated in the American West. It was worn by horsemen to protect their clothing from trail dust. When motor cars came into the picture both men and women wore them to protect their clothes from street dust.

The western duster was reintroduced in "The God, the Bad and the Ugly". To see superb examples of the western duster, I recommend viewing the 1993 movie "Tombstone"

The style was updated for "The Matrix".
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I posted this yesterday - but the post seems to have gone astray somewhere . . . :(
Dang, ChristopherJ, that red velvet number is an outright stunner if paired with a longer skirt. May I offer a bit of advice (from my own perspective)? Instead of a tee-shirt under it, pair it off with a dress shirt in a contrasting colour (even plain boring white, although I'd be tempted to fiddle with yellows) with the shirt collar worn outside the jacket. That'd provide good contrast "up top", and, paired with a longer skirt would look eminently grand.
I just wanted to say that the red velvet jacket is a Pierre Cardin jacket - normal price £200 GBP ($400 US approx) and I bought it in the sales in TKMaxx for . . . £7GBP. Bargain of a lifetime - as it is beautiful quality.

And also, as it happens, I have a very nice medium weight cotton shirt in a perfect shade of yellow to go with that jacket.

So I just need a longer skirt.

And boots, of course. can never have enough boots . . . :wink:

Sapphire - I'd kill for one of those Duster coats. Well . . . maybe not kill - but I'd go quite a long way to get one. I bet they are very expensive though - but maybe I can steal one from Clint Eastwood.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:So I just need a longer skirt.
Embrace length. Long calls you..... :D
ChristopherJ wrote:Sapphire - I'd kill for one of those Duster coats. Well . . . maybe not kill - but I'd go quite a long way to get one.
Good. We've had a bit too much of that recently. :(
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I've seen some good sewing patterns for dusters. try googling http://www.longago.com or Duster Pattern or something. try http://www.pastpatterns.com too. If you have a local tailor or seamstress they can make you one precisely to fit. That's always the best anyhow unless off the peg sizes fit you.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

There is a tan (western style) duster available through jpeterman.com
It costs close to $200USD

I'll have to look up those patterns!

I have a denim duster that was hand painted by a local artist. I love it but wish the denim was softer.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Embrace length. Long calls you.....
I have purchased a knee length skirt from ebay. I await delivery.

This is the great thing about eBay. I can buy a skirt for £4 or £5 (less than $10 US) - just to try it out. If it doesn't work out - well, I haven't lost much money.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have purchased a knee length skirt from ebay. I await delivery.
Good on ya, mate! If that one doesn't look quite right (skirts hitting right at the knee can be problematic) I suspect you've got the figure for a really long one (I'm built like a drainpipe, too). :) You've got the right approach -- go cheap -- that way if an experiment truly bombs it doesn't matter much.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

My opinions are:

I believe that women's shoes look the best with a skirt because most men's shoes are clod-hoppers that look to ruged no matter what the shoes style. If you don't want to wear high-heels, I would recommend women low-heeled pumps or open toe sandals with painted toenails. Shaved legs are pretty much a requirement for wearing skirts, and pantyhose improve the overall look.

Jamie :D

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

The word Crossdressing needs to be removed from the English language because it only applies to men.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I believe that women's shoes look the best with a skirt because most men's shoes are clod-hoppers that look to ruged no matter what the shoes style. If you don't want to wear high-heels, I would recommend women low-heeled pumps or open toe sandals with painted toenails. Shaved legs are pretty much a requirement for wearing skirts, and pantyhose improve the overall look.
I can understand why you say that Jamie - as men's shoes are just a joke when it comes to finding something that would go with a skirt. I wear trainers a lot - simply because I don't have much money to buy new stuff. However, lately I have been lucky and bought a great pair of boots (womens) very cheaply and also some Birkenstock sandals. Both look great with skirts.

I don't want to wear high heels and I'm not interested in shaving my legs. For me women's boots look best with my skirts and so I am currently saving my pennies hard to buy some new ones. I don't like 'girly' stuff though.

I have just bought this pair:
http://rimages.drct2u.com/content/image ... x_huge.jpg

And now I want these as well:
http://content.next.co.uk/items/X40/sho ... 6-X40w.jpg
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Christopher,

I really like the boots and Birkies are also a good idea. Great choices!! :)

ChristopherJ wrote:
I can understand why you say that Jamie - as men's shoes are just a joke when it comes to finding something that would go with a skirt. I wear trainers a lot - simply because I don't have much money to buy new stuff. However, lately I have been lucky and bought a great pair of boots (womens) very cheaply and also some Birkenstock sandals. Both look great with skirts.

I don't want to wear high heels and I'm not interested in shaving my legs. For me women's boots look best with my skirts and so I am currently saving my pennies hard to buy some new ones. I don't like 'girly' stuff though.

I have just bought this pair:
http://rimages.drct2u.com/content/image ... x_huge.jpg

And now I want these as well:
http://content.next.co.uk/items/X40/sho ... 6-X40w.jpg