What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What is good (and bad) for a man to wear with a skirt

Post by STEVIE »

I wrote it in another post, the trick is "horses for courses", be appropriate.
Do not be a parody, be yourself.
If you think you're going to be uncomfortable in a skirt, you will be and it will show.
Then, don't do it or wear a kilt.
Steve.
Southernskirt

Post by Southernskirt »

Love this subject, it was one of the hardest things I had to overcome to begin dressing in skirts in public. I actually found out that asking a reliable third party was the easiest thing to do. My girlfriend at the time (my wife now) was very helpful in determining what worked with what, and what would scare the livestock and send polite company running for the hills, so to speak. What I have found is that colors make a difference mainly in broad categories i.e. bright colors, dark colors, prints, and the like. For instance, a dark solid colored skirt can be paired with a bright top to draw emphasis, as in the focal point of onlookers, upward on your body. Likewise if a brighter colored skirt is paired with a darker top, the emphasis will be on the skirt. Prints on the other hand in any type clothing have had a tendency to draw the eye away from that particular area, depending on the complexity of the print and the context of which you wear it, I can't imagine why this is, but after seeing it first hand I believe it. Here's a short list of what I have found that works (and doesn't) for me, and of course this only pertains to me, you may be able to rock what I say doesn't work and if so, Rock On!:

Tops:
Works- Button front shirts, turtlenecks (depending on weather conditions), polo shirts, "athletic" cuts.
Doesn't work- V-necklines, tops with lots of extra length (longer than around 4 inches below the belt line), tank-tops.

Outerwear:
Works- Bomber-style jackets, as in coats/jackets/rainwear that fall around the waistline.
Doesn't work- Parkas, trench coats, shiny rainwear.

Shoes:
Works- leather dock shoes, sandals, athletic shoes (running, walking, tennins, etc.) in neutral colors, boots around 4-6" in height i.e. hiking boots.
Doesn't work- work boots, cowboy boots, canvas shoes.
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

Southernskirt wrote:Love this subject, it was one of the hardest things I had to overcome to begin dressing in skirts in public.
Me too. The best advice I got came from a couple of shop assistants who work at my favourite skirt shop (Portmans). I favour dark solid coloured womens tops that are not overtly femme because 1. they are not baggy, and 2. they are shorter in length than guys shirts. By that I mean that baggier, longer shirts look dreadful and untidy (in my opinion) worn with a skirt.

I also team my skirts with womens shoes because:
jamie001 wrote:I believe that women's shoes look the best with a skirt because most men's shoes are clod-hoppers.
I like sandals or court shoes with a small chunky heel, maybe 2 inches at the most. I like my ankles too much to wear shoes with a higher or pointy heel. I reckon I'd go arse up quick smart :shock:

I probably do give off a bit more feminine look that that of a guy in a skirt, but I'm fine with that because I feel more, ummmm.... balanced I suppose, for want of a better term, and it's all about what we are comfortable in.

I'm fortunate that being well over 6ft tall with a slim athletic build I can pretty much get away with most things.

Cheers

Neil
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I still wear elastic sided work boots. I am, I think, addicted to them, after many years on the land. I have had one critical comment in Murwillumbah N.S.W. while there visiting daughter No.1. M'bah is a town with a strong alternative culture, so was not surprised when a woman said to me "Those shoes don't go with that skirt". My S.O. hasn't made any comment about my footwear but is quick to point out any obvious faux pas I make, which are getting rarer.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

Sarongman wrote:M'bah is a town with a strong alternative culture, so was not surprised when a woman said to me "Those shoes don't go with that skirt".
Mate, that is gold :lol:
Was that the extent of the conversation, or did the discussion continue?
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Hazy, the conversation did go on with the obvious question as to why I was wearing a skirt, with my stock reply being comfort and equality, which she readily accepted as valid reasons.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

I find it difficult to work out what goes well with a skirt and what does not. I don't want to simply copy women's fashions - as I'm a man and I want to look like a man - so I want a man's fashion style. So this thread is for discussing clothing other than skirts and to determine (if possible) what looks right on a man in a skirt.
There is a small margin between looking like a female caricature and adopting elements from "women's fashion." I combined Adrian Square tights with a kilt, black sneakers and a black-purple hoodie from Londsdale. You could also use a waiscoat and biker gloves instead, brown or light coloured, it doesn't matter. Male's fashion style doesn't necessarily incorporates drab and dull colours. The tights can be replaced by some overknee compression socks or female overknee socks, if you feets are tiny enough. Black coloured they go with almost anything. The compression socks are pricey compared to female overknee socks, $40+.