Imagine this

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Imagine this

Post by sapphire »

While not skirts, I thought the following from Men's Vogue would look sharp if a skirt replaced the trousers:

Just inside the front cover is a photo of a rather formal Ralph Lauren ensemble: white and purple vertical striped dress shirt, navy tie with white polka dots, long navy overcoat with purple satin lining and navy punstriped pants. The thing is, the way the model is posed, leads the viewer to assume that the model is wearing trousers, but it could very well be a tailored skirt.

Turn the page and the next model is wearing a black on black tux. Again, from the way the model is posed One can not tell whether the nether garment is a skirt or trousers. Of course we kknoe that the lad is wearing trou, but what if it was a a tailored skirt?

Then in the middle of the Barney's New York ad, approximately pages 30 and 31 are two Giorgio Armani ensembles. The first one has a jack and pants that appear to be velvet (or perhaps suede?). I think this look would work very well with a skirt in the same fabric.

On the opposing page is another Armani look with pants in a napped fabric. Again, I think this look would work if the pants were replaced with a skirt in the same fabric.

If you come across Men's Vogue, rifle through the pages and tell me what you think of these outfits and whether you agree that they would work well with skirts rather than pants.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

I'm just imagining the look of long skirts swapped for pants and it sounds attractive.
DavidsSkirts

Replacing Trousers with matching Skirts...

Post by DavidsSkirts »

The same idea should work with knee length skirts, worn with pantyhose or tights in winter, or on untanned legs;
and even with shorter skirts (as long as you have the legs for it..) - especially if worn with longer overcoats or leather coats - as long as everything is reasonably co-ordinated...

8)
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Replacing Trousers with matching Skirts...

Post by Peter v »

DavidsSkirts wrote:The same idea should work with knee length skirts, worn with pantyhose or tights in winter, or on untanned legs;
and even with shorter skirts (as long as you have the legs for it..) - especially if worn with longer overcoats or leather coats - as long as everything is reasonably co-ordinated...

8)
I agree with the observations from sapphire, excellent, get some examples made up for the very next catwalk. They'll be in the shops before next week.

I imagine about knee length or threekwarter length skirts. And WHY NOT??

David has it right. and I agree fully. With such beautifully fitted tailored suits or other very good fitting clothing it would be a must to have the right legs for it. not everybody can wear skirts and look good, if only because the legs are just awful. When your legs are suitable, ie they look "good", they can be suitable dressed with stokkings, pantys of all soorts. Looks "hot"even on men, and is fun to wear. The very possibility to do something with your legs makes it very feasable to look VERY sharp, even sexy as a man in a suit with skirt. Women have those suits a long time, so why not men? A suitable build is of course very helpful for a good look.

Peter v.
PS, I say regularly, look at the side of my skirt, and imagine it is a pair of shorts, easy, so if that's no problem, why ( do we think ) then is wearing a skirt stil a problem to many people? And Isn't it a shame those beautiful suits are not readily available for the office go'ers, who really need top class fitting suit style clothes. The acceptance of skirts would surely make a breakthrough if executives were to wear them. :)
Last edited by Peter v on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Peter v.
Thanks for the nice comments!

I hope to convert the back bedroom into a sewing room and hope to try making a skirt suit.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

sapphire wrote:Peter v.
Thanks for the nice comments!

I hope to convert the back bedroom into a sewing room and hope to try making a skirt suit.
My pleasure :wink:

Can't wait to see them. Although, the suits with skirts are already there, all we need is a few men who have the right posture to fit perfectly in them, then show them. Because the suits only have to differ slightly in shape to fit the man better. The top half wel tailored, body hugging, and of course, the skirt made to the more straight men's waist / hip.

Just a small joke, in the Netherlands, we call sewing "Naaien".
You are converting a bedroom to a sewing room, or a "Naai kamer"
Well, also "naaien" in Dutch means having sex. :shock: :? :lol: :lol:
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.