Here are some samples of my styling.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

So what do think of this guy's style?

Awesome, this is true freestyle
38%
This is a good start
19%
It is ok
14%
odd
14%
freaky
10%
too feminine
5%

Total votes: 21

Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Here are some samples of my styling.

Post by Pythos »

After a bit of a day changing in and out of outfits, I think I got a good cross section of the kinds of styles I wear, and would like the freedom to wear as a straight male.

During this photo shoot, I learned that hose, are quite a chore to get in and out of over and over. But I avoided destroying any. My hair was pretty much uncooperative, so it looks crummy. This was also my fist photoshoot so my facial expressions were kinda goofy.

I also learned something about one of my favorite catsuits which I was unaware of.

I would appreciate your input. I know some of what I have is pretty odd, but it is still worn in a manner that leaves little mistake that I am male, just in a skirt. Aside from the skirts and hose, everything else is either unisex, or masculine wear.

Here is the link.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559708630BvuQSK
dragonfly63

Post by dragonfly63 »

Hi Dear
MY first post! I looked at your photos and think your style is great . You seem to know what works for you and your body shape.Only suggestion would be to pick a top that complements the bottom better. I'd like to see a few bold colored tops with the black skirts. Overall you look great! :D
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

76 viewing, One reply? wow.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

To be honest, I was disappointed with the photos. I was hoping that you would illustrate your fashion tastes in regard to skirts - but I see that most of your photos there are of leggings or tights. What put me off completely though were your photos of yourself in tights - illustrating that you don't wear a thong. Put simply - I am not interested whether you wear a thong or otherwise.

I would rather see some simple photos of skirts that you have worn.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

point taken, offensive photos removed.

But you have no opinion on the skirted pictures? The other photos swawed your opinion that much? As far as the leggings pictures are concerned, is that not freestyle fashion?

I would hope you give the set a better chance now that the offensive pics have been removed. (now that I learned how to do it:)

I am still astonished at the number of viewings, and the number of responses. Even if others were offeneded, why don't they speak up?
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Pythos wrote: As far as the leggings pictures are concerned, is that not freestyle fashion? Even if others were offeneded, why don't they speak up?
Sorry! I'll add an observation then. I'm not making personal remarks, just commenting on that particular 'look'.

The whole leggings thing looks like you're at/en route to/from some "Keep-Fit" class or gym - to me, it doesn't convey 'freestyle fashion' at all - just the "can't be bothered to change look" that you're likely to see in the bar, after a fitness session.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Wow!, really. Even when worn with regular shirts? Well, that pretty much sucks. This is really the first time that I have been able to get opinions outside of my circle of friends. I may have to reconsider my style, and throw out the leggings.

Very disappointing, but much appreciated criticism.

But then again, is a person in jeans not bothered to change out of their work clothes? Or at least wasn't that the case.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I'm just back from a weekend away, so this is my first take after a quick browse.

Some of the catsuit photos work well in a "fitness" manner - unlike Merlin's comments (we all differ...) I believe that while it's less extreme, it works well, and is a look that we should have as freestyle fashion (not many pursue it at the moment). IMAO, it IS freestyle fashion.

On the skirted photos, I liked the skirts that fell to just above the knee. This, to me, seemed to be in balance with your figure (you seem tall and slim). I also thought that the black skirts (in matt) worked very well.

The shoes? They work decently, but there's something that is not quite right...not sure, so cannot go further with my comments. Perhaps a little bulky; shoes are always a tricky area, though. One shoe that I've seem work well is a form-fitting boot - almost like a baseball boot; it's masculine, yet has a finesse in the way it wraps around the foot. Think racing drivers boots....in black!
crfriend
Master Barista

Browser-specific websites....

Post by crfriend »

Pythos wrote:I am still astonished at the number of viewings, and the number of responses. Even if others were offeneded, why don't they speak up?
Well, I've tried twice, with two different browsers to get a look at the photographs in question, and neither of them worked. Is the hosting site dependent on Internet Explorer? (I'm in a Microsoft-free zone.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Doesn't seem to be browser dependent. I'm using Internet Explorer, old version, on an old machine.

I can view a picture or two and then IE crashes.

I think the problem is here at home.

Diana
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I would hope you give the set a better chance now that the offensive pics have been removed. (now that I learned how to do it:)
OK - I've had another good look - and this is my opinion.

I don't like the 'catsuit look'. To me it just looks as if you are undressed - or if you are on your way to a cycle race or something. Same thing with the leggings. I think you have some great leggings there, but to attempt to wear them on their own as practical garments is a non starter in my opinion.

I like several of your skirts - in particular, two of them. The 'leather skirt' looks very good - but in my judgement, by far and away the best skirt there is the 'short pleated wrap' - where I think you have built a really great (all black) outfit - and it really suits you.

By the way - I know you said that this was a first attempt at compiling a photo record of your skirt fashions, so I can forgive the untidy background. But in future, if it is possible, try and take photos of yourself against a plain(ish) background - as too much clutter in the photos distracts from the central object.

PS - for those having problems seeing the photos - I am using Firefox and it all worked OK for me.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Thank you for the comment from the past two people.

Christopher, I have to say the leather, and the black wrap skirts are also high on my list. The gray skirt look is also in there.

As for the leggings and catsuit look looking as if I am going to some kind of athletic event, well, I have to dissagree with the really shiny one, worn with the belt. As far as looking undressed is concerned, I have never been told that, but yea, I suppose it does.

Still compared to baggy and saggy pants, I think all these looks look better.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, I finally found a paleolitic version of Netscape that allowed me to get a look at the pictures (although the rest of the page didn't render as intended, and even on a fractional T-3 at work was painfully slow).

I like most of the skirt looks, especially the "business casual" one. The black pleated wrap was also very nice.

The main detractor, in my opinion was the ankle-boots; they tend to mess up the line of the leg and look a bit on the dowdy side. I think that lighter footwear works better with skirts, but that, too, is just my opinion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

The problem I have with foot wear is, what is too masculine, and what is too feminine. I refuse to wear pumps, and heels, because those are very feminine. Sandals are also lumped into that category.

Most men's shoes are clunky in appearance. So I am really left with little option.

Here is an idea, now that I have shown my style, how about others here post their own up. Not just one pic, but a bunch like I did.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Well, I finally found a paleolitic version of Netscape . . .
Good grief! get Firefox for goodness sake - and I speak as a dedicated Netscape fan.
As far as looking undressed is concerned, I have never been told that, but yea, I suppose it does.
I didn't mean undressed as in - nekkid. I meant undressed as in - not finished putting your clothes on. :wink:
Still compared to baggy and saggy pants, I think all these looks look better.
I agree - but then, compared to saggy/baggy trousers - anything would look better!
The problem I have with foot wear is, what is too masculine, and what is too feminine. I refuse to wear pumps, and heels, because those are very feminine. Sandals are also lumped into that category.

Most men's shoes are clunky in appearance. So I am really left with little option.
Again, I agree. Most of the time I wear trainers, but several women have told me that the socks-with-trainers look is a no-no and so I am on the lookout for a new footwear style. I am now buying boots made for women - as they are not as clunky as male boots. I'm finding that if I stick to female boots without heels (I don't like high heels anyway), either calf high or knee high, then they look great with a mini.

I've got 2 pairs of boots now and am buying others (eBay). One pair that I have are lace up suede sort of 'BoHo' boots and they are a great hit with people. I have had several women (complete strangers) come up to me and ask me where I got the boots. They didn't say a word about my skirt. Huh! <flounces off . . . >
Here is an idea, now that I have shown my style, how about others here post their own up. Not just one pic, but a bunch like I did.
I haven't got a 'style'. The outfits that I have are just evolving as I buy stuff and learn more about what suits me and what doesn't. If you click on the www button in my posts you can check out the photos that I have on my MySpace page. Sorry about the socks . . . .