Here are some samples of my styling.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

So what do think of this guy's style?

Awesome, this is true freestyle
38%
This is a good start
19%
It is ok
14%
odd
14%
freaky
10%
too feminine
5%

Total votes: 21

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

ChristopherJ wrote:...several women have told me that the socks-with-trainers look is a no-no
Interesting that, it gets trotted out occasionally but I really don't see why. Trainers were derived from athletic shoes, most athletes wear socks of some kind, so why the problem? :? *

Anyway, we're discussing fashion freedom, not fashion rules. Why don't we just rule skirts with male legs as a fashion no no and be done with it? :D :shock: :D

Have fun,

Ian.

* I did a very unscientific survey at lunchtime. I counted the people in trainers going into a store with socks on and without; the score (in the ten minutes or so I was waiting for my wife) was:
Trainers without socks - 7
Trainers with socks - 24
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Interesting that, it gets trotted out occasionally but I really don't see why. Trainers were derived from athletic shoes, most athletes wear socks of some kind, so why the problem?
Apparently its the socks Ian. Not the trainers - they are not the problem. It's the socks - particularly with leggings or tights.

I see what they mean - I think. But I am a mere man - what do I know? :?

As several different women have said this to me on different occasions, I can only presume that somewhere in the female DNA is a sock-hater gene. Or something like that . . .
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
crfriend
Master Barista

Shoes... Don't get me started on shoes....

Post by crfriend »

Pythos wrote:The problem I have with foot wear is, what is too masculine, and what is too feminine. I refuse to wear pumps, and heels, because those are very feminine. Sandals are also lumped into that category.

Most men's shoes are clunky in appearance. So I am really left with little option.
I feel your pain on that one -- guys' shoes are viscerally boring. But, pretty much anything other than dress shoes, loafers, work boots, and trainers are pretty much out. Mens' sandals seem to be universally hideous and, I think, are unfit to be seen in except in certain contexts.

What the heck to do?....
Pythos wrote:Here is an idea, now that I have shown my style, how about others here post their own up. Not just one pic, but a bunch like I did.
Like ChristopherJ, I don't really have a "style" of my own yet; it's still developing, and even at that, it's more an aesthetic than a style. I've not confined myself to any given type of skirt (I wear all different lengths in appropriate settings), which I think is a good thing; what I'm starting to have problems with is what to wear "up top" other than my usual assortment of dress shirts (I don't wear tee-shirts in public; it's a grungy look and I don't like to look that way) and mens' waistcoats.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Pythos wrote: I refuse to wear pumps, and heels, because those are very feminine. Sandals are also lumped into that category.
You've got me terribly confused here. Sandals? Lads wore sandals, as did lasses, but by late teens, sandals became an almost exclusive 'men only' preserve - still are, as far as I can ascertain. When lasses migrated to womanhood, they switched to something only vaguely similar, but still with (rather puny) straps called 'sling-backs', or something like that. No, sandals are still one of the last bastions of 'machismo' (probably to do with all those films about Ancient Romans and Greeks, etc., etc.). :wink:
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

The only sandals for men I have seen have been very clunky looking, with thick straps, usually secured by velcro which would murder hose. I don't think they would look good with skirts.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

ChristopherJ wrote:
Interesting that, it gets trotted out occasionally but I really don't see why. Trainers were derived from athletic shoes, most athletes wear socks of some kind, so why the problem?
Apparently its the socks Ian. Not the trainers - they are not the problem. It's the socks - particularly with leggings or tights.

I see what they mean - I think. But I am a mere man - what do I know? :?

As several different women have said this to me on different occasions, I can only presume that somewhere in the female DNA is a sock-hater gene. Or something like that . . .
Christopher,

Back when I had a tan survival Utilikilt, I frequently did white or light colored trouser socks with athletic/running shoes. Legs were shaved, of course. Had quite a few women compliment me on the outfit... Not one woman thought it was strange, nor did any guy that I ran into. Family, different, of course - they wanted me to wear black or navy blue kilt hose with said Utilikilt. Guess they thought it looked too femme. Same family prefers it when I have no facial hair and/or long hair. Yet, I don't get ma'amed at all when I have mid-back to waist length hair, and facial hair. Doesn't matter if I'm wearing some form of trousers, a skirt, or a kilt. 17 years ago, I had short hair and no facial hair. Wore jeans and t-shirts all the time. Got ma'amed a couple times in two weeks.

Anyway, Pythos, most of the outfits look decent. Personally, I'd stick with skirts that are a bit wider in the hem, since they tend to look a bit better on a male body. I don't particularly care for the leggings and catsuit outfits, but that's just me. I'm still kinda stuck in the middle between freestyle and braveheart, where I have been since I first came here in 2002.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I think all the outfits look great. But I'm biased cuz I don't like bare legs. :wink: Love the first pictures in the black/silver outfit, man that looks COMFY! Way to go Pythos.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

It looks like you had a lot of fun going through your wardrobe and combinations, Pythos. You have quite a variety from the catsuits that look appropriate for clubbing to the broomstick skirt with yin yang shirt that is more like street wear. I think the trick for you will be knowing when each outfit fits the circumstances.

Quiet Mouse
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shoes... Don't get me started on shoes....

Post by Peter v »

crfriend wrote:
Pythos wrote:The problem I have with foot wear is, what is too masculine, and what is too feminine. I refuse to wear pumps, and heels, because those are very feminine. Sandals are also lumped into that category.

Most men's shoes are clunky in appearance. So I am really left with little option.
I feel your pain on that one -- guys' shoes are viscerally boring. But, pretty much anything other than dress shoes, loafers, work boots, and trainers are pretty much out. Mens' sandals seem to be universally hideous and, I think, are unfit to be seen in except in certain contexts.

What the heck to do?....
Pythos wrote:Here is an idea, now that I have shown my style, how about others here post their own up. Not just one pic, but a bunch like I did.
Like ChristopherJ, I don't really have a "style" of my own yet; it's still developing, and even at that, it's more an aesthetic than a style. I've not confined myself to any given type of skirt (I wear all different lengths in appropriate settings), which I think is a good thing; what I'm starting to have problems with is what to wear "up top" other than my usual assortment of dress shirts (I don't wear tee-shirts in public; it's a grungy look and I don't like to look that way) and mens' waistcoats.
It's easy, just start wearing what the women are wearing with skirts :shock: :? 8) :lol: they have had years of expoerience, and they despite that also just follow what is put in front of them by the fashion people. Ofcourse not all shirts etc fit, because the arms are thinner, there is less give on the shoulders, and you don't have to be a full blown cross dresser either, shop around in every shop you can find, at least if you have the time, as most people have jobs and familys. By shopping around, you may find just that what you are looking for. It's not easy, but we know that. Finding tailor made men's shirts, with necks that are made to be worn open as women's are, would give the stunning effect often needed to give your skirt that compleet good look.

Shoes are nearly every skirt wearing man's nightmares.
Although freestylers go very far, shoes still are a problem, being not only narrow, ( here in the Netherlands) have very often high heels, and are not all of a pleasing style, for we men. There are some very suitable models, if they are in your foot size, and if they are available, and if you are then willing to pay the high price they cost. I have the very same problem. And am thinking about wearing pumps if I can find a pair suitable, but not because they are pumps, because the are nearly the only shoes that look right with skirts. It's time we had other shoes made for men. Pumps look good, but are not orthopedic. So the look of pumps, a suitable sole, with a thich heel, 3 cm high, should be great, looks good, walks good. So who's gonna make them, and market them for a reasonable price?

Boots, either women's or men's, can look good, but they are not my style, I have thought about them, but even they are in women's shoes often very "jazzed up" which isn't to my taste. They are more difficult to combine in my opinion, with skirts.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Here are some samples of my styling.

Post by Peter v »

Pythos wrote:After a bit of a day changing in and out of outfits, I think I got a good cross section of the kinds of styles I wear, and would like the freedom to wear as a straight male.

During this photo shoot, I learned that hose, are quite a chore to get in and out of over and over. But I avoided destroying any. My hair was pretty much uncooperative, so it looks crummy. This was also my fist photoshoot so my facial expressions were kinda goofy.

I also learned something about one of my favorite catsuits which I was unaware of.

I would appreciate your input. I know some of what I have is pretty odd, but it is still worn in a manner that leaves little mistake that I am male, just in a skirt. Aside from the skirts and hose, everything else is either unisex, or masculine wear.

Here is the link.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559708630BvuQSK
Hallo Pythos, really love those foto's, especially those of you in the asian dress. looks really "hot"( no sexual intent)

Note: Let us not forget dresses on this site, as I think they too are part of the skirt wearing experience.

The body suit pics are a bit less my taste, but why not? we're just not used to see them any more, except for sports use.

Shoes are still the biggest problem for skirt wearers. I think that every one except the most manly skirt wearers find getting the whole outfit looking good a problem, the look depending on getting suitable shoes.
No wonder women want a thousand pairs in their closet.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Pythos wrote:The only sandals for men I have seen have been very clunky looking, with thick straps, usually secured by velcro which would murder hose. I don't think they would look good with skirts.
I have seen "TEVA" sandals for women, with colourful thinner straps, so if you have smaller feet than men usually have, they may fit. In the summer months that may be a solution. At least no high / er heel problem there.

I had my eye on beautiful women's sandals this summer, but I only started wearing late this summer, and then they had dissappeerd from the shop. They did have heels about 4 cm high.

Peter v
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Christopher, how do you access the foto's on the my space page?

Peter v
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Shoes... Don't get me started on shoes....

Post by crfriend »

[...] just start wearing what the women are wearing with skirts :shock: :?
It's not quite that easy. Womens' tops are vastly different than mens' (save the ubiquitous tee-shirt) due to the differing construction of men and women, and that's a good thing (the variances in physique). So they typically don't work on blokes. Bottoms are considerably more "forgiving" than tops and, in many cases, actually be swapped between the sexes.

In point of fact, I do not want to look like a woman; it's not who I am, not what I am, nor do I desire to project an image that isn't me. So, something has to give, and merely donning stuff from the "other side of the aisle" isn't going to cut it for me. Fit is only one bugaboo when it comes to "womens'" clothes on me -- I'm huge by womanly standards (vertically), and everything else is pretty much in proportion. That's why an ankle-length skirt on my wife is a calf-length one on me. The longest one I have is an ankle-length number that is actually a womens' tall design that's intended to be worn with heels!
Shoes are nearly every skirt wearing man's nightmares.
Although freestylers go very far, shoes still are a problem, being not only narrow, ( here in the Netherlands) have very often high heels, and are not all of a pleasing style, for we men.
"Dainty" shoes are simply not available for my (US) size 12 trotters, so I'm forced to do the best that I can with mens' styles. I find that dress shoes work best, as they have the narrowest profile, and I particularly like loafers (slip-ons). I detest anything that even approaches my ankles, so boots are right out in my book. Interestingly, given the size of my feet, I could wear fairly large heels and not stress the geometry that badly, but they're simply unavailable for men. Besides, at 6'4" already, a 3" heel (fairly mild, w/o any sort of platform sole) would put me at 6'7" and make nuzzling with my dear wife more of a "chore" than it already is. ;)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Here are some samples of my styling.

Post by Peter v »

Hi crfriend, you only lend women's clothes which compliment the way you want to look. Women's clothes are more tailored to the body than men's.
They also have a creative flair that is lacking with men's wear.
Of course much top clothes don't fit the larger men's body.

There's only one way to do it good, and that's the expensive way. Have anything you want tailor made to your specs. As that's just fantasy for most of us, we look at clothing which we can actually buy. And fits our needs, and then choose to fit our desired look. Clothing from the women's shop can be very neutral, even manly.

There are some shoe manufacturers who produce large sizes in women's shoes, and maybe even women's models specifically with men's sizes for the travestite world. They are not usually found in your around the corner shoe shop. It's about time shoe manufacturers realised the potential for sleeker, nicer shoes for men, still retaining safe, sound functional soles and construction. With only slight heels, max 5 cm. But until then, we have to look everywhere we can to find that something else we really want, or what looks like it.

Peter v.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Christopher, how do you access the foto's on the my space page?
I think you have to be a member of MySpace, Peter. Although I'm not certain about that. Anyhow to be a member is free and only takes a minute to sign up - so it is worth doing. Then just click on the PICS link under the photograph on any Profile page on My Space.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .