Figuring out what Freestyling encompasses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Figuring out what Freestyling encompasses

Post by AMM »

Skirt Chaser wrote:Are fashion freestylers always shopping the other side of the aisle?
No.

There's nothing interesting on either side of the aisle any more. :(

-- AMM
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Thanks for the history, Bob. I'd been meaning to get around to asking for a "tell us the background of the Cafe" story too and that covers it already.

The idea of freestylers being "not just kilts" people helps me get the concept down. My original feeling was people that wear whatever they feel like be it a stovepipe hat or Liberace style glitz. On the one hand those sort of people can be fighting an acceptance battle unrelated to gender, just style.

Frestylers here though have a different cause, they are arguing for clothing appropriate to the situation being applied to everyone and that to me seems a far nobler cause than the guy who wants to wear his ski jacket to a formal dinner.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Hi Emerald,
I agree about the tailored suit with the man jacket and pleated skirt that you mention above.

Not only could Carl wear any color shirt, but he could also wear vests in luscious satins, brocades and velvets.

However, I have to nix the 3 inch heels. Carl is already 6feet 4 inches. With 3 inch heels I'd have a great view of his armpits, and I'd rather see his face. I'm 5 foot 6 inches.

Sapphire
crfriend
Master Barista

What was that dull "thud"?

Post by crfriend »

sapphire wrote:I have to nix the 3 inch heels. Carl is already 6feet 4 inches. With 3 inch heels I'd have a great view of his armpits [...]
The other thing to that is that with an extra three inches I'd be in much-increased danger of hitting my head on things. I'm a clutz and always have been, but fortunately I usully only have to worry about hitting things in two dimensions; extending that worry to three would be asking for trouble.

Besides, I stick out in the crowd enough already.

But, that's not to say that I don't necessarily like the idea. Back in the late '70s and very early '80s (before the real rot set in) I had a couple of pairs of shoes with 2"+ heels on 'em and liked them a lot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

So Carl, want to catch an Amtrak down to NYC and see what they have off 7th Ave for suiting?
Diana
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brandy »

I pulled this from a previous post and it still sums things up pretty good, seperating boys and girls.

-- Brandy

I did find a quote from another website today, this is one high point in a generally negative “men in skirts” thread. The last sentence sums up nicely the differences between “man in skirt”- me, and other males who have gender identity issues.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f4 ... 55-14.html

Yasmin writes:
^ True, and while "menswear" trends are a bit more common in women's wear than "metro sexual" trends are in men's wear, it's like the same rule applies:

Go ahead and add some other elements of the other gender's cultural territory (eg., males, put on some nail polish, females, slap on a tie) but, if you don't want to be considered in drag, this part is essential, you MUST pair these territory-breaking pieces with something very traditionally "your" gender territory. Ladies, wear sexy makeup (maybe red lips) with your tie (standard men's wear look), and gentlemen, wear masculine/aggressive looking clothing with your nail polish (emo, punk).

If we do not make it clear to the observer that we are intentionally taking from BOTH territories, it's not surprising if the observer concludes we are trying to switch camps. Typically, when a person is decked out in only what the other gender traditionally wears, they really are trying to identify as the other gender.

-- Brandy
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

hym

Post by SkirtedViking »

Brandy,I disagree with that stuff they are claiming.This is applied only to men that should put so called masculine items.Some women wear at least in my country(and as far as I know rest of Europe) men's trousers combined with men's t-shirts and shoes without anyone batting an eye.I-ve seen it many,many times.This is the same double standard that is not in favour of the male species.While women enjoy wearing pretty much whatever they please we are stuck here looking for the so called masculinity that in my opinion is something entirely inner.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

don't forget brandy, women wear shoes that were once men only shoes. Ties were never women's wear until recently, I have seen women in full on tuxes.

There is a double standard, that I personally think needs to go away.