"Man" Bags?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Man" Bags?

Post by pleated »

I thought the most ridiculous of these terms must be the term "mandal", until I came across a reference to "manboots" :roll:

Sandals have been worn by men for thousands of years.
As for "man-bags" I prefer to keep valuables, keys, phone, wallet etc. on my person but I always bring a fold-up "tote bag" with me for groceries etc. I used to use a shoulder bag to carry bulky items like cameras and lenses.

(edited for spacing)
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

My secretary needed my credit card at a time when I was not in my office, so I told her just to use her key and liberate it - she will find it in my purse.

Apparently this really struck her, 'cause she sort of giggled about "my purse". I simply reminded her that "purse" is derived from "bourse" which is the French word for stock market: The place where the money is.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Here's a better picture of my bag: Image
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I'm in Japan at the moment and the use and availability of bags for men appears to be high. They are very smart too; I took a note of an Italian bag and will investigate on my return to Europe.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I finally got sick and tired of fumbling for change at stores, the lumps in my pockets, and having to transfer things from pocket to pocket when I changed clothing. I also remember ruining a cell phone that was in a pocket when I washed the garment. Also I got tired of coins falling out of my pockets when I picked up pants or a skirt. So now I use a small black woman's shoulder bag. My wife really had a fit when I started carrying it.

Added section: For casual everyday wear I got a cheap black nylon cross-body bag and that is more convenient than a simple shoulder bag. It also looks a bit more masculine.

Now the only thing I carry in a pocket are my keys.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

PURSE is to MAN-BAG as SKIRT is to KILT, maybe?

I love carrying a purse especially while traveling. There is a need to carry a bunch of stuff sometimes, including cellphone, GPS, satellite radio, checkbook, keys, pen, notebook or pad (of paper!), multitool, and medications. If wearing pants, usually cash, coins, and wallet go in the pockets and everything else goes in the purse. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the purses, and that's fun.

For me the cross-body style works best especially while actively moving about, so the purses have long straps. They can hang off one shoulder also, but the strap often slips off. I'm not sure how women keep the straps from slipping.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Well, as a Chiropractor, I can tell you that the woman will have chronic muscle spasm in her scapular elevators resulting in chronic shoulder/neck problems with headaches and/or arm problems. Purse straps plus high heels it is no wonder more women see Chiropractors than men.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

A lot of women carry everything but the kitchen sink in their purses. I carry only a few more things than I would carry if I stuffed my things into pocket. I think there would be fewer shoulder problems if women did not stuff their purses so full.

A woman can carry a 6 cell flashlight, a 44 magnum handgun, and a grenade in her purse. Does she need to take anything out of her purse to defend herself? No, all she has to do is hit the would-be assailant over the head with her loaded purse ! :D

John
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

---& I know some women who could easily handle a 454 Casull
JohnH wrote:A woman can carry a 6 cell flashlight, a 44 magnum handgun, and a grenade in her purse.

I realise that I haven't added my bit to the "man bag" debate. I have two bags that I used when I wore sarongs (which don't have pockets) but I love pockets for the same reason that Sapphire does so any skirt I have has to have capacious pockets. I did, however buy, a couple of years ago, a dark tan leather shoulder purse that looks quite masculine, which I saw in a charity shop and which brings my total to three.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Lawrence de Grande

Post by Lawrence de Grande »

I find myself carrying so many things, (i.e.; cell phone, meds, wallet, checkbook, e-reader, etc.), now that pockets aren't enough so I carry bag of sorts. Usually something in black leather because it works with every wardrobe. I prefer one with a long strap to be worn over-the-shoulder be it man-bag or purse.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

The woman who made all of my purses/bags is working on making a new line in leather. I've been talking to her about a nice cross body bag to replace my now 35 year old leather attache case. I think I carry the last attache seen on the streets of San Francisco. :shock:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Attache case, now that is a blast from the past. Before that there were brief cases for the up and coming young exec.
Must admit to not having seen an "attache" for some years now but I have seen a guy carrying a briefcase in Aberdeen lately.
He's not skirted, not terribly young and I'd guess the case was made in the 50s or 60s. Probably just a glorified lunch pale.
Steve.
On topic, I just wear a jacket with copious pockets.
I really don't like "man" as a prefix to any accessory or piece of clothing.
No "thing" has gender.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

STEVIE wrote:Attache case, now that is a blast from the past. Before that there were brief cases for the up and coming young exec.
Must admit to not having seen an "attache" for some years now but I have seen a guy carrying a briefcase in Aberdeen lately.
He's not skirted, not terribly young and I'd guess the case was made in the 50s or 60s. Probably just a glorified lunch pale.
Steve.
As is mine, I call it my executive lunch box. :lol: It contains my newspaper for reading on the bus, sandwich for lunch, morning and afternoon cookies (biscuits for residents of the olde country), assorted Amtrak schedules (I'm the office train geek) and a San Francisco map with transit routes and schedules.
STEVIE wrote:On topic, I just wear a jacket with copious pockets.
The four days a week I wear a suit to work my wallet and daily calendar reside in the breast pockets of my jacket. On Fridays and weekends they go in the purse.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

My wife bought me a leather cross-body purse for my birthday from Nomorerack.com.

It has many pockets so I can keep things organized.

Other men have expressed interest in my purse but I have not been able to find that item on that website. Nomorerack handles remnants at greatly marked down prices.

John
Tim Stannard

Post by Tim Stannard »

I tend to agree that the term "man" ought not to be applied to "things".
I have a bag. Actually I have a few, a black leather one bought in Paris many years ago, with sections for pens, a phone and odds and sods.
A canvas bag from Debenhams in Manchester, that hangs off my shoulder.
A bum bag, which I often use for traveling as I have been known to leave a bag in a bar with all my stuff in,
if it is around my waist, I wont do that again.

At the end of the day, a bag is a very practical item for a guy, and the way mobiles are going, they will be a necessity Phablets etc, you aint going to get one of those in yer pocket.

Oh, and I call them all the same thing, My bag.
While I was sitting and reading,
a thought just entered my head,
If I can't wear a skirt while I'm living,
I certainly can't when I'm dead!