"Man" Bags?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Man" Bags?

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Purses (not man bags!!!!) are especially nice while traveling particularly when carrying things you want near you and not in checked baggage. On the train my purse carries a non-smart-phone, Garmin GPS, timetable sheet, pens, medications, small pocket knife, e-tickets, receipts, and sometimes camera or snacks. On the plane (when I MUST fly) it has phone, GPS, pens, checkbook, medications, on-board food/meal, e-ticket, jewelry, house keys. And if my skirt has no pockets then it also contains wallet, currency, & coins.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Purses (not man bags!!!!) are especially nice while traveling particularly when carrying things you want near you and not in checked baggage.
I'll second the sentiment for using the term "purse" instead of "man bag".

From ChrisM, it turns out that "purse" is a corruption of the French term "burse" which means "where the money is kept". Note that the maritime officer in charge of monetary matters aboard a vessel is known as the Purser, and to pay out is sometimes referred to as disbursing. So, there's good historical precedent to use the old term and still have it be plenty manly.

I rather like my purse. It's a custom design, to my specifications, executed by Sapphire in crochet using household twine. It holds what I need, and when it gets dirty the strap and baubles detach and it goes in the wash with everything else. Done.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Can we please stop calling them "man bags" or "murses" and also eliminate the word "meggings"? It is so ridiculous that new names need to be invented for items like purses that already have a name simply because the item is associated with women. Let me give you good example of the absurdity:

Backpacks were originally designed for men to carry supplies and equipment. Then women started using them. Why didn't we start calling them "womenpacks"? Do you get my point?

It all has to do with male insecurity. Males have been taught from a very early age that any feminine behavior, emulating anything that a woman does, or using articles of clothing or accessories normally associated with women is degrading. That is the reason why you see menswear for a women, but you never see woman's wear for men.

We claim that men and women are equal, but it is all just lip service. It is a patriarchal society and women have lower status and in some environments are still regarded as breeding stock. When men and women actuality reach the point to true equality, we will not need names such as murses, man bags, meggings, etc. In addition, men will be able to walk down the street wearing a women's skirt/dress without facing ridicule, ostracization, loss of job, or physical abuse. Unfortunately that time is still very far in the future and I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

We can help to advance the cause of fashion freedom for men and gender equality by not using these ridiculuous names. Let's use the terms "purse", "handbag", or "bag" and forget about ridiculous names provided by the media such as "murse", or "manbag".
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I second that idea. Also there are men with enlarged breasts who really need to wear bras such as myself. There is nothing more disgusting than to see a man with unsupported breasts flopping about because "it's not manly to wear a bra".
jamie001 wrote:It all has to do with male insecurity. Males have been taught from a very early age that any feminine behavior, emulating anything that a woman does, or using articles of clothing or accessories normally associated with women is degrading.
It would be good if that training could get to be considered child abuse. This male insecurity leads to all kinds of problems. Thank goodness in my case the only direct relative who had this notion was my maternal grandfather, and all he had were daughters.

John
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

jamie001 wrote:Can we please stop calling them "man bags" or "murses" and also eliminate the word "meggings"? It is so ridiculous that new names need to be invented for items like purses that already have a name simply because the item is associated with women. Let me give you good example of the absurdity:

Backpacks were originally designed for men to carry supplies and equipment. Then women started using them. Why didn't we start calling them "womenpacks"? Do you get my point?

It all has to do with male insecurity. Males have been taught from a very early age that any feminine behavior, emulating anything that a woman does, or using articles of clothing or accessories normally associated with women is degrading. That is the reason why you see menswear for a women, but you never see woman's wear for men.

We claim that men and women are equal, but it is all just lip service. It is a patriarchal society and women have lower status and in some environments are still regarded as breeding stock. When men and women actuality reach the point to true equality, we will not need names such as murses, man bags, meggings, etc. In addition, men will be able to walk down the street wearing a women's skirt/dress without facing ridicule, ostracization, loss of job, or physical abuse. Unfortunately that time is still very far in the future and I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

We can help to advance the cause of fashion freedom for men and gender equality by not using these ridiculuous names. Let's use the terms "purse", "handbag", or "bag" and forget about ridiculous names provided by the media such as "murse", or "manbag".
You are 100% spot-on on the issues surrounding male insecurity and women's status.

On the issue of what terminology to use - on this side of the Atlantic the word "purse" refers to a very small bag usually the same size as, or smaller than, a wallet. They are barely big enough to hold some banknotes and coins, and possibly a couple of keys, and usually someone will keep their purse either in their pocket or inside their handbag.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

jamie001 wrote:We can help to advance the cause of fashion freedom for men and gender equality by not using these ridiculuous names. Let's use the terms "purse", "handbag", or "bag" and forget about ridiculous names provided by the media such as "murse", or "manbag".
Right on! That's exactly how I feel when I see such ungainly proposals as "male unbifurcated garment" in order to avoid admitting that one wears a skirt or dress.
pleated wrote:On the issue of what terminology to use - on this side of the Atlantic the word "purse" refers to a very small bag usually the same size as, or smaller than, a wallet.
Ah, didn't realize that. And now that you say that, I realize that "purse < handbag < shoulder bag" is a natural progression of terms in ascending order of size. Perhaps "clutch" would be even smaller than "purse".

THREAD DRIFT ALERT! As long as you're educating us on terminology that differs on each side of the pond, could you clear up something else for me? I was telling a friend in Scotland that a sleeveless tank top dress I wear in the summer doesn't need to be put away for cold weather because I can also use it as a jumper dress -- by which I mean worn over a long-sleeve shirt like this:

But then I realized, "jumper" means something totally different to y'all, what we call "sweater". So, what would the UK equivalent of a jumper dress be called?
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote:[...]I realize that "purse < handbag < shoulder bag" is a natural progression of terms in ascending order of size. Perhaps "clutch" would be even smaller than "purse".
I hear the term "purse" used to describe things from as small as a "coin purse" (a small bag for carrying metal change to protect adjacent items and to keep it all in one place) to outright large handbags. So, in this context I think that "purse < clutch < handbag < shoulder-bag" might be more apt -- but it's all down to regional usage, and that can vary all over the place.

Also, how one uses the article has a bearing. My "purse", 6" x 11", custom-build, gets routinely carried as a clutch but also has a (chain) shoulder-strap so can be worn cross-body. I have another, handed down from Sapphire, which is a bit smaller and which used to have a strap so it could function as a shoulder-bag albeit only on one side of the body. The strap failed and I replaced it with a longer one so I can wear it cross-body if I'm not carrying it clutch-style which I usually do.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Regardless of nomenclature, I really like the bags form Overland Equipment. They are stylish, styled unisex, and of excellent quality. Google the company website.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Ralph wrote: [snip]
But then I realized, "jumper" means something totally different to y'all, what we call "sweater". So, what would the UK equivalent of a jumper dress be called?
The dress in that photo would qualify as a 'pinafore dress' (not to be confused with the earlier use of the word 'pinafore' or 'pinny' which was a child's protective apron about 100 years ago)
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Anytime I go out I'm carrying my wallet, a set of keys, and 2 cellphones. Whenever I'm going out in a Utilikilt, I just use the pockets. But since they're huge, I balance the load so it doesn't look too strange! When I'm wearing a skirt I usually take a small backpack because pockets on most skirts are only for looks instead of practical usage. Although I've got some skirts that actually have decent sized pockets on them. Unfortunately, my 2 favorite skirts have pockets that, if you're lucky, you can get a small set of keys in them!

--Rick
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

jamie001 wrote:Can we please stop calling them "man bags" or "murses" and also eliminate the word "meggings"? It is so ridiculous that new names need to be invented for items like purses that already have a name simply because the item is associated with women. Let me give you good example of the absurdity:

I couldn't agree more. "Manbag" or "murse" sounds patently stupid. I'm damn proud to say I carry a purse (or handbag depending on what one wants to call it) on my skirt outings. I mean, really, what's the flipping big deal?
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
JamieB

Post by JamieB »

When I was on a round the world trip 11 years ago via LA.SanDiego, Honolulu, New Zealand, Australia and Western Australia. I wore a "bumbag", round my waist to carry keys, diary, wallet and passport. I did this as I was generally travelling about in Tshirt and shorts or trousers and there awa not enough room in pockets to keep all my stuff. I just wished I could have had a large bag.
A couple of week after I got home, I was shopping in Lidl's (a German low cost supermarket which is expanding business in UK) i bought an over the shoulder bag which had various compartments in it and it measured 8 ins tall x 5 ins wide and 4 ins thick and worn woth a broad strap diagonally over the shoulder. To me this ws the answer to my prayer as it carries daiary, wallet, cards pens, mobile phone, keys and a few other odds and ends.
For the past 11 years I have worn this when I have in casual wear and not wearing a jacket and has been one of the most useful fashion accessories I have every used.
One of the zips has now worn and I am on the lookout for a replacement.
Wee Scottie Dog
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have one by Keen about that size...will hold a good amount of stuff including my Kindle Fire in a separate pocket. Field brown in color.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Zips are definitely over rated.
First because they are designed to wear out, break or jam quite quickly;
second because I usually forget to close them anyway!
Martin
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Juat as well you wear skirts instead of trousers, then, Martin!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair