"Man" Bags?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Stuart

Re: "Man" Bags?

Post by Stuart »

BobM wrote:My dear wife bought this bag for me for Christmas...
Could you please tell us where similar bags could be purchased?

Thanks!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Not sure about Bob's bag, but I recommend the Overland Equipment website. Their bags are very unisex in style.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Stuart wrote:
BobM wrote:My dear wife bought this bag for me for Christmas...
Could you please tell us where similar bags could be purchased?

Thanks!
I believe she got it at Sears. We were looking at cross body bags there before Christmas, and it was one of several that would have been nice.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, since I last posted in this thread, I've bought a crossbody bag, but these days, I simply use a women's handbag as I don't give a rat's behind what people think when they see me with one.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I hate things in my pockets, they get heavy and start to pull and chaf. The bag I use is by "THE NORTH FACE". Can be worn over the shoulder or round the waist. The main pocket at the back is just the right size for my Samsung 10.1 tablet, the is another two zipped pockets in the front for all my other goodies. The when I go out for a day hike/walk I use a "THE NORTH FACE" Isabella day pack. Sorry the picture is too big to upload.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re:

Post by JohnH »

rick wrote:I own several man bags and find them much better and easier than pockets. Beware of leaving them in restaurants and shops I have had a few scares. I'm afraid i've fallen into the women's trap of stuufng them withm all kinf=ds of rubbish :wink:
I have the same problem too. If you aren't careful purses degenerate into portable kitchen drawers. :D

John
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Here's the inventory for the bag I most often carry:keys, wallet, pocket knife, larger lock-blade knife, LED flashlight, hand sanitizer, a ball point pen, pocket pack of tissues, half roll of Lifesavers, two cell phones (work and personal), a small folding mirror, two band-aids, and a few old receipts, ticket stubs, etc. And my key ring has six keys, a small multi-tool, and a bottle opener on it. And it isn't a large bag.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

dillon wrote:Here's the inventory for the bag I most often carry ...
I wonder how I manage to live without all that stuff!
Keys and card-wallet, that's enough for me.

Martin
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You carry a small collection of knives?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

skirtyscot wrote:You carry a small collection of knives?
Even at a nudist resort I often have a small waist pack with a swiss army knife, a pencil stub & scrap of paper, and a couple handkerchiefs (yes, a couple - one for my nose, and a cleaner one for cleaning my glasses.)

I find I use the knife blade, the saw, the scissors, and the file pretty regularly.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Even if I were trousered, I would still have half of that stuff in my pockets. I work in the field, and sharp knives are essential for cutting into stems to identify plant diseases, especially tough tobacco stalks. Plus this is the SOUTH...a man without a pocketknife may as well be naked. The other stuff just seems to make its way into my bag, but since I carry the bag only when skirted, and am most often skirted when we go out in the evenings, it is nice to have the flashlight and mirror. Also forgot to mention that I usually have a small brush or comb in the bag too...it just wasn't in there last night when i did the inventory. Ah, vanity...
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Just before going on a cruise a couple of years ago I picked up a cheap cross-body bag at a garage sale, to use as a carryon bag. Unlike most carryons nowadays it's not a half inch short of being a full suitcase; it's just thin canvas and barely big enough to hold a laptop with nothing else. Now I use it any time I leave the house -- keys, wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, prescription glasses (only needed when I'm tired and my eyes don't focus so well), cough drops for my constant sinus dripping from allergies, pens, my kindle if I know I'm going to be sitting waiting for any length of time, mp3 player with headphones if I'm going out for a walk, the grocery/to-do list for that day...

Also juggling balls, a yo-yo, and "hillbilly" fake teeth just because I have room, not because they're essential. They've come in handy a few times in doctors offices and restaurants when a bored or upset kid is staring at me.

I usually don't bother carrying the bag with me into stores and suchlike -- all I really need is my wallet and keys. But this way when I'm an hour away from home I can still have ready access to all the comforts of home (like those juggling balls) and be able to find them because they are ALWAYS in the same place. My only complaint is that it has no inner pockets, so everything gets jumbled together.
Ralph!
jolt_34500

Post by jolt_34500 »

I recently purchased something I'd like to call a modern day possible's bag or a shooters bag. It is of the modern MOLLE concept, but the idea I have for it is similar to what mountain men in the 18th and 19th century would have used it for. The inventory in it as I target shoot and took up hunting again after 30 years of not doing so consists of a powder measure, anti-seize stick, patches, a multi-tool, breech plug wrench, capper/decapper, cleaning jag, bullet molds, ladle, mirror (Compact), sewing kit, caps and primers, spare compass, etc. Of course any of these items can be changed out and other items put in pending on what I am doing. The strap is of a cross body design. The basic idea aside from it's current inventory is I can use this bag by itself or with my backpack by placing items in the shooters bag where I can retrieve an item without having to remove my backpack all of the time to get something.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I keep things simple when it comes to stuff I usually tote in my purse:

--wallet
--car keys
--house keys
--cellphone
--a pack of tissues
--a couple of ink pens
--some loose change
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

For me, when I am wearing skirts, I would carry a wallet with credit cards and folding money, some loose change, mobile phone and house keys.

On nudist beaches (on holiday), that reduces to a bum-bag with money and a key for our accommodation. (the rest is in a backpack along with kindle books, ipod, sunglasses etc)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels