CNN: Remember when Christian Bale wore a sweep of silver eyeshadow to the 'Velvet Goldmine' premier?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

CNN: Remember when Christian Bale wore a sweep of silver eyeshadow to the 'Velvet Goldmine' premier?

Post by Coder »

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/chris ... index.html

I'm not a fan of makeup in general - to each their own. I posted it because - well occasionally we wonder "why don't celebrities move the needle" much? I think it takes the right set of circumstances for a single person - no matter how famous - to cause change. Take this for example - it went "viral" after 25 years - who could have predicted? Will this cause a bunch of men to start painting their faces? Probably not - but people are/society is funny (not ha ha funny). All it takes is the right moment for something to become a trend.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: CNN: Remember when Christian Bale wore a sweep of silver eyeshadow to the 'Velvet Goldmine' premier?

Post by crfriend »

Or when a slightly unkempt presidential candidate named Richard Nixon went up against a properly primped John F. Kennedy? This is not new news. Not by a long-shot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: CNN: Remember when Christian Bale wore a sweep of silver eyeshadow to the 'Velvet Goldmine' premier?

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:20 am Or when a slightly unkempt presidential candidate named Richard Nixon went up against a properly primped John F. Kennedy? This is not new news. Not by a long-shot.
Not at all - but for some reason this one event is sparking a lot of interest all of a sudden - people are random, and I feel MIS taking off is going to be just like this - something will spark an interest and it won’t be what we’d expect.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:09 am society is funny (not ha ha funny). All it takes is the right moment for something to become a trend.
Yeah Coder, learn that trick and the mother lode is yours!
It won't be men who will create that moment in society, most will wait for society to deign to grant its permission for us to be ourselves.
Long ago, men owned their freedom and lost it.
The answer is for men to take it back and not wait for a trendy hand-me-down.
Steve.