70's men's fashion - what the heck happened since then?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

70's men's fashion - what the heck happened since then?

Post by Coder »

This is more of a vent thread.

Been watching a few 70's movies, and while I'm sure they aren't 100% accurate for what they depict, there was so much more variety, expression. Men had handbags - in fact one I saw I'd gladly carry. They wore flowered shirts, flowey clothes, and bold colors. None of this is much of a shock to me, but I've paid a bit more attention in the last few I've watched.

A thought popped into my head though. Something happened, and poof - drab complacency. Was the 70's the best time for outfits? Probably not, lots if it is a bit cringe looking at it from today's sensibilities. But it could have morphed into something better for men.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 70's men's fashion - what the heck happened since then?

Post by STEVIE »

Men went stupidly macho and conservative in the 80s and 90s is what happened.
We actually put on the straitjackets all by ourselves and are paying accordingly.
Much of what was on trend then would likely be labelled for woman or even non-binary.
70s fashions look florid now, but those were exciting times for men which we failed to build on.
We may even have made more progress toward men wearing skirts and it wasn't woman who prevented it either.
Only ourselves.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I was in may late teens in the early 70s and was quite the fashionable young man. I had tight flared trousers, shirts that could be floral or slightly shiny (with HUGE collars) and jackets with massive lapels. My hair was big, and way past my collar. Shoes were stacked heels and some guys wore platforms. I am only slightly above average height, but with these on, my head was brushing the roof upstairs on buses. I think I still have a pair of these stacked shoes somewhere but wouldn't dream of wearing them even in private! And this from a guy who spends most of his time in dresses.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:32 amWas the 70's the best time for outfits? Probably not, lots if it is a bit cringe looking at it from today's sensibilities. But it could have morphed into something better for men.
The '70s were the last time when men actually had the courage, the confidence, and the overall hope that made such experimentation possible. That the look seems "cringe-worthy" today is because we're looking at the styles through the lens of the '80s and '90s and neo-conservatism. Then they were brave and exuberant.

The '60s and '70s, for all the turbulent and troubled times they were, represented a hopeful outlook for humanity -- hope still existed in humanity, and we expressed it. They were moderately prosperous times, employment was easily had, and a single salary could support a family, sometimes quite comfortably. The conditions of the time allowed -- even encouraged -- flights of fancy, and that included fashions. This was all swept aside beginning in the 1980s with the rise of the neo-con and the reactionary; the hope and vision for a better world was lost, and the economy began to come apart in the process that ultimately resulted in the nightmare we're living in now. Hope for the future is completely gone, several tenets of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs have been stripped away, and the result is that we can no longer experiment with things as "frivolous" as fashion because we're too damned worried where our next meal is coming from or what will happen to us if we become ill.

Stevie has it correct. We all went like little lemmings to the slaughter and never even questioned it. We fell asleep at the switch. And now we're paying dearly for that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:46 am Men went stupidly macho and conservative in the 80s and 90s is what happened.
We actually put on the straitjackets all by ourselves and are paying accordingly.
Much of what was on trend then would likely be labelled for woman or even non-binary.
70s fashions look florid now, but those were exciting times for men which we failed to build on.
We may even have made more progress toward men wearing skirts and it wasn't woman who prevented it either.
Only ourselves.
Steve.
I see such a variety of views here on this forum. At one end men are being corralled, stupidly trapped by their pride, fear and what it means to be a man.
The other end is occupied by those who deny anything is happening to the same men and anyone who says otherwise is acting in an unreasonable inflammatory manner.
My eyes are wide open and I can see what's happening. I'm doing my best in my daily life to reverse that in a meaningful way.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:57 pm
I see such a variety of views here on this forum. At one end men are being corralled, stupidly trapped by their pride, fear and what it means to be a man.
The other end is occupied by those who deny anything is happening to the same men and anyone who says otherwise is acting in an unreasonable inflammatory manner.
My eyes are wide open and I can see what's happening. I'm doing my best in my daily life to reverse that in a meaningful way.
I think you are seeing human nature in all its “glory.” If there was one reason men don’t traditionally wear skirts anymore, it would be easy to understand and change.

But it ain’t easy cause there are so many complicated and intertwined reasons that differ between and within each person. Crap, the same issue can be seen by three reasonable and rational people and they will all disagree on what’s going on and offer four opinions.

That’s life.

But Coder, I love what you are doing cause you’re honest in your posts on your struggle to wear publicly. I appreciate your struggles for they have both mirrored my own, given me new ones to consider (or worry about, your call) and helped me get through my own issues. I’m no where near as far a long as you but I hope to one day stand on your shoulders.

But I also think your attitude is on par. You function at the edge of your comfort zone and use this cafe to discuss your thoughts and feelings. To receive the support that you need to grow from likeminded individuals.

Keep it up my friend, I appreciate you
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I am a product of the sixties and I embraced the colours, fashion and styles. I wore the bright colours and sti6do. What has changed for me is family being ultra conservative and stifling my creativity. I am being pushed into a little box that doesn't fit. One day I may just break out, take a whole load of my money and leave family behind. Strike out on my own and tell everyone else to F*CK *FF. When and where I don't know but it will be far, far away. Denimini, you may even see me yet.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 am I am a product of the sixties and I embraced the colours, fashion and styles. I wore the bright colours and sti6do. What has changed for me is family being ultra conservative and stifling my creativity. I am being pushed into a little box that doesn't fit. One day I may just break out, take a whole load of my money and leave family behind. Strike out on my own and tell everyone else to F*CK *FF. When and where I don't know but it will be far, far away. Denimini, you may even see me yet.
Hi Dennis,
You know my thoughts on this so let's put that to one side, you know how to reach me, anytime.
To anyone else, what is shared here is the stark truth about life for a guy in a skirt.
Anyone who tries to say there are no consequences, is lying to themselves and you.
Sadly, the only answer can be to tell "everyone else to f***K **f" in order to remain true to yourself.
Fashion freedom, comfort zones, coping strategies this is the real life cost of not conforming to societal expectation.
Sincere thanks for sharing man, I can comprehend the pressure behind what you have said.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I am still hurting so will take a time-out for a while rat her than say things that may come back to me. Prince Hurry, I ain't. I have more maturity and sense. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well this is a depressing thread.

Show of hands please... who here has been threatened with arrest for wearing a skirt here lately? Did someone pass a law I was unaware of?

So what... most men still don't want to wear skirts and floral shirts anymore. That's their right. Styles change, that's life.

Frankly I was unaware that men in skirts was a big thing back in the 70's.

All I know is I've been wearing the clothes I want and freely expressing myself with very little blowback for going on eight years now. I'm growing my hair out again, I frequently wear nail polish at work without issue, for God's sake I even adopted an (American) feminine name! Sky hasn't fallen yet.

Conservatives? Most of them don't care what you wear as long as you're not calling yourself a "woman"... and most people here don't so what's the problem?

I'm calling bullsh!t on this thread.... as the great Billy Joel said, "the good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems".

What has happened since the 70's? Our planet has orbited our closest star about 50 times. That's really about it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 am Well this is a depressing thread.

Show of hands please... who here has been threatened with arrest for wearing a skirt here lately? Did someone pass a law I was unaware of?

So what... most men still don't want to wear skirts and floral shirts anymore. That's their right. Styles change, that's life.

All I know is I've been wearing the clothes I want and freely expressing myself with very little blowback for going on eight years now. I'm growing my hair out again, I frequently wear nail polish at work without issue, for God's sake I even adopted an (American) feminine name! Sky hasn't fallen yet.

Conservatives? Most of them don't care what you wear as long as you're not calling yourself a "woman"... and most people here don't so what's the problem?

I'm calling bullsh!t on this thread.... as the great Billy Joel said, "the good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems".

What has happened since the 70's? Our planet has orbited our closest star about 50 times. That's really about it.
To be honest I can't really recall any number of men in skirts or similar in the 1970's or since quite frankly . In the 1960's though during the height of the 'hippie' era this may have been more so but I would have been too young then to really notice .
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

The only men-in-skirts fashion that I can recall from the past is the vogue for Scottish tartan kilts among some of the punk persuasion. They go very well with the leather and chains look.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:32 am This is more of a vent thread.

Been watching a few 70's movies, and while I'm sure they aren't 100% accurate for what they depict, there was so much more variety, expression. Men had handbags - in fact one I saw I'd gladly carry. They wore flowered shirts, flowey clothes, and bold colors. None of this is much of a shock to me, but I've paid a bit more attention in the last few I've watched.

A thought popped into my head though. Something happened, and poof - drab complacency. Was the 70's the best time for outfits? Probably not, lots if it is a bit cringe looking at it from today's sensibilities. But it could have morphed into something better for men.
I'm only just old enough to remember. It all big collars, flares and long hair. It was somehow OK and not at all girly.
Capture.JPG
The next thing I remember was my six million dollar man trousers and jacket.
Capture.JPG
After that it was all suits and New Romantics who were quite androgynous with wavy hair and makeup.
Capture.JPG
I think it went downhill and never recovered from Madchester and grunge
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 am Well this is a depressing thread.

It wasn't a "big thing" to be certain, but it was being experimented with. There was a lot more colour and frivolity as well -- more fun, if you will. Without actually being there, you have no framework to understand, save for the seemingly hilarious pictures you see "from the dark ages". However, more than a few of us were actually alive then, and recall the period.

I'll not candy-coat the time, for it certainly had its problems -- but, in general, it was a more hopeful time. The suicide rate wasn't through the roof, things were reasonably secure, and the sorts of things that enable the capability to become self-actualised were in place. What do we have today? Drugs-abuse rates with overdoses (likely suicides that nobody talks about), rampant insecurity in the financial sense which brings with it all sorts of other problems, and ongoing wars around the world that grind on peoples' souls.

Yes, styles changed. They changed to reflect the new grim reality -- a brutalistic way of approaching things: in our behaviours, in our fashions, in our tastes, and in our societies. Style will naturally track attitudes. Soft flowing skirts and dresses turned into "leggings" and t-shirts (or shredded denim) and flowered shirts with billowing sleeves with flared trousers turned into t-shirts and jeans. Is this really an improvement?
The good old days certainly weren't always good -- but, and here's the point -- we had hope that we could make them better. Ultimately, we failed: or, more correctly, were were caused to fail by our "leaders".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:29 pm
moonshadow wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 am
The good old days certainly weren't always good -- but, and here's the point -- we had hope that we could make them better. Ultimately, we failed: or, more correctly, were were caused to fail by our "leaders".
My intent was not to be all "woe is us" or ask for a pity party. And no - I'm not asking to go back in time to the fashion of the 70's. There were certainly bad aspects of the time.

I really am more interested in what caused the change, or rather complaining that such a change occurred :D. I suppose I should just slink off and read a book on the subject, but I find this interactive format more interesting than say, reading a tome on "men's fashion of the 70's, and why it got dreadfully boring". We can't discuss skirts all day - at least I can't - so I figured some variety is good when it comes to discussing fashion.